Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Velvet Diaries

Paid Promotion
Denise’s desire for a better life burned brightly with a fire anyone could see in her eyes. Such ambitions took her to San Francisco, a place crawling with hustlers and blue bloods. She’s given the name Velvet and taken under the wings of Big Rich, the owner of the largest prostitution ring in the city. Unfortunately, he was also a man whose ambition meant that any who dared to defy him was met with death.

Denise runs from him and remains in exile for three years. With the help of a new friend and her childhood friend, she returns to the city with renewed passion and a thirst for revenge.

Talking With Shay J’naye

What was the inspiration for writing Velvet Diaries?

This novel was inspired by true events. I was able to rewrite a story that didn’t end to well for me and my personal life.

What was the writing process like for Velvet Diaries?

The writing process was more spiritual than anything. I started the writing process in 2016. Life unexpectedly took a turn, leaving me to put the book down for a long 7 years. In 2023, I picked the book back up and finished it.

What music did you listen to while writing Velvet Diaries?

R&b has been a major influence in my writing style. Being a songwriter has helped me tremendously while writing this novel.

What was your favorite scene in Velvet Diaries to write?

My favorite scene in the novel is where my main character Denise, aka Velvet, earns everything she worked so hard to achieve.

What were the hardest scenes in Velvet Diaries to write?

The hardest scenes to write were the ones that transpired in my real life. Having to relive those moments and put them on paper wasn’t easy at all. However, it helped me heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment