Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Helix (Season 1)



Show: Helix

Season: 1

Episodes: 13

Created By: Cameron Porsandeh

Released: 2014

Rating: 4/5

Basic Plot: A team of scientists are thrust into a potentially life-or-death situation in this thriller, which begins with the group being deployed to the Arctic to secretly investigate what could be a disease outbreak.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Expanded Well
I was worried when the show premiered that it wouldn't be fit for lasting more than a season. Luckily that wasn't the case. Questions were answered and more questions were put in their place. Thus making me want to find out what everything is about so I will be more than happy to see Season 2! The ending of the finale...I need to know what that means. Why...why...why...

Julia Walker is Important
At the start of this season I thought that Alan Farragut would hold central importance to the series. But Julia Walker ended up taking center stage as the real main character. I say that because of all the connections she has to the series. Julia is an interesting character and I hope to know why she did what she did at the end of the Season Finale.

Love Triangle
Love triangles are overdone in today's media. One reason I love the Divergent Trilogy (by Veronica Roth) is because the main pairing doesn't have a third party trying to butt in! For this series I was really worried that the love triangle would just get on my nerves. However, it didn't. Sometimes it would fade into the background or it would be generally interesting. It's between a man, his ex-wife, and a woman he's crushing on. All in all it wasn't as annoying as I was worried it was going to be.

Final Thoughts
I know with SyFy shows that they don't always have the biggest budgets. I like their original movies since I am a b-movie fan. So I came in with that mindset when I started watching. Luckily enough, the setting of the show makes it so that special effects are used at a bare minimum. This is good since the CG effects are less than spectacular. The Season Finale saw a change of scenery so hopefully next season is set in an area where they can pull off the effects done in this season.

6 comments:

  1. Who knows, our love triangle may become a love quadrangle if Sarah returns with baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Sarah is already part of the triangle and I don't want to imagine sex with a baby O.O

    (love triangle being romantic and not love as in fatherly love)

    But I am VERY interested to see what happened to the baby if it survived OR if it was miscarried due to the explosion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, definitely love in a fatherly way. That kind of quadrangle, not the intimate type. I hadn't thought of a miscarriage. But I'm betting on Sarah returning with child.

      Delete
    2. My mind always goes to the worst possibilities. And it would be funny (not ha ha type) if we just learn of Sarah's baby and then she has a miscarriage.

      And I'm hoping Sarah returns with her baby :)

      Delete
  3. I think the quadrangle is referring to Peter being in the mix - both Peter and Alan seem to still love Jules, Alan has his thing with Sarah, Peter is bitter...not to mention two of those mix now being immortal and one of them being a turncoat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AhXD

    I know Peter is involved and I don't know why I don't count him as being involved in the love triangle. Maybe because I don't know if it seems Jules has feelings for him like she does for Alan.

    *shrugs*

    But I assume Sarah will be returning, so it will be interesting to see how all four interact next season.

    ReplyDelete