Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Green: Illegal 3

I ate the pancakes that Plague had prepared that morning for breakfast. The thoughts about Gralg kept on going through my mind and I found that I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was sad that I had lost the Gralg ad to the police. The fact that I had been carrying an ad for the illegal substance probably hadn't earned me any points from them.


I looked at Plague as he ate and wanted to tell him something. As he ate it, it didn't appear like he thought that much about what had happened last night. Of course, he was probably used to such instances. However, I wasn't.


Plague looked up at me and sighed. "Matthias, please tell me you aren't thinking about Gralg."


"Plague, think about it." I said. "Isn't it strange that the substance Thomas ate was green algae? And the fact that Gralg is green and algae put together? The fact that Gralg has side effects so bad that it's been made illegal and what Thomas ate made him go mad?"


"You're just over thinking things. People have complained about me thinking about things too much, but you're going way further than me." Plague took a bite out of one of his pancakes. "I think I know the real reason you want to go looking for Gralg and solve a mystery that isn't really there."


"Why?" I asked.


"You've been inside this house for a long time now. I don't think you were born to stay in one place. A true wanderer." Plague shook his head. "I guess this would relieve some stress and make you see reason. I'll regret this later, but we'll find some Gralg and you'll see that your worries aren't real."


Hours passed before Plague and I spoke again. Not because he thought I was crazy, but because we were both researching in two different directions. When Plague came back he said, "Get in the car. I found a place that might have some Gralg."


I looked outside and noticed that night had come.


I was excited as I got into the car and felt like I was finally on my way to doing something. The ride there was quiet as Plague kept close attention to the road. I had never seen him so concentrated before, but I hadn't known him long, either.


The house we got to was a trailer and in the middle of nowhere. Well, there were houses near, but far enough that a slight disturbance wouldn't be noticed for awhile. Plague and I got out of the car and suddenly there was a shot fired at us.


"Noir, get your slimy ass out of here!" A voice said and another shot was fired. "That goes for your butt buddy too!"


I managed to not get shot, though the bullet had scared my ear as it went by. Looking at Plague I saw him pointing to the trailer. If we left now then we could live without the chance of dying. However, then I probably wouldn't have another chance to get Gralg again. Would I risk the life of my only friend and myself just to get my obsession?


I nodded to Plague and went deep in the shadows as Plague drew the fire of the owner. Each second that I got closer to the trailer I felt horrible for what I was doing to Plague. However, I couldn't go back now.


Plague managed to get the owner away from the trailer and allowed me in. I felt scared as I entered the trailer and raced to find the Gralg. Hours seemed to pass before I found the Gralg. It was labeled in pill bottles under towels in the bathroom.


I took all the pill bottles and raced out of the trailer. In my fear I could only focus on running all the way back to Plague's house. I felt a bullet go through my hair at one point but I don't know if that really even happened.


I fell down on Plague's doorstep and passed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment