Monday, February 26, 2018

From Friend to Nephew

The topic of this post was voted on by the members of my Facebook group HERE WE STAND. If you would like to vote on future posts, feel free to join.

This is an Animorphs fanfic. The copyright for that series belongs to the copyright holders and not me.

Over the course of the last few days my mind hadn't been steady at all. It had been swept up in the confusion of finding out that my father was none other than Elfangor. Was swept up in the confusion that the first time I met my father it was right before he had been eaten alive by Visser Three. I had found my father who loved me and my only memories of him were of his death.

The Ellimist had taken a normal life away from me. If not for him I could've had a loving mother and father. I wouldn't have sought to be stuck as a red-tailed hawk in the first place!

It had taken me a few days to think clearly about the truth and now I thought of who I should tell. I would eventually tell all the others but who I told first was important. I thought of telling Rachel but something kept me from going to her. I didn't know why and yet I followed that instinct. After awhile longer I realized that I should tell Ax. He had a right to know about his older brother.

After making that decision I still had to decide how to tell him. I flew over by the mall and rode the thermals there as I thought. I couldn't just say it in a few short sentences. Ax would be more than confused both by the time travel aspect and that Elfangor had fled the war. My friend and uncle more than admired his brother to an insane degree at times. When he had first met the other Animorphs he had been shocked my father had broken Seerow's Kindness.

I decided I could never find the perfect way of telling Ax and so started to look for him.

I found Ax by his scoop. He was reading one of the many books that Cassie had given him. Today he was reading...wow, even the title put me to sleep. It must have been some book Cassie's parents had owned. Maybe it was even one that they wouldn't miss that much.

[Tobias!] Ax said excitedly and looked at me with one of his stalk eyes.

[Hey, Ax-Man.] I replied as I landed on a branch close by. [I have to tell you something.]

[What?] He asked and looked at me with his main eyes.

Now that I was here by him I was more nervous. I was about to tell him that the brother he admired had had a child with a human woman. That I was that child. I didn't know what it would do to our friendship. I didn't know if it would deepen it or become complicated.

[It's about the letter.] I told him.

[Are you sure Visser Three wasn't lying?] He asked me.

[No, I don't think he could lie about this. It explains why they wanted me specifically. And the letter itself...no, it wasn't faked.]
[What did the letter say?]

Now was the time I had to tell him. Now was the time I had to push back all the fear I felt so that he would know. I gave myself a few seconds before I said anything so that I could remain calm. I felt honored to have Elfangor as my father and saddened that the first time I saw him he died.

[The letter was from Elfangor.] I told Ax. [He...he's my father. He came to Earth and married a human woman. The Ellimist erased all traces of him from her mind. The Ellimist...]

I held back my rage and focused, instead, on Ax's expression. I hadn't told him everything in detail, though I would soon. I couldn't tell him everything now as I the words were lost to me. Telling Ax made the truth about Elfangor even more real to me. It was as if saying it made it truer than it already was.

[Elfangor was a hero.] Ax finally said. [I don't always understand him, but I'm learning that his strange decisions aren't always wrong. Did the letter go into detail about why he came to Earth?]

[He was tired of fighting.] I replied.

[War is hard. As I have fought so many battles I can see why he would run. Running away doesn't make him a coward.]

For awhile after that we stood in silence. For awhile we didn't know what to say to each other. When I did finally speak again I repeated everything the letter had said and then we were in silence again. I would've spent more time with my uncle but I was growing hungry and had a need to hunt. I left him in silence as it would take us both some time to get used to Elfangor being my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment