Monday, January 24, 2011

Objectifying People

Women. For a long time women have been the innocent creatures that need to be protected. Even in this modern day and age women are still looked at somewhat innocently. If they do anything bad it's because they are coerced to by men who control society.

I do think that women are sometimes looked at as nothing more than objects to be played with and discarded. I know some men that look down on women as weak and should be forced around as cattle. But, at the same time, some women will look down on men as some men look down on women. Is this because they want to be the same as men? No. They don't care about men.

The truth is that some people will always objectify others. Recently a boy made a list ranking girls on a certain criteria. The list contained crude things and was posted on Facebook. As you are getting worked up about that remember that earlier a woman made a list talking about how good certain men were at effing her. Which one do you think is worse?

Personally, I don't mind either. The thing that I find a problem with is that the first one was posted on Facebook and the second one was sent in an e-mail (which was meant to be private, but you know how that goes).

Why don't I find a problem with it? Am I just a horrible person? No, I'm not getting my panties in a bunch for nothing. Those two people were objectifying people like everyone does at least once (if you haven't looked at a hot person, maybe an actor, like you wanted them you are a saint).

But, I guess, the bigger problem is that people don't look at what's underneath. I believe that you have to look underneath to truly love a person but what is outside really hits home quicker. It's a horrible part of our world but something we all have to live with.

Before you start eying women/men be aware of this one fact: Just because people objectify others doesn't mean you should be a jerk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment