Friday, April 6, 2018

Crossing the Divide 90

This is a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil crossover fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders. For Resident Evil I'm referring to the movieverse.

This chapter has been edited due to content. A graphic sex scene has been cut. I also made smaller edits throughout the chapter. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

The cold tried to tear into me as I continued to fight the Night’s King. Both of us focused only on the other. He had lived for a long time and was no amateur. While I had grown up in a pack and had to learn to kill from a young age, he had been fighting even longer. Even if he started learning later in life he had had more than enough time to learn more than me. The power Jorah had given me was barely enough to fend off the ancient being.

“Heal that, *****!” I heard Lei cry out just as there was an explosion.

When the fire from a dragon, which must have landed in the camp by accident, came crashing into the ground both myself and the Night’s King were flown a few feet. As I went through the air I saw Arya and the Hound making their way out of the camp. My men’s numbers were fewer than before but at least some were making it out alive. Those, like Bronn, had cuts that would leave scars for years to come.

While I flew through the air the Night’s King started to attack me. I had to use my own powers to make sure I didn’t go crashing into the ground. That would have given my enemy more than enough time to kill me. Jorah had given me an order and I would follow it. Not just for Jon, but for the rest of Westeros. For the rest of the world. If the dead ever got beyond their inability to swim, the rest of the world would have problems.

The Night’s King aimed a blow at my stomach and I wasn’t able to block it in time. Instead my skin became impossible to break as his sword pieced my skin. I aimed a blow at his neck but he stepped back, abandoning his sword. I broke his weapon but left the blade in. I was sure that I could get it out later, but if I took it out now I could bleed to death.

“You want to die.” I told the Night’s King. “Let me help you.”

“No!” He cried out and I heard both of his personalities fight for control.
As he screamed there was dragonfire all around. Through the thick flames I could see Ice dragons fighting Ice dragons. I didn’t have much time to look as the Night’s King attacked me. Our fight took us throughout the camp and I could see wights burn. Their screams echoed in my mind and I had to yell out. I let my body react as it would so that my focus would stay on my enemy.

“No!” The Night’s King yelled to a White Walker. “This filth is mine to kill. Go to the prisoners and kill them.”

The White Walker nodded and stopped his attack. Throughout the entire talk I had been fighting. I was getting better as the fight progressed but that meant nothing if the ancient being had a higher endurance. And then I had to think of my men who were risking their lives for me. The Night’s King had thick skin and not even Valyrian steel was piercing it. If I could not crack it then all was lost. Unless…

“Valyrian steel can kill my men.” The Night’s King said with a chuckle. “But to think I would have the same weakness? I am much stronger than them. Why would I be harmed by Valyrian steel?”

I put Alexander down and focused on the depths of my powers. I focused as I dodged the Night’s King. I had to avoid kicks, punches, and other attacks. As my world turned into fiery chaos I had to focus on all the powers I had gathered. With Jorah’s order I had been granted more powers to kill the Night’s King. Now to figure them out. Killing the ancient being would’ve been so much easier if I just had to stab him with a sword.

Ice powers were out of the question. The Night’s King was the lord of ice. Even the flames of a dragon couldn’t harm him. There was another kind of fire I had within me. A kind I rarely used as it was hard for me to access. I shoved the Night’s King away so I could focus.

Wildfire engulfed my being. The Night’s King looked at me and stood still. I had frightened him or his sane side was gaining control again. Never before had I been able to control wildfire like this. It felt like a part of me. I looked at the Night’s King and bowed.

“I pity you, Night’s King.” I said. “I kill you not out of anger but out of mercy. If there was a way of saving you I would. But there is no way. May whatever afterlife there is grant you peace.”

Out of my hands came balls of wildfire that crashed into the Night’s King. He yelled curses to me and the rest of mankind. I wished that there had been a hint of his sane side to thank me. To show me at the end that part of his human self had remained. That his human side had been there to understand all I had done. But that was not to be. Only the rage side of him was there as he went away into nothingness.

As the last bits of the Night’s King burned away there was cheering. I called the wildfire back to me and used my regular abilities to create a gust of wind powerful enough to soothe the fires caused by the dragons. I looked up and saw there was peace between the dragons. Now that the leader of the dead had gone, those loyal to the Night’s King had decided that fighting the living was worthless.

The next few hours were spent seeing who had lived and who had died. Jon’s body had been turned to ash. However, Jorah still decided to spend time next to where our husband had died. Soon we were joined by Ghost who held his head low. We all stood in silence afraid to speak. Speaking would make the Stark’s death more real. More permanent. Finally we were able to turn away and start the next part of our lives. All except for the direwolf  that lay on his master's ashes.
* * *
“They surprised us.” Arya Stark said. “We thought that they were further away and so we decided to rest. Rhaegal was off hunting when the Night’s King came.”

We were all in a large tent that was serving as the royal family’s until we got to a castle. Jorah sat beside me and put on a façade of calm. Arya was bruised but wasn’t seriously injured. The Hound stood beside her looking displeased by everything around him. His burned face made him appear angrier than he would otherwise. Lei was off in a corner looking strong but I could tell that she didn’t want to be here. Bronn was in a smaller tent as his injuries were serious enough that healers were needed.
“Why did no one guess where you were?” I asked.

“Because we decided to help Ser Davos at the Twins instead of going to King’s Landing.” The Hound replied. “The raven we sent might not have reached him.”

“The last time we spoke with anyone we were near King’s Landing and we were going to make sure the people there were prepared.” Arya continued. “But Jon decided to change his plans as Davos was in more immediate danger.”

Jorah and I looked at each other. Davos had been extremely important to Jon. He had been his advisor and friend. It was good that at least that man was alive. Hopefully. It would take some time to go through the Seven Kingdoms to make sure everyone was alive. I was certain Theon wouldn’t break away but there was a chance. If he did then I wouldn’t mind ruling the Six Kingdoms.

“We understand the late king’s decision.” I replied. “If the Night’s King wanted someone then he would get that person. It was only a matter of time before one of the royal family was captured. Arya Stark, Jon didn’t die weak. He died strong as he wouldn’t give the Night’s King the joy of seeing him in pain.”

Arya nodded. I knew the only way to make her happy but I couldn’t do that. Not even Melisandre could bring him back. Her eyes were sad and I was certain they would remain so for awhile. Jon had not been just her brother but her lover. With a belly that was starting to bulge there was no doubt that the baby was his. Unless the Hound was the father.

“Arya, is the child’s father dead?” I asked and she put a hand on her stomach.

“Yes.” She said as her voice broke. “He should be here to help raise it.”

“It seems you may have another man to raise your child with.”

The Hound’s face softened and he nodded. He put a hand on Arya’s shoulder and she took it. He was the bigger of the two but not the most deadly. The Stark would make a good mother and ruler. I did not yet know enough about the Hound to make any conclusions about him. I trusted her opinions on people and so he gained a little faith from me.

“I will be going back to Winterfell.” Arya said. “Sandor Clegane will be my husband and the Lord of Winterfell.”

“I will be more than happy to help perform the ceremony.” I said.

Things would start to be rebuilt even if hearts never could be. Then it hit me who I would have to be saying good-bye to soon. The life I had built in the Nightmare would not exist anymore for me. It couldn’t exist now that both wars had ended. No longer would I see Eve or Eyrie. I would have no more chances to spend time with Hisara.

Tears came out of my eyes as reality came crashing onto me. I had made the decision a long time ago to grow old and die in my home reality. Westeros needed to be rebuilt as much as the Nightmare did. No matter what dreams came to me I could only help rebuild one. I wanted to stay in my home and I would stick to that decision.

“Rin?” Jorah asked and put a hand on my shoulder.

I couldn’t respond as I allowed all my emotions to hit me at once. Khaleesi was dead after fighting bravely. Jon had been executed while unable to fight. Alex had died saving me. All my children that had died. All the death and pain from the last few years enveloped me. Now was a time of peace where I could feel all the pain without worry. I could spend a day or two in a daze as we went to a castle. Then I would have to become conscious again. For now, though, I could get as lost as I needed to. As lost as my heart needed to so it could recover.

“Rin?” Arya asked.
I looked at the girl and could tell she was scared by this side of me. The side that was weak. The side that could fall apart and never be able to be repaired. The last time I had felt like this was when my dragon had died. I had been able to find refuge in the Raqus estate until I had healed enough to move on. The first time I had felt like this was when my pack came down with rabies and I had to kill them. That sorrow had lead me to Old Valyria.

“I’m going to need a few days.” I told them. “The war is over now and I’m feeling again. Really feeling. All the sacrifices and deaths. I am strong when I have to be but when I can be weak I take the chance. I will heal but it won’t be complete. I have lost and given up too much to ever truly heal.”

“At least our House will carry on.” Jorah told me. “Everything you have done won’t be in vain. Long after we are gone, the legacy you start will continue.”

“We should leave her be.” Lei said. “When we get to the Twins we’ll talk to her again.”

I nodded and was glad I had such a friend as the Lannister.
* * *
“Your Graces,” Davos said with a bow.

“The Night’s King is dead.” I replied. “I need ravens sent out so we can start to rebuild.”

My voice was strong and yet I still felt distant. It was as if someone else were using my mouth. It was as if I were just a passenger in someone else’s body. My mind was clearer than it had been all journey. Jorah had tried to **** me but gave up as he saw how stressed I really was. Sex usually was the solution to make me feel better, but not that time.

“You’re certain?” Davos asked seeming to be unable to believe it.

“I killed him.” I replied.

“When I saw the dead just…explode I thought he was dead. But I didn’t want to believe. It seemed like that evil thing would never die.”

I didn’t know how to explain to him how pitiful the Night’s King was. While he had been more than dangerous, he was a victim. The Children of the Forest had used him for their own ends and then reaped what they had sowed. Soon I would get his story out but not now. Not now as it was soon after the fighting had ended.

“Is Edmure Tully still here?” Jorah asked. “Or did he die in the fighting?”

“He’s alive.” Davos said. “Though heavily injured. You can talk to him if you want to.”

“Knowing he is alive is good enough for me.” I replied. “I’ll allow him his rest for now. Before I leave I will talk with him.”

The next few minutes were full of talk before I was finally in a room alone with my love. Jorah looked at me and I put a hand on his chest. Now his body felt more real. The fog in my mind was lifting as now there were things for me to do. Things for me to decide on that could affect the lives of many. I put my arms around his neck and he leaned down to kiss me. Tasting him started to truly wake me up.

“Are you better, my love?” He asked and I nodded. “You scared me. I didn’t think I’d ever get you back.”

“I always come back.” I reassured him. “It’s just at times I am weak. There are not many times like that, though. I don’t tend to allow myself those kinds of luxuries.”

“The thing to hold onto is that we are still standing. Even though Jon and our son are dead, we are still here.”

“Here we stand.”

We kissed and I helped him undress. The next few minutes passed in a flurry of passion.

“I have loved you.” Jorah said after we were done and I was in his arms. “I will continue to love you until the day we die. When I first saw you I knew I had found someone special. Someone that I had to be with forever. Just a few hours would have never been enough.”

“We don’t have Jon Stark.” I replied to my love. “But we have each other and that will do.”

We spent awhile just looking at each other. Our journey had led us down some strange paths. Strange paths that had kept us together no matter the chaos around us.
* * *
“Your graces,” Davos said with a  bow as Jorah and myself walked with him through the Red Keep.

It had been years since the war had ended and spring had just started. I had been waiting for all this time to be called back into the Nightmare to say my final good-byes. The gods seemed to be punishing me with how they would not allow that to happen just yet. At least after the war there had been many things to focus on in the Seven Kingdoms and so the fear of saying good-bye to the Nightmare was lessened.

“I heard you were busy preparing for Arya and Sandor’s arrival.” Jorah said. “Her children are nearly as wild as she is.”

“As are yours.” Davos replied with a smirk.

Ser Davos Seaworth had proven himself to be a reliable Hand throughout the years. The changes I had wanted made to the political landscape were slowly happening. There was more importance placed on rebuilding rather than restructuring. As we continued our walk I saw a Rasiki hurry past us. In that final battle they had been at other places guarding against the dead.

“That they are.” I replied. “And disturbing to some.”

The next stage of the Kaari was a mixture of both human and dragon. As if there had been a balance found between the two. They had wings on their backs, a dragon’s tail, dragon teeth instead of human ones, dragon feet, hands that looked like claws, and scales instead of human skin. They did have human genitalia, hair, and the girls had the beginnings of tits. They were beautiful to me and when they were older I was sure they could find human mates if they wanted to.

“I wonder why they bother to complain about your children when the Nieth have found a permanent residence in Westeros.” Davos said. “Chl’lor and a few others have found a good home in Storm’s End.”

“Because they helped Westeros rebuild after the war.” Jorah answered. “Them and their wyverns are revered for that reason. The only man to send ravens complaining is Bronn.”

I had to hold back a chuckle. Bronn had gotten Storm’s End after the war. He had been pleased until he realized he had to house the Nieth who didn’t always like humans. It had been hard for both sides and yet a peace was able to be reached.

“Is Lei here yet?” A voice asked and I saw one of my children.
He was running to me, his tail held high above him. He was going slower because of that and yet he was too excited to care. Him and the others who had hatched were wandering around. Today was one of the few days I let them do whatever they wanted. Tomorrow would begin a set of training days yet again.

“She is still at Castle Rock, Essi.” I said as I took him in my arms. “Lei has duties to perform as head of House Lannister.”

“I thought Jaime was the head of the House?” Essi replied.

“He’s still part of my Queensguard and so can hold no titles or lands.”

I blinked.

“Sir, are you okay?” The Mormonts asked as I gasped for breath.

It had been so long away that I had reacted abnormally. Now I had reacted as if I were in some great pain. As I thought about my reaction I realized it had been the anticipation that had caused the gasp. The anticipation of the pain had made me feel as if I were dying. Soon I would have to say good-bye to those I loved.

“I am fine.” I said and waved him away. “It’s just…the war is over. There can finally be peace.”

The man took that reply and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment