Sunday, December 7, 2014

Terminator: Genisys Official Trailer Review

I knew this trailer was about to come out and I became very worried. I write for a Terminator fansite so I have been keeping up with the news about it. I knew Jai Courtney would have nude scenes and I knew some of the casting choices.

So when I saw this trailer for the first time I was nervous about what it would show.

So what do I think about it?

It opens with the future war and a stirring speech from John Connor. I liked the shots of the future except for the CGI Terminator which just...didn't look right and will hopefully be fixed before the film is released in theaters. The new guy playing John Connor didn't really seem like a good fit for the character. First time I saw this trailer it took a little bit of time for it to sink in that this was John Connor. Also, the scarring on his face doesn't look right.

John Connor talks about how a Terminator was sent back in time as Kyle Reese enters the Time Displacement Equipment (TDE). I am happy that we finally get to see one of the most important scenes in the Terminator mythos. I am a little uncertain about how the TDE is shown in the trailer, but that might be because I keep seeing how it was portrayed in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

As John Connor's message to Kyle about his mother ends, Sarah Connor rescues Kyle from a T-1000. This makes it a little bit funny as Kyle is in confusion. I also love how Sarah says 'Come with me if you want to live' and 'Now, soldier'. The first because it shows Sarah is a badass now and the second because it's a reference to the first film.

Kyle tries to say he was sent back to protect Sarah from the killer T-800. It's shown through dialogue and images that Arnold's Terminator came back in time to protect Sarah and defeated the evil Terminator. When she says that the timeline Kyle is looking for doesn't exist, she may mean that it doesn't exist for them. Because us humans can only view time in a very limited capacity.

It seems that the famous 'we can stop Judgment Day from happening' Terminator plotline is going to happen here.

Arnold says his famous 'I'll be back' line and then the trailer ends shortly after.

This trailer has made me more hopeful about the movie. It seems it might be decent and maybe even good. I don't expect a masterpiece from this but I am expecting a few good performances in it. Especially from Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor. I am worried that it will be in confusion if it's a reboot or a continuation of the Terminator series.

Terminator: Genisys will come out July 1, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment