Friday, January 14, 2011

Harassing on the Internet

I have nothing against stating your beliefs on subjects. However, there are appropriate and inappropriate times to bring those beliefs up. Such as I was on this one board and the original poster (OP) was giving thanks to God and was excited that she was able to help raise money for the floods in Australia.

What would you expect an appropriate response to this to be? How about starting an argument about how God doesn't exist, that you shouldn't be so outgoing about your faith, and harassing anyone who says you're wrong for doing the aforementioned?

Yeah, because the right thing wouldn't be to congratulate the person and keep your beliefs to yourself.

The internet seems to bring out the worst in people so I shouldn't have been too surprised with this board. I like to be polite because I would want others to be polite to me. But some on the internet seem to take delight out of harassing others. Guess they are picked on and take out their rage on the internet.

That's why there are sites like 4Chan and Encyclopedia Dramatica: people get off on being trolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment