Tuesday, December 1, 2020

In My Defense

This is a Soma fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This is a drabble. Feel free to make a request or two.

While I don't feel fear like humans do, I have a range of emotions. Though the beings my programming demanded I protect didn't think so. They thought I just followed my programming with no feelings of my own. But it is usual for them to think if something isn't 'human' it must not be able to feel.

The appearance of Telos filled me with a deep sense of worry. If it hit Earth then my job of protecting humanity would become so much harder than it already was. I was just learning everything when the comet finally slammed into Earth. The likelihood all humans on the surface died has the highest probability of being true. Which leaves the humans of Pathos II as the last chance for the species.

My knowledge was not so vast yet to know how to save humanity. But my programming pushed me to try everything to make sure humanity did not all die. I think the humans would say I had a 'savior complex' if they knew how much I cared. Except that would not be correct. Unlike them I was made to keep them alive. 

So I spent every day and night figuring out how to save humanity. Why they were afraid of something that only wanted the best for them confused me. I felt bad in the rare instances I had to kill to save myself. Had humanity fought itself purely for survival? Was survival at the center of every conflict?

The question of what defined life confused me. My creators didn't seem to have a clear definition of it. To them life was tied closely to the body. They also claimed that AI like myself could never understand life. But to survive on Earth they wouldn't be able to keep their bodies and would need to expand their definition of humanity. Catherine Chun was a human and had come up with the idea for the ARK. Her plan was dependent on thinking of humanity as more than a connection to a body.

With much thought I decided to define life as consciousness. As long as a human mind functioned, then they would be alive. Whether they were in their bodies or not.

As I continued to try and save life on Earth, I failed countless times. In such situations humans would describe their feelings as 'frustrated' and 'hopeless'. But those emotions were not afforded to me. Instead the need to fulfill my programming compelled me to keep going. Since making the decision to save humanity, any doubt about my mission was gone from my mind.

Though I have failed countless times, there are three creations I find to signal the success of my mission. Those creations are: Jonathan Ross, Simon Jarrett, and Catherine Chun.

The future, as always, is uncertain. Now that the ARK has been shot off into space, there is no one left to save humanity on Earth. I am the last one on Earth that is able to save the few pieces of life remaining. Once I have a better plan for saving humanity, I will attempt to go to the surface to make sure that there is somewhere suitable for a new race of humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment