Friday, April 4, 2014

The Walking Dead (Season 4)



Show: The Walking Dead

Season: 4

Episodes: 16

Created By: Frank Darabont

Based On The Comics By: Robert Kirkman

Released: 2013-2014

Rating: 5/5

Basic Plot: Police officer Rick Grimes leads a group of survivors in a world overrun by zombies.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really Tough Season
This season brought one moment and one episode that made me feel horror more than I have in any previous season of this show. One character death effected me on the same level as Dale's passing, but was much more powerful. I had to get my inhaler out and it took me awhile to calm down. And in the next episode revrezner, who is good about not giving me spoilers, was worried that I'd have another crying spell when the zombified head is shown. One episode dealt with a rather serious topic, without spoiling anything I'll say mental illness in the zombie apocalypse, and it ended like it should. Not saying it's a really happy ending, but necessary and realistic all the same.

Odd Second Half
Now I think some people might complain about the second half of the season. Why? All the character development instead of plot development. Plus you don't always see every character in every episode. Sometimes Rick is in an episode and sometimes he isn't. I, myself, didn't mind this at all. I liked seeing the characters in this way. I started to ship Beth/Daryl more than I used to. We saw great improvement from Glenn in his story arch. All in all, it was something I didn't mind at all. Just a little odd in the beginning.

Michonne is Humanized
When we first met Michonne at the start of Season 3 (not counting the finale of Season 2 since it was just a brief appearance and you didn't learn anything about her) she is very stoic. Almost mechanical you could say. In this season you see her become part of the group and she even smiles. Let me tell you that one of the creepiest things this season is Michonne smiling. I mean...that's not normal! But you eventually get used to it and it isn't a jarring.

Final Thoughts
This was a good season and I don't get people being negative about it. I can understand the second half being rough on people, but there was so much that was great about it. We get a return of the Governor and see him humanized. We see how Rick is adapting to the world and becoming a farmer. We see what happens when you get too complacent. Plus the episode "The Grove" is, hands down, one of the best episodes of the entire series.

No comments:

Post a Comment