Sunday, August 21, 2022

Chronicles of a Broken World Part 1 : Land of Lies (Mini-Review)

Paid Promotion
Land of Lies is the first book in Daniel Cunningham's Chronicles of a Broken World series. The continent of Graux is on the edge of a conflict more deadly than many could imagine. In the midst of an oncoming war Erin's path crosses with Balthasar's. The pair find themselves connecting on a level neither expected. But the pair can't spare much in the way of romance as they're some of the most important figures in the upcoming war. A war that will prove how rare the truth is in Graux.

Indie books aren't always as polished as traditionally published books. So why read them? Because the stories can make any other flaws not matter. Land of Lies has flaws, but the depth of the worldbuilding made it impossible for me to hate the book. It's clear that Cunningham spent a lot of time creating the different facets of Graux. As the book reveals there's actually a secret history to the continent, he had to create two different histories.

Erin and Balthasar's relationship was extremely sweet. Erin is a half-kyn and feels disgust about her kyn side. She also has spent most of her life hidden away from society. Being a half-kyn means death if anyone finds out. So Balthasar is one of the first people she forms a connection with. Balthasar has his own shame. Sometimes he goes into a rage so deep he loses control and will kill those closet to him. It's their shames that bring the pair closer together. Each can relate to what the other is feeling. I do hope that at the end of everything they can have a peaceful ending. They deserve it.

Elia, the new ruler of Dwyer, was a little grating and I can understand that was the point. The role of ruler is suddenly thrust upon her when her father dies. Though it isn't revealed in this book, it just felt like an assassination and I tensed whenever she drank anything. So she isn't certain in her abilities as a leader and doesn't always make the most sound decisions. Of course she depends more on other people to make decisions for her. It isn't until near the very end of the book that she shows competency as a leader. The only time I couldn't forgive her was when she decided to return escaped slaves to bondage just because she was too stressed out.

So this is more of a me thing that I know not many will relate to. While reading the book I watched a YouTube video about the Capcom game Haunting Ground. The name of the ultimate big bad is the same name as something in that game. I couldn't help but think back to the game afterwards.

Amelia is one of my favorite parts of Land of Lies. She is evil incarnate and has the title Mistress of Blood. Every time she's on the page there is no doubt to her cruelty. She can't be reasoned with. She doesn't have any empathy in her body. All she has is her rage and that's quite fine with her. The only problem I have with her is that she's yet another stereotypically sex-crazed bisexual. I'm bisexual myself and wish there were more monogamous bisexuals in media. Myself I put sex as one of the least important things to me.

I would recommend Land of Lies by Daniel Cunningham to those that like fantasy. I would also recommend Land of Lies by Daniel Cunningham to those that like twists and turns in their books.

No comments:

Post a Comment