Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Tourist (2010)

Title: The Tourist

Director: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

Starring: Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, and Paul Bettany

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2010

Rating: 2.5/5

Oscars: 0

Basic Plot: Frank Tupelo visits Italy and meets Elise who puts him into a situation that endangers his life.

The Twist Ending
I have already covered this in a video, but I will repeat some of what I said here: it makes no sense. This is really the downfall of the entire movie. This is the point that nearly ruined the entire movie for me. It turns out that Frank is really Alexander. It's a good twist in that it's shocking, but it hardly has any evidence to back it up. I guessed that Frank was Alexander about half-way through, but that was merely because I was thinking of shocking twists that the movie might pull.

The Visuals are Good
Venice, Italy is beautiful and the way that the movie is shot enhances that movie. If you want a movie that is nice to look at, this is a good movie to watch because of that. There was not one scene that didn't look good (either because of the setting or the actors). This is the saving grace of the movie.

Action is Decent
While there is a good amount of action in this movie, I didn't feel that impressed with it. I wasn't on the edge of my seat waiting impatiently to see what happened next. The only action scene I was really into was the one at the end where Frank/Alexander is walking to the vault.

Final Thoughts
This, to me, is a very artistic film. More effort seemed to be put into the visuals than the action. What is bad about that is that this movie is dependent on action. Since it doesn't fair too well in the action department the movie fails a little bit because of that. I don't recommend this movie unless you want to fool your friends into believing you have some sense of taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment