Monday, June 10, 2013

Revolution (Season 1)


Show: Revolution

Season: 1

Episodes: 20

Created By: Eric Kripke

Released: 2012-2013

Rating: 4.5/5

Basic Plot: A group of revolutionaries confronts an authoritarian regime 15 years after an instantaneous global shutdown of all electrical devices known as the Blackout.
-------------------------------------

Season Started Out Slow
Now I started watching this show because JJ Abrams is involved (Fringe, Star Trek reboot) plus Eric Kripke (Supernatural) is credited as the show's creator. Add to that is the fact that the show is post-apocalyptic which is a favorite sub-genre of mine. However, the season started off slow. Luckily Billy Burke (playing the role of the wise-cracking and dark Miles Matheson) and the concepts of the show were able to hold me on until things really picked up. At first Charlie Matheson was very childish, but she grew up very quickly in the show. Plus the twists and turns just got wilder and wilder.

Miles Matheson
Miles is my favorite character in the show. He makes the show (even though I think the audience is supposed to identify more with Charlie) for me. Miles usually has some of the best one-liners in any given episode. When you first meet Miles he seems to just be a bartender. Later on his backstory gets expanded as well as finding out he has been involved with both Monroe and Rachel in the past. There is a group of people (including me) that believe he is actually Charlie's real father. Near the end of the Season there seemed to be big indications that the theory is true (including Nora telling Miles that Rachel needed him). I can't wait until Season 2 to find more out about this character.

Stephen King and Star Wars References
There seemed to be a fun game that was made for nerds in this show. It was picking up Star Wars and Stephen King references throughout the season. I call Aaron Pittman Chewie because he reminds me of the character, plus Aaron is very close to my real name. So talking about Aaron is much easier when I refer to him as Chewie. The Stephen King references abound from the obvious (the tower/The Dark Tower and Children of the Corn) to Miles and Charlie using aliases of King characters. My personal favorite King reference (not confirmed but just too good to be coincidence) is: Randall Flyn. For my non-King readers, Randall Flagg is in various works of Stephen King. Nine out of ten times he uses the initials RF.

Final Thoughts
I have ended up liking this series more than I thought I would. It's not the best show ever, but it picked up serious steam to make it much better than it was in the beginning. Rachel Matheson is a very complicated character and she does anything to get what she wants. She's not evil, but you should always be careful when dealing with her. How Rachel acted in the final moments of the finale broke the idea that she is all knowing. I really want to see how Chewie acts in the next Season as he played an integral part in making the Finale possible. And one last word: nanites.


No comments:

Post a Comment