Friday, June 28, 2013

Hannibal (Season 1)


Show: Hannibal

Season: 1

Episodes: 13

Created By: Bryan Fuller

Released: 2013

Rating: 6/5

Basic Plot: Explores the early relationship between the renowned psychiatrist and his patient, a young FBI criminal profiler, who is haunted by his ability to empathize with serial killers.
--------------------------------------------

Horror At Its Finest
One of the reasons I adore this show is that this is true horror. Horror is not shock gore where the whole 'horror' is that you see something very gory is on screen. Nor is it jump scares. Horror, true horror, is dependent on atmosphere and good characters. There needs to be a disturbing setting (haunted house, murder crime scenes, ect.) and you need to care for the characters. If you don't care for the characters you won't be scared by what happens to them. You'll be indifferent to their plights. Hannibal, luckily enough, has a great atmosphere in each and every episode. There is also a great character to root for in Will Graham (played by Hugh Dancy) and a great villain, for lack of a better term, in Hannibal Lecter (played by Mads Mikkelsen). There are gory scenes and cannibalism, but they are supported by the atmosphere and characters.

Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal
I know some of my readers may be big fans of The Silence of the Lambs (also the other movies and books in the series) and so are unsure if Mads disgraces Anthony Hopkin's performance as the famous doctor or if Mads does an outstanding job. I am glad to announce it is the latter. Mads is playing Hannibal before the character is imprisoned. This means that Hannibal's aura is distinctly different on principal alone. Mads still gives Hannibal an ease with manipulation and only looking at a desired effect rather than how the plan will effect people. That part is heightened as now Hannibal is working in his element and controls things to a surprising degree. While Will Graham is the main character, Hannibal Lecter is the master that controls the strings of everything that happens in this series.

The Alternate Universe Aspects
This show is a little bit prequel to Red Dragon and a little bit Alternate Universe to the Hannibal series that came before. Some things that were changed were some characters' genders. Freddy Lounds becomes Freddie Lounds who blogs about crimes and has the best hair ever. I hate Freddie, but her hair is one of the most beautiful things on screen. Alan Bloom becomes Alana Bloom who is one of the smartest characters and a love interest for Will Graham. Finally, Jack Crawford is now black and, by the end of the Finale, I now hate him more than Freddie, but I began with liking his character. Hopefully in Season 2 I will like Jack again.

Final Thoughts
I have not seen a show as good as this since Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I have become fully obsessed with this show. Hannibal makes me cry and the Fannibals (fans of Hannibal) make me laugh. I am even writing a a Hannibal fanfic that is much different than what I have written in the past. When a show can make me write something out of my comfort zone it says something. I would only say to stay away if you are easily disturbed by graphic images as this show pushes the boundaries of what can happen on television.


No comments:

Post a Comment