Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Shipping Confessions: Destiel (SPN)

Yes, I am a fan of Supernatural. Though I didn't start watching the series until around its seventh season. Why that long? Well, I didn't watch TV around the time it premiered. Anyways, since I waited so long I had heard about the ship of Destiel (Dean Winchester and Castiel). So I guess you could say I was biased in favor of this ship?

Not really. I'm not a big slash fan (aka two men being in a romantic relationship), so I don't think I was that biased in that way. However, I quickly became a Destiel shipper after viewing episodes where Dean and Castiel appeared.

Unlike my love of the Camerah ship, being a Destiel shipper is very much the norm. In fact, there seems to be so much support in favor of this ship that it might just as well be canon. Not because everyone agrees with it, but because there are so many people pushing for this ship.

Misha Collins (the actor who plays Castiel) has pronounced Destiel canon. Well, he says that he plays Castiel like his character has romantic feelings for Dean. To us Destiel shippers that makes it canon, but it is not yet official.

One may point out that Dean Winchester is clearly heterosexual (due to how many women he hits on and sleeps with) and so can't be gay. So, therefore, being in a sexual relationship with Castiel (a MALE) is impossible.

I don't think Dean is gay. He does sleep with a lot of women and even had a long term relationship with Lisa Braeden. So, of course, he isn't gay. However, I believe him to be bisexual with a strong preference towards women. This would explain why we haven't seen Dean in a sexual relationship with a man (though there could be those that aren't shown).

Dean has shown slight signs that he's attracted to men (take the Season 8 Episode "Everybody Hates Hitler"). So a relationship between him and Castiel would work. If only looking at Dean's sexuality.

But what about Castiel?

As I said previously: Misha Collins, the actor who plays Castiel, says he plays the character as if he was sexually attracted to Dean. And an actor's views on the character he/she plays is very important.

If you want to disregard Collins' opinion, though, there are many instances throughout the series that show that Castiel loves Dean. If we want to look at a big one, Castiel risks everything for Dean. Castiel leaves his fellow angels to help Dean and Sam to stop the end of the world. After that Castiel even damns himself in the mistaken belief that he's helping Dean.

Castiel hasn't shown a clear sexuality in the series. It's more like he's a child and is slowly learning about how to be human. But it can be safely assumed that he's at least bisexual since he loves Dean.

While I am a big Destiel shipper, there's something that confuses the hell out of me. It seems like a good majority of Destiel shippers (not including me) hate the character of Sam Winchester (Dean's younger brother). I was not aware of this when I became a Destiel shipper, but I have since become familiar about this fact.

I think the reason a lot of Destiel shippers don't like Sam is because he keeps the lovers apart. Which I think is really stupid. The main theme of the show is family (which is why I have a little hate for a good majority of Season 8, the current season upon writing this) and so Sam has to be there. If not, there wouldn't be a show.

Having a brother does not keep one from having a lover. I am engaged and it doesn't affect my relationship with my family. My fiance doesn't keep me away from my family and so Sam doesn't drive Destiel from happening.

Myself, I like Sam. He's really the 'good' one (ironic, then, that he was Lucifer's vessel) and keeps Dean in check. The only time I didn't like Sam was in a good majority of Season 8 (but that was due to him being written out of character), though I hated not liking him because he's a great character.

Anyways, if you are a Destiel shipper don't hate on all those who aren't keen on seeing Dean and Castiel together. They aren't attacking you and you should respect their opinions. Hell, I'm a friend with someone who isn't a Destiel shipper and finds Castiel to have too much screen time. And, guess what, we don't attack each other for having our own opinions.

So what's up for the next Shipping Confessions? Well, we're going back to Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles to look at my OTP (One True Pairing) of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment