Thursday, October 1, 2020

Heaven's Embrace (Mini-Review)

Heaven's Embrace is the first book in J.A. Cipriano and Erin Bedford's Her Angels series. In this book we are introduced to Jane who works as a bartender and is involved with three angels. Or at least she wants to be in a sexual relationship with Micheal, Gabriel, and Lucifer. But they haven't yet figured out a way to assume corporeal form so...she tends to be very...erm...frustrated. Jane's problems become worse when her best friend Mandy asks her to help with solving the mystery of a kidnapped young woman.

Some books you read because they are works of art and will leave you thinking about them for months afterwards. Some books let you see the world in a totally different way than before. Other books are trash but so enjoyable. They won't grant you any grand answers to questions about the universe, but they'll allow life to be more cheerful.

Heaven's Embrace is a book of the latter quality. It's trashy but so much fun. Cipriano and Bedford manage to create a universe and characters that are extremely enjoyable. I found myself relating to Jane's way of thinking that you just need to get from one day to the next. Though with my acid reflux I can't relax with a good bottle of sake or a double shot of absinthe. Heck, I can't even enjoy a cup of bad coffee now. It's funny as when I was younger I would have related more to Mandy who is serious and career oriented.

If you are a deeply religious Christian you won't like this book. I don't think you would like seeing Micheal and Gabriel being so interested in having sex. Nor would you like a protagonist who wants to do the nasty with Lucifer.

As I'm spiritual and willing to have fun with my beliefs, I don't mind this aspect of the book. I like how kind Gabriel is while still not being all that innocent. I like how Micheal is in control both out and in the bed. I like how Lucifer just does everything. He helps Jane out while torturing her because...well...he's the Devil.

Each of the angels have their own unique gifts so they become really interesting because of that. Lucifer, of course, can detect if someone is telling a lie. Gabriel can see all time at once. Micheal notices every tiny detail. All of their gifts are needed to help Jane solve the case Mandy has brought her in on. What makes the angels helping with the case even more interesting is that there are hints of how there are weaknesses to each angel's gifts.

The only thing really holding this book back is the fact that it's so poorly edited. There are numerous grammar and punctuation problems. I can overlook a few mistakes as even in Stephen King books there are mistakes that escaped the editor's notice. It appears that both Cipriano and Bedford were so excited to get this book out that they didn't edit it as good as they would've otherwise.

I would recommend Heaven's Embrace by J.A.Cipriano and Erin Bedford to those seeking a good paranormal romance with a pinch of mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment