Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Terminator Genisys (2015)


Title: Terminator Genisys

Series: Terminator

Director: Alan Taylor

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, and Emilia Clarke

Released: 2015

Personal Rating: 3.5/6

Oscars: N/A

Plot: When John Connor, leader of the human resistance, sends Sgt. Kyle Reese back to 1984 to protect Sarah Connor and safeguard the future, an unexpected turn of events creates a fractured timeline.
--------------------------------------------------------

The Trailer Gave Too Much Away
The point of any trailer is to get people into theater seats to watch a movie. A trailer should give the basic outline of a movie while still leaving a good majority unsaid. People will want to know what happens, what is going on, and so go to see it. A trailer should not give away important plot points that are supposed to be major plot twists in the movie. If you haven't seen this movie and haven't seen any trailers for this move, watch the movie before seeing any of the trailers.

Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor
Clarke was the only casting choice I was the most excited and confident about. She did not disappoint me at all. Her Sarah was different from past incarnations due to her being raised by a Terminator. She is hard on the outside and desperately wishes that she didn't have a destiny. Her relationship with Kyle Reese (played by Jai Courtney) is much more natural than in the original Terminator.

The Title
Terminator GENISYS used to annoy me. Originally it was Terminator GENESIS. But then I read something and now the title makes more sense. The 'sys' part of Genisys stands for system. So the title incorporates both the beginning of a new timeline as well as the antagonist (Genisys is the new application that is to be released) of the film.

Final Thoughts
While I loathed the film before I saw it, I've lightened up about it. It is by no means a perfect film, but some things can be answered in the two planned sequels. Such as who sent Arnold back in time. I would've preferred this movie being set in the future war, but I am okay with what I got. Remember to stay after the credits as there's a post-credits scene.

If you have been a fan of this blog for a little bit and want to donate, there are ways. I do writing commissions on Fiverr. So if you have a fanfic you are thinking about but just can't write, I'm here for you. I also have a Patreon and the rewards so far are an exclusive 30 minute vlog every month and monthly insider info about my upcoming e-books. The reward for my milestone is me talking about how I relate to the Animorphs character Tobias.

No comments:

Post a Comment