Friday, February 1, 2013

Dark Shadows (2012)

Title: Dark Shadows

Based On the Soap Opera: Dark Shadows (1966-1971)

Director: Tim Burton

Starring: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Eva Green

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 3/5

Oscars: N/A

Plot: An imprisoned vampire, Barnabas Collins, is set free and returns to his ancestral home, where his dysfunctional descendants are in need of his protection.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Werewolf Reveal
This is the thing that pulled me out of the movie the most. Looking on imdb, it seems that there was some foreshadowing but when I watched it I didn't get it at all. Everything imdb mentioned either didn't concern the character directly or wasn't supported by enough evidence. So when the reveal happens I was just wondering what was going on. The character's dialogue, when the reveal happens, seems to be telling the audience to just shut up and accept it. Then, to add insult to injury, there is some backstory of how this character became a werewolf. Why do I say it adds insult to injury? This backstory was never even hinted at earlier. I checked and I can confirm the character in the original show was a werewolf. But it makes no sense for her to be one in this movie.

Angelique Bouchard
This character was one of the highlights of the movie. Like a good villain, her motives were very simple. They were one of a wronged lover whose sense of revenge was grand and extended far beyond her main target. Truth to be told, though, she was really a lover of Barnabas Collins whom was never intended for the long term. Barnabas never pretended Angelique was anything other than a booty call. It was only her that could never get over that fact. I like that backstory.

The 'Sex Fight Scene'
This scene is mentioned on imdb as the 'sex fight scene' which is really a misnomer. There is no sex in it. Not realistically since their pants and undies stay on the whole time. There's not even a little shot of their undergarments being thrown off. The fighting part of this scene I'll agree on. But just a little. As the whole scene should be labeled as 'rolling around everywhere and breaking stuff scene'. I spent the entire scene trying to understand what I was watching.

Final Thoughts
This movie was one I had hesitation watching but I gave it a chance. There were scenes that I thought were very well put together, but overall the movie was meh. I liked the dark tones of some of the scenes but other parts were just stupid. Such as when Barnabas looks at a McDonald's Arch and says, "Mephistopheles." I think even my blu-ray player found this stupid as it froze on that part for a few seconds. I have never seen the original series so I did not compare this movie to the series because of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment