Sunday, January 27, 2013

American Horror Story (Season 2)

Show: American Horror Story

Nickname/Common Name For Season: American Horror Story: Asylum

Season: 2

Episodes: 13

Created By: Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk

Released: 2012-2013

Rating: 3.5/5
--------------------------------------------------

The Alien Subplot
By the end of this season I had a love/hate relationship for this particular subplot. At the beginning, though, I was firmly against it. American Horror Story should be about the supernatural horrors. Mind you, at the start of the season, I was still getting used to the fact that Season 1 has a completely different story and set of rules from Season 2. By the end I didn't hate the alien subplot, but I did find it unneeded. As someone pointed out: one of its purposes seemed to be bringing back dead characters. At the end of the season we aren't any closer to knowing who they are or what they want. Yes, the alien children are 'special' and do good things. But it still doesn't show the aliens' end game.

Lana Winters Goes Through Extreme Character Changes
Let me start off by saying I'm not against character development. It's good to see characters going through changes and being different at the end than they were at the beginning. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean all changes done to a character will be a good thing. Especially when there seems to be no reason to do so and the changes make no sense. I am referring to the change Lana goes through after she leaves Briarcliff. Sorry for the slight spoiler.

The Last Three Episodes
This season had its up and downs. But it did have a nice conclusion to all of it major plot lines and then there were two more episodes. To me the conflicts in the last two episodes were there to fill out two more episodes. Mind you I liked the outcome of what happened to the Son of Bloodyface, but some of the characters seemed to act out of character for the sake of conflict.

Final Thoughts
I think this season was much better put together than the first one. I especially like the fact that the finale actually felt like a finale. Not like that there were going to be more episodes. The highlight during this season was Lily Rabe's character of the possessed Sister Mary Eunice. I also like that a character I liked at the end I didn't see any way of liking during the beginning. The second season continued in the tradition of messed up stuff happening. So it is with that I warn those easily offended to not watch this. Oh, yeah, and I liked "The Name Game" music number which I can't see how people can't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment