Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki: Love and Leaving 1

The sky was a lovely shade of blue and Yomosa was by my side. The woman that had me change more than my form and love more deeply than I had with Sajoki. Today I was able to walk beside her in my main male human form. While Yomosa accepted me for what I was, I could tell me assuming a human form comforted her.

For many weeks we had been traveling not side by side, but with me in the form of an animal that could be ridden by a human. The form I took differed day by day. Partially to relieve some of my own tensions and partially to amuse Yomosa.

But there was something different and fulfilling about walking side by side with my love. The smells in the air were clearer to me and my hope in the future was a reality.

"How much longer? I'm almost thinking this amuses you, Rig." Yomosa asked with a smile. While she must be more tired than I was, her being a human, she was able to not let her exhaustion show. Her humor was seeming to actually improve through our journey.

"Not much longer." I replied. "Once we reach the harbor things might get rough."

"Your enemies?"

"Or friends of my enemies. Which would be worse."

I put up my hand and Yomosa stopped. Things had gotten very quiet all of a sudden. While nature wasn't always loud, there was always noise. However, when there was danger things could turn silent. Then you'd only have a few seconds to react.

Was a supporter of Hijunaki coming to get me? Had Akumie decided to send something to get me?

Turning to the sound of a slight russel of leaves I saw Jirou. But he didn't look like he once had. Instead there was hunger in his eyes. Not the normal hunger but a deranged kind. My sparring buddy hadn't taken the death of Hijunaki well.

"You can have me, Jirou." I told him. "But let Yomosa leave unharmed. She didn't kill Hijunaki. I did."

A hurt expression took over Jirou's face. He made a show of putting his human, but furry, hand over his heart. "I would never attack you, Rig Katashi, you were a good friend. I didn't understand you the majority of the time, but I still consider you a friend. One of the few that I can call a friend now." He paused. "Even if you did kill our creator I would never think of harming you."

I wanted to let my guard down but didn't. Jirou was part wolf, as his lower half showed, and the hunger in his eyes was a warning that shouldn't be dismissed.

"Then why are you here?" I asked and realized how stupid that must sound. He was hunting, of course.

Jirou pointed a finger to Yomosa. "I would not harm you, Rig, but she is merely a human. I know you must think you've found love but you can find another. You always have in the past." A grin formed on his face as he spoke.

"I won't let you harm her." I said as I moved in front of Yomosa.

The grin on Jirou's face widened. "I know you won't hurt me. It's not in you to harm a friend."

"I killed my maker."

"He wasn't your friend, though."

Yomosa pulled out some wolf meat and stood beside me.

"It's fresh." She said and we both waited to see what my friend would say.
-----------------------------------------
ALL Links for Sushi, Sake, and Tanuki

No comments:

Post a Comment