Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)

Title: The Hunger Games

Series: The Hunger Games Trilogy

Author: Suzanne Collins

Released: 2008

Rating: 5/5

Basic Plot: Katniss Everdeen takes her sister's (Prim) place in the Hunger Games and now has to fight for her life.

Big, Bad Government Theme
I admit I have a very low opinion of government. This hasn't been helped by how the US Government is acting now (especially SOPA and Protect IP which effect me). And the big, bad government is a big part of the book. The Capitol (the Government) created The Hunger Games as a big fuck you to the 12 Districts of Panem (the old USA). What's especially great about The Capitol is that you feel its evil even without it being in the scene.

The Bloody Scenario
This book is for Young Adults and yet it has something that belongs in an adult novel. That something is children (12-18 year olds) killing other children because the Capitol finds it amusing. I loved when I was a teen when Young Adult authors would treat me like an adult. If you are a teen, and feel the same way I did when I was young, you'll love this aspect of the book. If you're an adult, this still might disturb you just because children are killing children.

The Bleak Future
This book has one of my favorite scenarios: the bleak future. I don't like happy futures but I like to see how the future can go wrong. This book's depiction of the future is so down and it gets worse as things go on.

Final Thoughts
This book made me want to read the other two books in the trilogy. I can't tell you how painful it is to wait to finish the trilogy. One mystery I want to find out is who the mutated wolves are. For a young teen this might be gritty. For an adult, it won't be as bad for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment