Thursday, July 4, 2013

Hannibal Rising (Thomas Harris)

Title: Hannibal Rising

Series: Hannibal

Author: Thomas Harris

Released: 2006

Rating: 3.5/5

Basic Plot: Hannibal Lecter goes through a terrible experience as a young boy and then seeks revenge on the men responsible.
----------------------------------------------

Why The Book Was Written
I always read up a little on whatever I am reviewing. This helps me find interesting things to talk about as well as making sure I don't make many mistakes. While I was reading this book someone, on Facebook, stated that this book was written merely to have a movie made from it. From Wikipedia (and one or two other sources that I could find), it seems that Harris might've been afraid of someone else writing about Hannibal Lecter. To make a prequel before someone else could, he wrote the novel version and the screenplay around the same time. I don't see that as a reason to hate the book, but a reason to pity the author who was afraid of losing his hold on a series he created.

Revenge Makes Us Less Human
For lack of a real slow and subtle arc that leads us to the Hannibal we know and love from Red Dragon, we must become content with this revenge storyline. I didn't mind this storyline, but there wasn't a real clear descent into the monster that Hannibal became. As he got his revenge on more of the men that harmed him and his sister, it seemed he took more and more pleasure from killing them. Even remarking on the death of one that he liked killing the man, but hated allowing him even a second longer to live. And by the end he kills a guy because he had nothing better to do, basically. But there was no clear descent. He just started off innocent and then it seems he's a monster all of a sudden.

A Cannibal to His Core
Hannibal "the Cannibal" Lecter is shown to be a cannibal at a very early age. Some of his killings in this book are shown to involve him eating his victims. One theme of his cannibalism, at least in this book, is his eating the cheeks of his victims. This happens the first time after a cook talks about eating fish and that cheeks are special. Of course Hannibal's earliest human meal is a big trigger for him.

Final Thoughts
I had heard, before reading this book, that Hannibal Rising is not liked by the majority of the Hannibal fandom. I enjoy this book and I feel I fell into my usual liking of things that a lot of the fandom doesn't like. However, one complaint I do have of this book is that Hannibal becoming a monster should've been shown better. Hell, him being born as a monster would be great too. I am of the opinion that labeling Hannibal as a villain is simplifying him. He isn't good, but he does good at times. And, even when he does bad, sometimes he is trying to make a person fulfill their potential. So hearing "monster" and "villain" describing the infamous doctor annoys me as it defines him in simple terms. So a descent into what he is in Red Dragon is preferable to me. The book, overall, wasn't the worst I have ever read.


No comments:

Post a Comment