Friday, January 26, 2018

Crossing the Divide 87

This is a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil crossover fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders. For Resident Evil I'm referring to the movieverse.

This chapter has been edited due to content. A graphic sex scene has been cut. I also made smaller edits throughout the chapter. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

Sam walked with me to where the three were being held. Four Rasiki, including Chris Redfield, walked around us. One in the front, back, left, and right. Their armor was different than the rest of the Mormonts and showed their rank clearly to anyone that looked. I hadn’t wanted Sam to come but he had insisted. He knew that I might need help after the confrontation.

I tried to imagine what seeing Alex alive again would be like. I had to remain calm when I saw him and Hisara. My daughter that I had left behind had come to me yet again. And yet again I would have to leave her behind. It pained me but I wouldn’t risk the fabric of reality for my own needs.

The guards in front of the holding cell saluted me. The cell was a room that was made of pure steel. It had been made specifically for Alice clones during the time I had thought that we could be allies. This would help protect those outside the cell but not those inside.

“Are you sure you don’t want me in there with you?” Chris asked. “One of the Council shouldn’t risk their life like this.”

“Alice won’t harm me.” I reassured him. “She might be angry but I don’t see her attacking me. I left on good terms with her.”

I nodded at Sam before going in. He had wanted to join me but understood why he couldn’t. Alex wouldn’t react kindly to seeing a clone of himself. As the door shut behind me I saw all three pairs of eyes look at me. Alex was trying to control his happiness as he would assume I was a clone. Hisara was struggling to get out of her father’s arms to come to me. Alice was stoic and sat close to Alex as if she were guarding him. A strategy that seemed to come from a place of love.

“So Umbrella cloned you.” Alice said as I walked up to the table.

There were two chairs for Alice and Alex with one chair on the opposite side for me. I sat down and I allowed my thoughts to gather. They all went different ways without warning. Fear and happiness all rolled together with many emotions mixed in.

“They tried.” I said calmly. “What this reality’s Alex found out was that I can’t be cloned but my blood can be used for other purposes.”

No one said anything to my statement. I could understand how being in a different reality could be confusing the first time. I could understand how difficult it could be to comprehend more than one reality existing. It was hard for me to remember the fear I had felt upon going into the Nightmare for the first time.

“You’re not Rin.” Alex said slowly. “I saw her die.”

“You saw the version of me in your reality die.” I replied. “After my death there I was brought back to this reality. I have gone over the security footage and know you haven’t said the name of the child. Her name is Hisara.”
Alex and Alice looked at each other. In a few glances I could see they were starting to accept what I had said. They were also unsure of me. I could understand that as I had lied to both of them. I had deceived them both about who I really was. Worry crept into my mind of what if this deception is what made this version of Alice go against me. Not only would Alice be against me but Alex and my daughter wouldn’t like me.

“Why didn’t you tell me, Rin?” Alex asked. “And will I be meeting myself anytime soon?”

“I guess I didn’t tell you because I was running from my own problems.” I replied. “Before I went to your reality this reality’s Alex was killed. You were a version of him and I didn’t want to break that illusion. There was also the fact that you weren’t trustworthy yet. This reality’s Alex took some time to become a decent man.”

I had had to stop myself from saying ‘My Alex’ as I didn’t want to offend this Alex. This Alex who was just as real and meaningful as my own. I couldn’t say ‘My Alex’ without him thinking he was the lesser one. There were no lesser forms of any of my husbands. Everyone was equal in my mind. Being a clone or alternate version of one of my husbands didn’t make one less worthy to me.

“How was he killed?” Alex asked and I hesitated.

Alex handed me Hisara and Alice put a hand on his arm. She squeezed it and looked at me. To extend the silence I focused on my daughter. She appeared to be a little over a year old. Her eyes more than happy to see me and her small hands strong as she held onto my shoulder. After a few minutes she calmed down enough to fall asleep.

“You have to first understand that this reality is different than yours in some major aspects.” I said. “The first is that Alice, this reality’s version, is not a clone. She was just a woman at the wrong place at the wrong time. She and I eventually met. For a short time we were friends but that changed very suddenly. As I was forming the Mormonts I hid my true identity so Alex’s name would not hinder my chances of recruiting. Plus the fact I was supposed to be dead. So when I revealed my identity and true allegiance by rescuing Alex from execution, we started a feud. A feud that has not ended.”

Alice looked at me. I met her eyes as not to shy away from her judgment. She had all the right in the world to react calmly or angrily. To try and attack me. By my statement she should gue-no, she didn’t know about the clones yet. I had to tell her as she had a right to know.

“Alice’s forces are made up mainly of her clones.” I continued. “Unlike in your reality her clones didn’t die. They live and a good majority, minus four, have been loyal to her. Alice’s forces also contain some non-clones that have decided to join her.”

“How did I die?” Alex asked his voice strained.

“I was pregnant with triplets and wanted to be part of a mission to give out vaccines. Against the better advice of many people, I went to give birth on a small base close by where the mission was to take place. Two of Alice’s people pretended to be doctors and...they...I...the third I...I'm sorry. The memory is too painful. I swear to tell you later. This reality’s Alex was able to revert from his Tyrant form back to himself, but his Tyrant form was always there to be used. Alex turned back into a Tyrant and helped but ultimately his identity was lost. I had to kill him. After that I was captured and eventually escaped. It was during my capture that I went to your reality.”

Alex sat back in his seat exhausted by the news. He and Alice both had to take in the news that they were in a new reality, that Alex’s version in this reality was dead, that Alice’s version was an enemy, and that I had lied about who I was. They would have to take this all in enough so that I could win the war. So that I could abandon them yet again. I didn’t want to and yet that was my fate. A fate I had chosen a long time ago. Duty and honor before my own wants.

“So you are from here?” Alex asked as if hoping for some form of normality.

“No, I am not.” I told him. “I am from a less technologically advanced place. On a different planet where seasons can last for years. When I have won the war against Alice, Umbrella, and the undead I will have to return there. Me being in two places at once allowed has allowed multiple tears, like the one you went through. I am sorry if this comes out as blunt but are you in love with Alice?”
Alex took Alice’s hands in his and nodded. Good, he wasn’t wallowing in grief alone. He had a daughter and someone to warm his bed. At least I hadn’t left him alone just as I wouldn’t be leaving Sam with nothing. He would have Eve and Eyrie to keep him company.

“If you will not be causing any trouble, you will be able to wander around the city.” I said. “Winterfell is the center of the Mormonts and the first city of this new world. I’ll make sure to find you a good room to stay in.”

“I want to stay with you.” Alex said with a look of encouragement from Alice. “I cried so hard about you when you died. If you’ll have to leave again I want to spend time with you first.”

“I’ll find a room close by for Alice so when you want to spend time with her you can. I must warn you that I did not stay with only one man. There was a clone of Alex I ran into and we formed a relationship. He took on the name of Samuel and his friends call him Sam. He’s also right outside the door.”

Alex remained calm but I could see a hint of fear on his face. He, like my Alex, did not like clones. Especially not clones of himself. I waited until he seemed ready to face himself before knocking on the door. A moment later the door was opened and the guard watched as we all came out. The Rasiki all had their faces covered with their helmets.

I handed Hisara back to my love so that he would have something to hold onto as he looked at Sam. The two didn’t say anything with their mouths but their eyes said everything. They looked like two hungry direwolves about to fight over some prey. A doe or a bear cub, maybe. In any case their eyes were locked in a deadly combat.

“You are Sam.” Alex finally said, breaking the silence.

“I am.” Sam replied.

“How did you meet Rin?”

“She was on a mission and she saved me.”

The two nodded to each other. Peace had been made at least for the moment. Alice breathed a sigh of relief. I could imagine the hells she had put up with for him. I had put up with his darker side for a long time. I had even been consumed at it to the point I saw Alex as only a perfect being and not a demon. Maybe Alice had been able to love him while not losing herself like I had.

I nodded at Chris and he took off his helmet. Alice and him shared a look of pure joy. There was a little confusion in her eyes but she seemed calm upon Chris’ reveal. He might not be the Chris she knew but at least he was a familiar face. A familiar friendly face. A face that had never hid something from her to the extent I had.

“So you’re part of her organization?” Alice asked Chris.

“I’m a Rasiki, the special forces of the Mormonts.” Chris said. “We’re trained specially by Rin to help combat Alice clones. I don’t think she showed you how deadly of a fighter she is when she visited your reality.”

“No she didn’t.”
* * *
I took a shower to help calm my mind. Alice, Alex, and Hisara had all blended in nicely with the other Mormonts. Hisara had loved finding out she had siblings. She, Eve, and Eyrie all got along well together. Sam and Alex on the other hand…they had a little ways to go but at least they weren’t fighting with each other.

Showers would be one of the things, besides those I loved, that I would miss. The way the water came out and you could adjust the flow. How easy it was to control the heat and cold. Showers were an amazing feat that I would bring to Westeros. I wasn’t certain if I could bring any of my husbands or children to Westeros, but I did know I could bring this technology.

I turned my head as I heard someone open the door. He didn’t have the smell of a clone and he didn’t have the Mark. I opened the shower curtain slowly and saw Alex walking towards the shower. I didn’t know if he had known I was here or if he had just randomly returned to the room. What I did know was what would happen now.

“Alex,” I said. “Do you need help?”

“No.” He said and stopped a few inches in front of me. “I was just going to rest before going back out.”
Suddenly his mouth was on mine. During the next few minutes we focused on nothing else but each other. Only we existed.

After we finished he leaned against me, putting his hands on the wall to help him stay upright. We smiled at each other as this might be the last time we would ****. I could sense the end coming. An end to this war. An end to my time with him. It was sad and yet it brought with it a sense of peace. Maybe the gods would allow me to finally lead a simple life. Maybe. Maybe…
* * *
“So we’re not negotiating with me…I mean her?” Alice asked.

All of the Kaari was in the Council room. Alex and Alice stood as none of us wanted my husband’s seat to be taken again. After all this I would send Alice, Alex, and Hisara back to their own reality. They were rebuilding their world and I would not hinder those efforts. Myself, Khaleesi, K-Mart, and Sam were in our seats. The room seemed more dreary than was normal. As if a cloud had settled over us and would let out a storm at the worst of times.

“We have tried to negotiate with her.” I pointed out. “We’ve given Alice all the opportunities she needed to join. Yet she didn’t.”

“Why don’t you let me try and convince her?” Alice asked. “I am her. I can explain.”

“We’re not going to let you risk your life like that.” Khaleesi stated. “Trust me, it is not easy for me to kill people that look like me. That have my DNA. Who were born to be used by someone else. I know it will kill you inside to fight but you have to do what is right.”

Hail wouldn’t be joining the final battle with Khaleesi. She would take care of her son. I couldn’t recall the name even though it seemed to be on the tip of my tongue. Everything was so chaotic right now that I could only focus on the moment. If I didn’t do that then I would be lost. The last bits of my sanity would go away. And at the end of the war I needed to be fully present.

“I understand.” Alice said angrily. “But can we at least capture her and convince her?”

“She has ordered the deaths of children.” K-Mart replied. “How could we trust her now? And if we’re wrong about her then we will destroy everything we worked so hard to achieve.”

While Khaleesi and K-Mart might not have liked our Alex, what our Alice had done to him had crossed a line. Had crossed a line where there was no forgiveness. Not anymore. She had clearly shown she was not on my side and so she was the enemy.

“What I do not like is that we’re using her to kill for us.” Alice said. “We’re going to have her die for a cause she doesn’t believe in. Her men will die thinking they’re helping their side when they’re helping us.”

“Fighting two enemies at once is never something the Mormonts could risk.” I explained. “Now we could but to risk everything at such a critical moment would be more than stupid. We were able to move from Eden Base to Winterfell because both sides fought each other. It created an effective diversion so we could move on while having both sides think they had made a major blow against us. It might not be the most moral of options but it has worked in the past and it will work now.”

I found no problem with using a resource so that I could quickly end this war. I no longer had my Alice spies to influence her, but there were other ways. For the next few weeks small attacks would happen to lead Alice to where Wesker hid. They would then attack each other and I would wait until the fighting started to wear each side down. Then I would attack them at their weakest to grant the Mormonts a quick victory. I was sure that there would be losses, but not too many.

Alex looked at Alice as if reassuring her. This Alex looked at this Alice with the kindness mine had only shown me. The look that even though he loathed the rest of the world, he would do anything for one person. Well one person and his kids. Mine had become a good father and a decent person. He had learned to be a human instead of a monster. Even at the end he had been braver than many men I had seen.

“I’ll fight.” Alice finally said. “I’ll join Rin, Khaleesi, and Sam.”
K-Mart was staying so if all of us died then at least one of the Kaari would remain alive. Alex was staying as he was no real fighter. Not like my Alex had become and not like Sam. In this final battle no risks should be taken that didn’t need to be. Victory had to be assured.

“We will be glad for your help.” Sam said with a nod. “Rin will be able to sniff you out from the others and the Rasiki’s equipment will be able to detect your unique signature. But you need to be wary of the normal foot soldiers as they might mistake you.”

“Why not allow everyone in the Mormonts know who I am?” Alice complained.

“You will be wearing the Mormonts uniform. But a lapse of judgment could cause one of our own to accidentally shoot you.”

“Lovely.”

“If that declaration of Alice’s is over then this meeting has ended.” I stated.
* * *
“What if she doesn’t come back?” Hail asked as we walked through the park.

Khaleesi was napping with Robert, their child. A baby boy that had a lot of energy and both parents hoped that would change with time. Since Hail could not stay still she had decided to go to the park. She had seemed to be mopping around with no one to voice her concerns to.

“I believe she will come back.” I replied. “She has been with me ever since I escaped Umbrella. She has a strength in her and so I highly doubt she will die. You don’t need to worry, Hail.”

“I know I don’t have anything to worry about.” Hail said. “But I can’t help it. I’ll be here in safety and she’ll be out fighting. What if she leaves me alone with Robert?”

I blinked.

There was no more talking as we approached the two dragons. Lei was able to mount Viserion with little effort and I swear she was trying to show off. I changed into my dragon form and let out a loud roar as Jorah mounted me.


Soon enough we were in the air and snow started to fall. It was easy to imagine that there was no real danger and everything would be fine. It was easy enough to believe that there wasn’t really a war going on. I wished I was weak enough to start believing that dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment