Saturday, September 3, 2011

Falling Skies Season 1 (2011)

Warning: I missed one episode and the beginning of one but I have researched what I missed so it doesn't affect this review.

Show: Falling Skies

Season: 1

Episodes: 10

Developed By: Robert Rodat

Released: 2011

Rating: 4/5

Basic Plot: Aliens have taken over Earth and a small group of humans rebel.

The Alien Designs
Some of the alien designs aren't good. Unfortunately the Skitters/Cooties don't look that impressive and they are the main aliens shown in the series. Though they don't look impressive they sort of grew on me as the series progressed. The Mechs look good (they are the robots of the invading aliens). The creatures that "harness" the kids remind me of Yeerks a little. The coolest alien design in the show, so far, is the aliens who control the Skitters. They are large and just very creepy looking and I love it.

The Skitters Aren't The Ones in Control
The revelation that the Skitters aren't the ones in control was amazing to me. Throughout this season it seemed so obvious that the Skitters were the ones taking over. Now a question I would like to see answered is who the Skitters were originally and who the aliens controlling them really are.

The Differing Beliefs of the Humans
The humans aren't all in agreement on what to do. My favorite human group is one that sides with the Skitters and provides fresh children for them. The episodes that involved this plot line were interesting. Another big thing was Tom Mason's (Noah Wyle) and Captain Weaver's (Will Patton) disagreement that nearly leads to a full blown mutiny.

Final Thoughts
I'm a little biased in my review of Falling Skies Season 1 since I just adore alien invasion stories. This series provided a good pick of aliens and the look at how humans react to the alien invasion. Most of the episodes I wasn't on the edge of my seat to see what would happen next, but there were a few episodes where I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment