Sunday, November 17, 2019

Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin (Mini-Review)

Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin is the first book in Salvador Mercer's Discovery Series. In the first installment of the series an alien signal is discovered coming from the Moon. The United States of America, Russia, and China all rush to get to the alien device first.

In both reading and writing, I prefer a character centric story. I adore falling in love and hating characters. This book offered no characters that I actually cared about. The most likable person was Tom and that was merely because a majority of his lines were amusing to read. If there was one person who got me through this book, it was Tom.

The way the author writes technical information makes it seem like they are attempting to put down the reader. It wasn't until half-way through the book that I started to groan whenever this happened. I adore Micheal Crichton who has footnotes and appendixes for some of his books. So the reason I don't like the technical aspects of this book isn't because I'm dumb or I just don't like this kind of book.

The book is mostly boring until near the very end. I was actually on the edge of my seat during the final pages of this book. It is sad it took that long for the book to make an actual impact on me.

One last thing: the President's name is Powers. I could not take her character seriously because of that. If the author had chosen a different name for her, I might've been able to connect with her character. Every time Powers' name came up I kept thinking of Professor Powers from the Animorphs series.

I would recommend this book to those that like a more hard science fiction book and don't like getting attached to characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment