Monday, February 26, 2018

Crossing the Divide 88

This is a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil crossover fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders. For Resident Evil I'm referring to the movieverse.

This chapter has been edited due to content. I made small edits throughout the chapter. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

I had heard what had happened with the war against the dead, or the War for the Dawn as others called it, and yet it wasn’t until I saw the destruction with my own eyes that I could comprehend what had gone on. Down below small villages had been destroyed with no one living in them anymore. Castles like the Eyrie were the only places of safety. I should’ve been here to help fight and maybe the war would’ve already been over.

As we got closer to the Night’s King the air became even colder. The cold was much more potent than it had been beyond the Wall. It must be that the victories had allowed the nightmarish being to gather more magic. More magic radiated off of him in a cold where not even wildfire could warm a person. Along with the cold I could sense Jon and Arya Stark.

I roared at Jeor and the dragon came close to me. He was a dragon that also seemed wrong with his pure black skin and blood red eyes. He had been created and not born like my own dragon had. Like Viserion had been. Jorah prepared to jump off of me, his body seemed confident as if he were merely walking down steps. Once Jeor was close enough my love jumped on.

I started to dive down so I would arrive just a little beyond where I felt the coldness. Jeor and Viserion didn’t dive down with me. A few wights and White Walkers were there to greet me when I landed. One of the White Walkers said something and I couldn’t understand him no matter how hard I tried. I looked up and gave Jorah a signal.

“Give up your weapons.” The White Walker said in a voice that sounded like ice breaking.

“You know I need no weapons to kill you.” I replied.

“Then you won’t mind giving yours up.”

I couldn’t argue with that and handed the being Alexander and its sheath. He looked at it and turned it around a few times as if testing it. He gave a nod of approval before leading me inside the camp. I tried not to be open about searching for Jon and Arya. I would rescue them no matter what it took. One of the tent’s flaps blew in the wind and for a brief moment I could see inside.

There Arya pressed closely up to the Hound. Neither of them acting afraid and yet it was clear that they were. She didn’t see me before the inside of the tent was hidden from me yet again. It had surprised me that they weren’t restrained. And yet that did make sense. The Night’s King’s army would be no match for two weaponless humans. They could yell and scream all they wanted but nothing would change. They would either be prisoners or turned to become part of the army.
I continued to follow the White Walker until we reached the center. The sight there horrified me. It was not the sight of the Night’s King who seemed more than calm. Evil and cold radiated from him yet that did not scare me. The sense he could easily kill me did not scare me. What did scare me was Jon bound and gagged in front of the ancient being.

“You are his queen.” The Night’s King said. “I thought you had run away.”

Jon looked up at me seeming to ask for help. The fact that the Night’s King had some of my most valued men captured stopped this from being a meeting. However, I would play along until it was safe to actually attack. It would be foolish to yet I had to rescue my men. Maybe the fight would even end the war now instead of later.

“No,” I replied. “I was away on another errand. Something only I could do.”

“I am glad you are here.” The Night’s King said and then seemed troubled by something in my eyes. “You still think of me as the enemy, don’t you? You still think I am evil for the sake of being evil? You are wrong. But rest assured those who are the ones at fault are dead. Yet I…but that will come later.”

I reached out with my powers and noticed the Night’s King had dampened them. They were no longer as powerful. Yet I could slowly tear at Jon’s restraints. So I did. Once I freed him he could escape or be foolish and try to attack the Night’s King. Or maybe he would die either way. I had thought since the Azor Ahai Prophecy had been fulfilled that Jon still had importance. Except that importance was with another prophecy: The Prince who was Promised.

Maybe I had been wrong.

“Why did you want me here?” I asked bravely.

“Because I want at least one person to know the truth.” The Night’s King explained. “Through the anger that has plagued my mind for countless lifetimes, I am finally able to have some form of sanity. I am finally able to tell at least part of my story.”

Jorah had once told Daenerys that good and evil always existed on both sides. I had foolishly thought that this war, the war against the living and the dead, was different. It seemed so simple and yet the Night’s King might tell me otherwise. Why had he called me here? Could it truly be because he wanted to talk?

“What if I didn’t come here?” I asked. “Jon and Jorah wouldn’t be able to understand you.”

“I will take whatever audience I can get.” The Night’s King said. “I bound this one before I could fully regain my sanity. I did try to tell him my story after I sent the letter, but he couldn’t understand. With your magic you are able to understand me and for that I am glad.”

I wondered if the ancient being knew I was trying to free my husband. There was a chance that he didn’t care at all about my plan. Maybe it amused him. In any case he did nothing to stop me and so I continued. Jeor and Viserion appeared to be restless up above. The Night’s King looked angry at my brother. I could understand why.

“Once I was a human.” The Night’s King said. “I was one of the First Men and wanted nothing in the world but to live. I wanted a wife and many children. There was so much that I had dreamed of and most of my dreams I have forgotten. I have forgotten so much since the Children of the Forest cursed me to be this thing. I can’t feel, not really. All I tend to feel is anger and hate. The two emotions gnaw at me and leave me nothing.”

I would ask why the Children of the Forest would do such a thing but I knew why. The need for revenge went beyond the boundaries of species. I knew that the Children of the Forest and the First Men had far from friendly relationships with each other. It did fit that they would try and get rid of the humans. It also made sense that their weapon would go rogue. Something so powerful could easily learn to do things on its own. Maybe they didn’t realize how powerful their weapon would become. How hard it would be to control.

“My hatred of what had been done to me was my undoing.” The Night’s King said sadly. “The hatred started nobly of wanting vengeance and then allowed the Children of the Forest to make me do their bidding. I started to hate my own kind and want them dead. Soon enough I wanted everything dead. The only good to come out of my anger was my freedom from them. And yet…yet I was never free.”
“So the Children of the Forest decided to try and get rid of you?” I asked him.

“Yes, they called upon those they had once said were enemies. They hid their shame and that made me all the more angry. How dare they take my life from me only to proclaim themselves the innocent ones! They took me away from all I knew so they could have vengeance. They didn’t mourn me as a person just the fact that their plan went awry.”

“And you wanted me to know this? Why?”

I saw the Night’s King struggling. The anger he had mentioned must be gnawing at him yet again. It must be tearing into him. Against all odds he was able to control the anger he had inside. The anger that constantly threatened to tear him apart and leave nothing. I waited for him to continue and was ready if I needed to attack him.

“I want you to know the truth.” The Night’s King explained. “Even if all of Westeros doesn’t know who I am, I want you to know. I want you to know that I never intended any of this to happen and I would stop if I could. I want you to know so that maybe, if the living wins, that my story can go down in history.”

It looked as if the ancient being was going to talk again and then he fell silent. He was losing his own struggle yet again. I thought of having Jorah help me and then decided against it. The first move I made against the Night’s King had to be well thought out. If I made the wrong move then I could doom the living.

“Humans.” The Night’s King sneered and I could tell things had changed. “Rin of House Kaari, tell this pathetic creature that he will die. He will die as his race’s time on this world had ended.”

“Why not turn him?” I asked.

“He has done too much harm to my people to be part of my army.”

Jon had been scared throughout the entire conversation. I could imagine what he had heard and how he wouldn’t know how to interpret what the Night’s King had said. If Jorah hadn’t given me the ability, I would have been unable to know how weak the being was. He was just a victim of fate and now the anger had consumed him yet again. I sat down by Jon and could tell that unless I got my other husband’s help there would be no chance to free the Stark.

“The Night’s King says that you will die.” I told Jon. “He says that humanity’s time on this world has ended.”

“As long as he dies I will be happy.” Jon told me after I removed his gag.

“I will not die.” The Night’s King replied. “There have been many prophecies foretelling my death. They have all been false. There is no god or gods that have sent their protection onto humanity. Even they do not care what happens to you.”

I was a Kaari and I followed my ancestors in not caring about the will of the gods. They might not care about humanity but I did. I cared very much and so I would fight for the living. It did not matter if the gods had sent a hero, what did matter was that we fight. If no prophecies about the Night’s King were true then he could still be killed.

“He says that no prophecies about his death are true.” I told Jon. “He says that the gods don’t care about humanity.”

“I will kill you.” Jon said bravely. “I don’t care about the existence of a prophecy. I don’t care that the gods turn a blind eye towards us. What I do care about is seeing you dead.”

The Night’s King grinned. I was unaware his face could form a grin. It looked about as pleasant as a corpse grinning. Even as the Night’s King took his sword out and put it to Jon’s back, I stood over my husband. When I had talked with him before it had seemed like peace could be made. He was a pitiful thing and deserved mercy. But he couldn’t have that. That was one thing I could not grant him.

“No!” I heard Jorah yell as the Night’s King picked Jon up.

A few wights came and held me back even as I struggled. My powers were still being dampened so I could not use them. All I could do was watch. Jon looked strong and resilient even though he was so close to death. I realized why he was so calm. This was not the first time he had died. In his mind it might be that he would finally be at peace. Finally not have to worry or feel pain ever again.

“Kill the Night’s King!” Jorah yelled, his voice clear to my heightened senses.

I focused on my powers but before I could do anything, Jon was dead. The Night’s King looked at me and shoved his sword into Jon’s back. A cry could not come out of my throat as everything had happened too fast. Forever burned into my mind was the sound of the sword being shoved through my husband’s back. I wanted to run away but I couldn’t. Not out of fear but out of anger and duty.

The cry Jorah made must have been heard by the humans on the ground. Jeor cried out imitating Jorah and Viserion joined in. Soon the air was full of draconic cacophony as Jon fell to the ground. The Night’s King stood back to admire his work as my husband lay dying. My husband whose hands were digging into the snow as if there was even a hint of hope that he could survive.
Jon’s eyes looked at me. They were scared but strong. Then life left him. The only reason I didn’t go over to him now was the Night’s King. He looked at me in a way that was much different from earlier. Now it was as if I was a new kind of prey for him.

“Hand her her weapon.” The Night’s King said. “And release the prisoners. Let her and everyone else see how fighting us is useless. Let the living see what we can do and despair!”

There was cheering since there was now movement in the camp. I could see the two dragons about to attack but I sent a thought to Jorah. I told him there were our men down here and that they needed to wait until I got them to safety. I held onto Alexander and opened my mind to him.

“You have the power now to go after him.” Alexander reassured me. “If you win this fight then you win the war. You are a Kaari, you do not need permission from any deity. You have the strength of your ancestors in you. You are the next step in the Kaari evolution as are your children. This abomination has no power over you. You are its master. Push the pity from your mind until later. For now become the Kaari that your ancestors would hope for. You are Hisenys Kaari, the one that will rebuild our people!”

With Alexander’s words loud in my mind, I was able to clasp onto the last bit of courage I needed. I might die in this fight but I would not go quietly. I would roar like the direwolf and dragon I was. Destiny meant nothing to me, nothing at all. All that mattered was this moment.

My body became quiet and calm as I readied for battle. The tip of Alexander brushed the snow as the fight started. We walked around each other as neither of us wanted to make the first move just yet. We were looking at each other and judging. I could hear Arya, the Hound, and others come close to where the fate of all would be decided. I could feel their eyes on me and knew what they needed. They needed their Queen, their ruler, to give them strength when hope seemed so far away.

“I am your queen.” I told them. “I was born with nothing and into a dead House. I was able to go beyond my humble origins. I was able to first become a servant of Daenerys Targaryen and then kill her when she went mad. I have done things not because they were easy, but because they were the right thing to do. I  plan to serve Westeros for many years to come! Today will not be the end but the beginning! A beginning for a new Westeros and a life free from the fear of the dead! While I fight the Night’s King leave this camp. Fear not for your honor as no one will think you are weak. You are fleeing so that the dragons can lay waste to the dead!”

As my men started to cheer I heard dragon roars in the distance. Not dragons of fire but dragons of ice. I looked at the Night’s King who seemed unfazed. He must have called them here. Some of the Ice dragons must be loyal to him. With my mind I called out for my other dragons and pleaded with them to come at once. I told Franc to stay where he was unless Davos decided it was safe to go. After sending out the message I focused on the Night’s King. If I killed him everything would end. If I killed him maybe the Ice dragons would decide attacking me was not worth it.

Finally the Night’s King made his move. He was much faster than any other enemy I had fought in the past. His blade sounded like a harsh wind blowing in the dead of winter. He was much faster than I expected but the pure instinct part of me responded in time. I turned out of the way holding Alexander out to block the creature’s blow. Before I could fully recover from the first attack three more followed in quick succession. Only after the third was I able to go offensive. He had to back away a few feet to escape the blow I had aimed at his head.

In that brief moment I was able to see the chaos that was going on around the rest of the camp. I hadn’t had time to tell them that things had changed and running was now no sure means of protection. In the lead of the fighting was Arya.

“Get weapons!” She yelled and the others tried to obey. “Get the weapons or we all die here!”

That moment was over quick and it was back to my own fight. I somersaulted over the former human and aimed for his head. He was too clever to die to that maneuver and merely moved out of the way. He aimed for my legs as I made my landing. I swung Alexander and knocked the Night’s King’s sword away just enough so I could land. Then I had to turn and block his next blow or risk being cut in half.

“You are a fighter.” The Night’s King said. “It is a shame you can’t join my army.”

I didn’t reply and instead put an invisible wall between us. He seemed able to see it and paused. He observed it the same way a human looks at a fine work of art. Studying every detail for memory’s sake. He held out a hand and put it mere inches from the invisible wall. The Night’s King stood back and paused for a few more minutes before making his move.

The Night’s King ran at the unseen structure and I was flung into the air. Luckily I was able to land on my feet mere seconds before he got to me. The next few minutes were chaos and the only thing that gave me comfort were the sounds of wings. I glanced up for a moment and saw fire against ice. Jeor, the largest one of my dragons, was nothing compared to the Ice dragons. Any strike against the Ice dragon was nothing but a minor annoyance.

The Night’s King pushed me against the ground and Alexander flew from my hands. My body yelled in pain as my wrist broke. My opponent looked at me and then looked around. The fight against the living and the dead raged around us. He saw nothing but victory as that was the only reason for him to pause.
“This is not what I wanted.” The Night’s King growled as part of his sanity escaped. “This is not me.”

If I had been but a pup I would think this meant that there would be peace. No, there couldn’t be peace even if he regained his sanity. He had killed Jon Stark, one of the kings of the Seven Kingdoms, and therefore he would have to be executed. He would be executed and an entire race would fall victim to genocide. Even my innocent father. Yet I would not shy away from the darker aspects of what had to be done. Even the parts humans would say I needn’t worry about. I would understand my choices in every possible way.

“I know.” I said as I slowly felt my wrist healing. “This is not you and I will end your suffering.”

“You can’t.” The Night’s King gloated. “You will die and then your world will die. There is nothing that can save you. No god that will rescue you.”

“I am a Kaari and we bow before no gods. I need no god to rescue me.”

I blinked.

“She will not leave you alone, Hail.” I reassured the clone. “I will make sure that she returns alive. I will never abandon a friend like her.”

“It’s war.” Hail retorted. “People die that you don’t want to. You do everything in your power to protect and yet…yet it doesn’t mean anything at times. I’ve commanded men on missions where I was certain all would live. But a few of them died.”

We were silent as we passed by some Mormonts who were enjoying the sun with no worry in their eyes. Seasons passed so strangely here and it took a few moments to remember what season it was. It felt like the beginning of this world’s spring. I wondered what spring would feel like in Westeros.

“If she dies, she will die fighting valiantly.” I said.

“I guess that is all I can hope for.” Hail replied. “That or her returning alive and well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment