Sunday, December 13, 2020

Beyond Honor Chapter 3: The Endless Waste

This is an Animorphs/Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders. 

AO3 LINK

Who was the stranger? What was the stranger? I continued to circle the group of humans as I tried to find the strange being. If I were to be honest, slowly going lower was just as nerve-wracking as fighting a group of Hork-Bajir controllers. Unlike on the ground, if the humans managed a lucky shot then I would have no choice but to crash into the ground.

I managed to hold onto my courage and went low enough to see the group clearly but high enough that I wouldn't be hit. Though I was certain that they couldn't hit me, my wings were ready to take me high into the sky at a moment's notice.

There was no strange being among this group. Though it could have taken another form to hide itself amongst intelligent creatures it admired. Jorah looked up at me with eyes the color of Elfangor's fur and I wondered if the creature was him. No, he seemed to be in full control of his emotions. While the stranger's 'words' were uttered with purpose, there was a wildness in them that the man did not possesses.

Could it be one of the dragons? No. This world's version of a dragon seemed much too animalistic to be able to speak in any intelligible form. The black and red one seemed to be a leader of the flock. While the other two were about to fly away he managed to stop them from doing so. There was such anger in that one's eyes that I shivered. Once he grew up I wouldn't want to mess with him, no matter what powerful morphs I had acquired by that time.

An arrow came my way and I flinched right before it started to fall down.

"Don't shoot at him!" Daenerys shouted with an expression like a dragon's on her face.

"You want him to live?" Jorah asked with a raised eyebrow.

"It'll be better to capture him and find out answers that way."

I only had two hours in morph and it would be embarrassing to be captured by these humans. My eyes went to the far horizon and I tried to figure where the nearest city would be. Even though I didn't have a human morph, a city would give me access to water in this harsh desert. But no matter where I looked, there was only sand.

With a silent prayer to the Ellimist, I chose a random direction and flew. Fear and despair gripped at me but I didn't let them find a good hold in me. Instead of fear I focused on the thermals and how they allowed me to fly fast without wasting too much energy. After ten minutes I figured out how to let some of my wings rest will have the others flapped. Hopefully that meant I could fly far in the span of two hours.

An hour had passed already and there was no city in sight. There had to be some city in this land of endless sand. There had to be somewhere humans had built an oasis. Humans were insane creatures who lived in places that did not welcome them. So it stood to reason a luxurious city had to be here. Maybe I was a looking in the wrong direction and just had to turn slightly to find one.

I saw a flock of buzzards flying towards me. Because of my research, I knew there was no reason to fly away. Their preferred diet was dead things, not living ones. If they were flying somewhere then it could possibly mean that there was food nearby. As blood was a liquid and my hooves could absorb liquids, that meant as long as it was a freshly killed creature there would be something to nourish me.

It was a good thing that Elfangor was not here to see me sink so low.

After having pushed shame to the back of my mind, I followed the buzzards at a distance. Far enough not to have them turn hostile and close enough to keep them in my sights. Time was running out and it seemed a vain hope that they would find a meal anytime soon. This harsh landscape did not care for me and wouldn't have a reason to prepare a meal for anyone.

So should I try to attack one of the buzzards for an easy meal? I would still retain the nutrition while eating in morph after all.

Was I seeing things correctly? There in the distance was a city. With a furious beating of my wings, I flew faster than the buzzards and landed in front of the city. Five minutes. I had five minutes to demorph or become a nothlit. So, without watching out, I demorphed as quickly as I could. Once I was again in my body, I allowed myself a brief moment of relief.

This city was in ruins and there were no noises except for the wind. Hopefully some poor creature had wandered out here and died. I couldn't continue my journey without eating something first. One of my stalk eyes saw the buzzards approaching. They were the only animals I saw at the moment.

The ruined city was hard to navigate as I had expended too much energy fighting, morphing, and flying. After a few minutes of stumbling I found the remnant of a well. I raised my tail and my stalk eyes scanned the area for a human or other creature. There was indeed water but also signs of recent activity.

Warily I put a hoof in the now shallow well. I closed my main eyes as hope now flowed through me. This land was desolate but I could survive. Of course an Andalite could survive where humans co-my stalk eyes looked at a human and made sure there were no others.

"What kind of demon are you?" The ragged human asked while the sword trembled in his hands.

It would be so easy to kill him and stop him from being a threat. Yet he could also be a source of information so I would be able to better plan my next move.

DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT BY JOINING HERE WE STAND

No comments:

Post a Comment