Thursday, January 6, 2011

"1922" (Full Dark, No Stars)

I decided to review each of the stories in Stephen King's most recent story collection (Full Dark, No Stars) individually. Thank you very much to the person who gave me the book as a Christmas present!

Name of Story: 1922

Title of Book: Full Dark, No Stars

Author: Stephen King

Released: 2010

Rating: 6/5

Basic Plot: Wilf decides that in order to keep his farmland, plus his wife's farmland, he'll have to murder her (because she wants to move). After killing her, with the help of his son, chaos and madness ensue.

How It Is Told
The form the story is told in is a confession letter. Wilf is in a hotel room and is writing the letter to finally tell the truth of what happened. He also plans to commit suicide after completing the letter. This gives an excuse to talk directly to the audience. The only problem with that is when he dies it's a little awkward.

Feel of the Story
It is depressing. It is more than depressing, it is just downright cruel with what it does. The murder of the wife is just the beginning. If you get scared sh**less and can't sleep well after reading that part, don't bother to read the rest. I cringe at this story but, at the same time, if it wasn't as engaging I wouldn't feel that way. If a story can affect me deeply, like this one did, it did something right.

Knowing What is Real
By the end of the story Wilf has gone crazy and so imagines things. I would like to say straight up that he is insane and is imagining everything that is happening to him, but I can't. At the end the news article states that he bit himself to death and it makes references to rats (which he had been "imagining" he was seeing). What makes me think that he might not have been totally crazy is the fact that Stephen King writes about the supernatural a lot of the time.

Will This Be a Good Movie?
While this story was very compelling I can't see it being a good movie. True, some of the scenes were very fun to read (the type of fun where "gross" and "creepy" are understatements), but most of what is happening is good because it is in Wilf's head. There are voice overs, but what's really the point of seeing a movie that's read to you?

Final Thoughts
This is a great story to read. The whole story left me with the feeling that the end of Cujo (also by Stephen King) also left me with. It is an enjoyable read but is not good for those that want a happy story. This being Stephen King, there are sexual themes as well as graphic violence. All my younger readers out there: Ask your parents before you read this story.

Note
I haven't yet finished the whole book yet so I don't know if it is worth buying the book (Full Dark, No Stars) just for this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment