Monday, January 8, 2018

Crossing the Divide 86

This is a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil crossover fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders. For Resident Evil I'm referring to the movieverse.

This chapter has been edited due to content. There were no big scenes cut or edited down this time. I did make minor edits throughout the chapter. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

“I sense someone new.” Chl’lor said.

Once I had gathered my strength back, Melisandre and myself had flown to meet the Nieth. We had been extremely careful about transporting R’hllor. After death the Ghost had given off such a sense of evil that I wanted to burn him. But if I did that then the alliance with the Nieth would not happen. And against the dead the living needed all the help they could get.

“Her name is Melisandre.” I explained. “She has decided to not hide her appearance.”

“Her illusion was such a part of her that she seems like someone new without it.” Chl’lor said.

Melisandre said nothing and I could guess why. She was starting a new life as she was too ashamed of the old one. I could not begin to imagine all the doubts and fears that were swirling around in her mind. Haunting her and making her doubt everything. If she survived the war then I would do my best to help her build a new life. Or maybe she was so old that she wished only for the sweet release of death. A death that would be a gift at this point in her life.

“How long will it take for the other riders to arrive?” I asked as I put R’hllor onto the wyvern’s back.

The wyvern seemed to shrug its shoulders. It was such an uncharacteristic move of the creature that I knew the reaction had been Chl’lor’s. The journey for him would be long and there would be other time delays. There would be time needed to convince the rest of Sothoryos to help join the fight against the dead. My status as Lightbringer and Jorah’s as Azor Ahai should help greatly. Since I had killed R’hllor that should also allow an easier time of an alliance being formed.

“I am not the most important rider.” Chl’lor admitted. “Leading the search to find R’hllor was the most important thing I have done and should help raise my status. I will not fail you in getting help even if I must bring dishonor onto myself. You killed R’hllor and so I will honor my agreement.”

“If you’re not that high ranked how were you able to leave Sothoryos?” I asked.

“I had proven myself many times in the past. I had never shown myself to be anything other than trustworthy.”

“And you will really betray your honor for me?”
“You killed R’hllor. You, unlike most humans, deserve my respect.”

I watched as the Nieth mounted his wyvern. The creature was small and yet as deadly as any dragon. Chl’lor had never said exactly how high ranked he was. I didn’t think it mattered as what he had to say and show went beyond rank. If his species was too arrogant to help then I would deal with that. But I highly doubted Sothoryos would abandon me. Melisandre and myself watched as Chl’lor headed towards his home.

“It could be that Westeros has already fallen.” Melisandre said. “If we go back we may find nothing.”

“Then I will die fighting a hopeless battle.” I replied. “I will die knowing I did all I could. I will honor the memories of Jorah Mormont and Jon Stark. You can fall apart after the war, Melisandre. For now I need you. Since R’hllor was nothing, all that you accomplished in your life was due to your own power. Everything you were able to do, such as raising Jon from the dead, was from your own power.”

I wanted to bring up Melisandre’s wrongs but knew that would not help. I needed her to come back with me as Arya Stark would be expecting her. If the young Stark didn’t care about the Red Priestess’ fate I would leave her to wander Essos. I would allow her to decide her own fate and decide what to do with the rest of her life. Maybe she would’ve stayed in Asshai or maybe she would’ve wandered to Meereen. Maybe she would’ve even eventually run into Father.

“I need to make a stop at the Raqus estate before we go back.” I told Melisandre. “I want my bones to be brought there. If I do die during the war I want my remains to be in the first spot I found out I was human.”
* * *
The stop at the Raqus base had been short and full of memories. All of us, even Melisandre, wanted me to stay longer. But much too soon I had to leave. I had a duty to Westeros and the living and so couldn’t waste time in the past. Once the war was over I would visit my family from time to time.

Melisandre shivered on my back as the shores of Westeros could be seen. The Vale would be a short distance away and then we could rest. I sensed Jorah close by and that made me happy. I also sensed two things that weren’t as pleasant: I felt myself about to lay some more eggs and Viserion.

As I passed over the first of the mountains I could start to see my brother’s form. No, he was my brother no longer. Now he was a pawn of the Night’s King. A creature so fowl that he would destroy all of the living. Maybe there was a reason for his actions but it didn’t matter. What did matter was that his death was the only way to save the world of the living. The world of people I knew and loved.

Even though I knew my brother was now the enemy, I didn’t want to fight him. He was one of the few family members I had. It pained me to know what must be done. On his back I expected to see the Night’s King riding his mount into battle. Possibly Jorah was fighting a battle in the Vale and the Night’s King decided it was important enough to join in. But then why was there no rider? Was the Night’s King so unlike a human he wouldn’t ride a dragon for mere pride?

I growled and Melisandre held onto me tighter than before. With each beat of my wings I got closer to my brother. Closer to killing my dear brother. I noticed something strange. Viserion looked more than happy to see me. He let out a loud roar that shook the air around me but it was a sound that was one of delight. He wanted to play. He wanted to see me again. I slowed down to a less aggressive speed but still showed him I was cautious.

“What are you doing?” Melisandre yelled. “Kill him before he kills us!”

If I could’ve spoken I would have explained my reasoning. A reasoning I was growing more unsure of as the seconds passed. Finally the moment of contact was at hand. He was slightly higher than me and dove down. Then he spun around and flew up above me, his wing beats causing me to waver. If Viserion had been controlled by the Night’s King he would’ve attacked me. I was about to join in the game and then I felt the eggs. Viserion read my expression and guided me to the Eyrie.

There had been a battle that had left the Army of the Dead not able to reach their targets. The dead soldiers had all been resurrected as there were no fresh corpses down below. New wights with bloodied armor were mixed with the old. Some wights were completely dead and unmoving. Viserion and myself kept looking out for one of the spears. The battle must have waged for a long time and so the White Walkers were taking a break to come up with a new strategy. At least that is what I gathered.

Viserion showed me where to land and I followed him. Before Melisandre was all the way off of me I transformed back. This caused her to fall off and tumble. I didn’t care as there were more important things to worry about.

“Ah!” I yelled out as eggs started to come out of me.

The first came out before I could fully remove my pants. The next came just as I successfully pulled my pants down. I closed my eyes and counted the number of eggs Jon had helped with. Jon…was Jorah only here because Jon was gone? Or had they split up? Was Rhaegal alive?

I heard a few hurried steps come towards me. I looked and there were a few soldiers. They looked at the twelve eggs I had just laid. We just looked at each other for a few minutes before anything happened. I first had to inform them who Melisandre was as now she did not hide her appearance. They kept referring to me as ‘Your Grace’ as they helped me bring my eggs into the Eyrie. They reassured me that Jorah would see me soon.

“You’re back!” Lei said and I saw a change in her.
Her hair was braided and she had a warrior’s look in her eyes. It was much refined since last time. Much deadlier than before. Her bow and quiver were on her back as if they were always meant to be there. She must have seen a lot of fighting to be so changed. The strength and light I had seen in her before had transformed. She looked more angelic than last time. I waved to the guards to continue on to my chambers.

“How much fighting have you seen?” I asked her.

“You can tell?” Lei asked suddenly shy. “I’ve…I’ve seen a lot of death. I’ve faced death. I’ve seen those I care about die. With the living it was different, it was normal. But with the White Walkers…they terrify me. Fighting them terrifies me. So I thought how you would react and I became brave.”

Her eyes gleamed and I could tell there was something she wanted to tell me. A truth that made her more than happy. Before I could ask a wolf ran at me. It jumped on me nearly knocking me over and I laughed. After rubbing it behind the ears it ran off.

“Nymeria allowed us to have half of her pack.” Lei said. “Nymeria Sand also has been extremely generous with her support.”

“So she was able to reclaim Dorne?” I asked. “And I have a feeling there is something you want to tell me.”

“You are right on both accounts. I want to tell you that I’m Viserion’s rider. Bran was able to tap into his mind and free the dragon from the Night’s King. He helped me bound with your brother. I…I…I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, I don’t. I trust you with him.”

Lei handed me one of her arrows and I could see that it was different than most. It was heavier and perfect for being shot from dragon back. It would serve her well in fighting and yet it seemed better than the majority of arrows I had seen. The arrow was tipped with Valyrian Steel a material that was rare even when its making was no longer a secret.

“Are all your arrows so well made?” I asked pointing to the Valyrian steel.

“No.” Lei replied and I gave her her arrow back. “Not even half. Most are made of dragonglass. Jaime is the one that pushed for special arrows for me as I am now Viserion’s rider. So you killed R’hllor? I’m sorry, I didn’t ask your name.”

“Melisandre.” Melisandre replied.

“Oh, you don’t have your illusion anymore. Did something happen?”

“R’hllor turned out to not be a god and he cared nothing for me. Rin did kill him and the world is better for it. No longer will people be fooled into serving him. No one will make the same mistake I did.”

Lei looked like she wanted to comfort the woman but she didn’t. Melisandre had given the Lannister a cold look and I knew why. She didn’t want the pity. It might be that she didn’t mind me pitying her as I had been there when she had learned the truth. It might be that she actually respected me. In any case the old hag didn’t accept the Lannister’s pity.

“How was it like killing a god?” Lei asked.

“He was no god.” I replied and then we turned to see Jorah.

As always seeing him made my body yearn to embrace him. His eyes and face. The way he held himself with such assurance. He looked at me and I could tell there was a smile about to break out. The only reason one didn’t was that there were people watching.

 “This is Melisandre.” I told my husband. “After seeing that R’hllor was a god and he didn’t care about her, she decided to change her ways. She is no longer a Red Priestess but a woman searching for a purpose.”

Jorah nodded. I would explain to him later that she had destroyed her necklace shortly before we encountered the Nieth. I would tell him about the whole ordeal. But that would be left for later. Now was a time of greetings and reassurances. Later would be the time to tell him everything.

“Lei, show Melisandre to a room.” Jorah commanded. “I need to talk to the queen alone.”

I followed his footsteps to our room. On the way there we were silent. I saw guards and knights all tired from the fighting. Like Daenerys’ initial invasion of Westeros, I had been away from the action. On one hand that made me feel like I had abandoned my people but on the other I had been doing something important. I had removed a being that might have proved trouble later on in the war.

“Is Jon alive?” I asked as soon as the door was shut.

“Yes,” Jorah replied. “And he is a good warrior. He is dealing with the dead in the west. Things were much more chaotic than we anticipated. We haven’t seen each other for awhile now. We do communicate through ravens when we can but sometimes they don’t arrive. Bran has said that the Night’s King is warging into them to disrupt communication. Either that or having his men shoot them down.”

“That is wise.”
“We have received a message from the Night’s King. A raven arrived from him asking for one of the rulers of Westeros to meet with him. We think due to Bran freeing Viserion the Night’s King will talk with us.”

“Where is Bran if you can talk to him so easily?”

“He’s in the Eyrie. He likes to be close to Viserion.”

“So he doesn’t trust his own abilities?”

“I don’t think that’s the reason. I think it’s more due to the fact he wants to try and see if he can replicate his success with wights.”

“I will have to thank him for freeing my brother.”

“I think he was able to free your brother because Viserion adores you.”

I smiled. It made me happy to think that Viserion had been able to free himself because of me. That he was so loyal to me that he could not be affected by mind control. Even though my family was mostly gone, at least the ones that remained were more than loyal. Jon, Arya, Benjen, Bran, and Viserion. I loved my family that remained. I looked at where the eggs were and imagined the future of the Kaari. How we would rise again out of the ashes.

I sat down on the bed and Jorah sat beside me. We simply held hands and enjoyed the presence of the other. A part of me wanted to **** my love so badly. Yet another part of me was exhausted. I had traveled from Castle Black to Asshai. From Asshai to the Eyrie. I had also fought a god-like being and won while being badly injured. That part of me just wanted to go to sleep.

“Rest, my love.” Jorah said sweetly and I nodded.

He helped change me from my traveling clothes to those I wore to bed. I watched as Jorah changed and admired the body that was mine. That would love me long after Jon Stark was dead. After he was ready he came into the bed and I embraced him. My head found a comfortable place on his chest and his hands settled on my back. In a few quick moments we were both asleep. Him with the sleep of a human and me with the restless sleep of a direwolf.
* * *
I woke up and felt the warmth of my love. Of my Jorah. Of my Azor Ahai. The pains from before didn’t seem to exist anymore. I didn’t disturb him but just watched. I watched his chest go up and down with each breath he took. I watched his face that was at peace with the world. Everything was calm when I looked at him.

He opened up one eye and then the other to look at me. I kissed his lips and his hands went through my hair. I closed my eyes and took in his touch. Just as I was getting fully lost in his touch there was knocking on the door.

“Your Graces?” Selmy’s voice said.

“Later.” Jorah said and kissed me on the lips.

I made sure I was presentable before walking over to the door. The Lord Commander of my Queensguard bowed to me after I opened the door. He looked like he had been in quite the fight recently. His armor was dented in places and his face looked more worn out than usual. But at least he was alive and able to continue his duties. I had once blamed him for Jorah’s greyscale to the extent I had doubted how well he could serve me.

“Has a decision been made on what to do about the Night’s King’s offer?” Selmy asked. “We can only spare a few more hours if you do want to meet him.”

The Night’s King. I hadn’t found time to think about the request and yet a decision had to be made. Jorah couldn’t make the decision now that his queen, the one who outranked him, had returned. To the humans it wouldn’t be proper even though it made more sense. The dead talked in a language said to be unable to be translated by the living. If I used my magic maybe I had a chance of translating what the Night’s King said.

“If there is a way of peace we should take it.” I replied. “I highly doubt the Night’s King wants peace, though. So when I go to talk with him make battle preparations for when he betrays us.”

“I offer my services to go with you.” Selmy said.

I shook my head. For this I couldn’t waste time and dragons were the fastest method of transportation. Viserion was here already and so Lei would also go. I was sure I could find a few of the others quickly. The war against the dead raged across Westeros and dragons were the best weapon against the White Walkers.

“You will stay and protect the Eyrie.” I ordered. “Jorah will go with me as my rider. I will need him if I am to use my greatest powers. Unlike with R’hllor, he can’t give a simple command. I will also take Lei and Viserion. Is there any word on where my other dragons are?”

“Ser Davos was last known to be fighting at the Twins.” Selmy said. “Jeor has also been known to come whenever Jorah has called for him.”

“Then I will take Jeor. Unless The Twins are close to where I am to meet the Night’s King?”

“No, Your Grace.”
I nodded. That was good news. I was risking my life and one of the kings’ which was enough of the royal family. Jon and Davos being left from this suicide mission was a good thing. Jon was king and if all the royal family died then Davos would rule. He was a good man with wise words, though I didn’t talk to him much. From what I did know he was more than loyal and true.

“Tell Lei she is going with me on this mission, Ser Selmy.” I told him. “I will be ready to go shortly.”

A few minutes later Jorah and Selmy told me everything they knew about the meeting. From what had gone on during the war to where the meeting was to be held.
* * *
“So we’re going to kill the Night’s King?” Lei asked excitedly.

Her, myself, and Jorah were walking to meet Viserion and Jeor. A few guards surrounded us as we walked. I and my husband were silent while Lei was much more talkative. Maybe it was the fear getting to her and this is how she had learned to control it. I didn’t mind as I trusted her in the heat of battle to remain strong. In the end that’s all that really mattered.

“That is not the goal.” Jorah replied. “He is an extremely powerful being. I don’t think it wise to do an offensive attack. Not without more troops with us.”

Lei nodded. As I watched her now it was hard to see the woman who had helped me while imprisoned in King’s Landing. That woman would not be walking with the self-assured footsteps even while I could tell she was afraid. This was a stupid mission but I wanted to know more about the enemy and this was the way to do it. When the meeting went on Jorah would stay on Jeor and Lei would stay on Viserion. Both would act as my backup when things went wrong. It had taken awhile to convince them to flee if it seemed like I was beyond help. I was going to be stupid but not foolish.

I blinked.

“Have the three put into a holding cell.” I told Noah. “I will look at them soon.”


I was afraid to see the Alex I had only gone to because I had lost my own. I was afraid to see Alice as I didn’t know how she would react to the more aggressive war tactics. I was going after people who had the same DNA as her, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment