Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Animorphs Re-Read: The Andalite Chronicles (Prologue-Chapter 3)

Well here is the first stop on my journey of re-discovery. I am starting with The Andalite Chronicles since the list I am using lists this first. #1 The Invasion was the first Animorphs book published, but the majority of The Andalite Chronicles takes place before that. This book follows the history of Prince Elfangor (full name Prince Elfangor-Sirinial-Shamtul) who was the Andalite who gave the Animorphs the ability to morph.


Prologue

This is the first Animorphs book I have read in ages, so starting off with the prologue I was very happy. Yeah, I was happy throughout the whole prologue as Elfangor was saying he's dying and he's recording his hirac delest (aka his final words). Does this make me a bad person? Probably.

I remember the Time Matrix playing a part later on in the series (where someone is basically causing havoc throughout time), but I can't remember how much Visser Three remembers of it. The intrigue of what it is and Elfangor's connection to it are all laid out in the prologue.

Another thing is how Elfangor refers to Loren, 'the child', and the fact that the Andalite prince has been to Earth previously but at the same time he hasn't. All of this is good for drawing the reader in.

Finally, I like that Elfangor is shown to really care about Earth and stopping the Yeerks so much that he is willing to break his species' laws for humanity's safety.


 Chapter 1

This is what I love about the Animorphs series and hate about The Host (by Stephenie Meyer): the fact that what the Yeerks doing are wrong. That a species that needs a host to live and has a society made of conquest is not one you can paint as pure or innocent or better than humanity. This is true even when we later learn, not in this book but in another one, that some Yeerks are against taking hosts (but I think I'll save that talk when we actually encounter them).

The fact that we're meeting Elfangor when he is still a cadet helps the target audience connect with him. For one it gives the audience a character who is like them, a youngster who hasn't learned from past mistakes. For another I believe it humanizes the character as I always found god-like characters to not be ones I could connect to in any great degree.

How Sofor speaks to Elfangor while training him sort of reminds me why I should never get a teaching position. I'd want to speak like this. Though why does he have a scar? If we are to believe Sofor morphs, wouldn't his wound have healed?

Elfangor talking about how if he managed to land a hit against Sofor that he'd be considered a hero reminds me of one of my harsh English Professors in college. Great teacher, knew his stuff, but he was not easy to deal with in the classroom (though he was a great guy outside of class).

I like that the Dome Ship is supposed to be a home away from home. A way for the soldiers to find comfort even when they're far away from their planet.

And now we meet Arbron who is a fellow aristh (aka cadet) alongside Elfangor. It is good to have him as he is someone who is different from our lead and so the two can play off of each other. But, if I'm remembering things correctly, Arbron's story will take a dark turn.

I realize now that Elfangor and I both share a hatred of being laughed at because it makes us feel inferior. He even reminds himself how much better he is than Arbron because of how the ranking system works.

So the Andalite technology can send thought speak messages? I guess this makes sense as Andalites are a telepathic species. Also think Arbron's 'taunt' is a form of foreshadowing for later events.

I like how when Elfangor and Arbron get summoned they both go, "Oh, shit, we fucked up. I don't know how, but we must've royally fucked up."


Chapter 2

It seems that Andalite society is very strict in that how many children a couple can have is limited. That just means a lot more to me now and I don't remember getting such a feeling like it before (the fact that birth is controlled, not that the Andalites are in a situation where they need more fighters).

The description Elfangor gives of doing rituals is hilarious. He's basically all like, "Why the fuck do I have such small quarters when I have to do this ritual?!"

I am laughing at the image of an Andalite rolling all four eyes and I don't know why. I swear I'll be fine.

I like both that Elfangor knows what he wants to be in the military and the excitement both he and Arbron have about an upcoming battle. It really sells the fact that these two are inexperienced so much that they aren't worried about themselves or their comrades dying, but just want to do something awesome.

I like that Captain Feyorn, his T.O., and Prince Breeyar (but especially Feyorn) are all painted as invincible and know what they're doing. This is how a great many deal of kids view adults (plus if you're new to a field someone who's done a lot always seems like a god).

I love seeing technology in sci-fi!

The book says our solar system has nine planets! Oh the good old days when Pluto's planet status was recognized.

Oooh! So Elfangor and Arbron were called on the bridge for a training exercise (and I found out the Andalites consider us a Level Six Civilization).

The differences between Elfangor and Arbron are shown. Elfangor is nervous but takes the exercise seriously. Arbron does his best to be serious but ends up making a joke by the end. I like Arbron.

Elfangor realizes that he and Arbron have been called to the bridge not for an exercise to test their commanding abilities, but to do a mission. So basically they weren't told what they were supposed to do, they were fooled into giving themselves orders to board an alien vessel.


Chapter 3

Elfangor sees his chance of flying and goes for it. He even uses his seniority, slight as it is, as a justification to Arbron. I just see Elfangor going, "My tail blade is bigger than yours!"

The talking about different models of ships confuses me. Of course I'm not a car person anyways so I'm as confused about alien ships as I am about cars going down the highway. Why am I admitting this?

The fact that Elfangor is being painted as extremely nervous makes me wonder what the point of doing so is. Is it to have a bigger contrast of how he is in the beginning to the Prince he becomes?

And now a complication with the simple mission which the arisths react with, "Oh my god! We're going to get to fight!"

Because the Skirt Na might have sentient beings on board, the Prince gives the order to shoot to disable and not to kill. Of course Arbron wants to help and Elfangor obliges and goes to where he can let Arbron shoot the Skirt Na ship.

Yes! Elfangor is having some admiration for Arbron. He even compliments the other aristh (though it's an indirect insult, but Elfangor doesn't seem to intend it to be used that way).

The end of the chapter is Elfangor saying how he thought that he was close to being a Prince and would quickly win the war. I love the last line: "I was a fool."


4 comments:

  1. I think you'd make a great teacher bc you have a cool relatability to Elfangor and Arbron but you would actually hold people to standards. :)

    I dont get into real car models very much but I like classifying ships....sometimes.

    I like classifying *war* ships specifically and don't care about the differences between freighters and yachts because every craft should be reliable and practical for combat with a clear best-suited role in its design. :)

    I love the "Jahar" though because it's beautiful and personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much :)

      I could be a tutor but handling a classroom of students is a little too daunting for me :)

      Delete
  2. Its also hugely worth mentioning how much the Skrit Na tie the scenery to more familiar classic widely known sci to traditions.

    Flying Saucers. Little Green Men From Mars. Alien kidnappers. All that good stuff.

    The best OCs in my opinion are usually the form of "You've already heard of this. You know this. But what you didn't know...."

    It gives older myths more legitimacy and gives them new refreshing purpose to help good stories last throughout the ages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sci fi. Autocorrect can die in a hole.

    ReplyDelete