Monday, December 17, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Title: An Unexpected Journey

Series: The Hobbit

Director: Peter Jackson

Starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, and Richard Armitage

Rated: PG-13

Released: 2012

Personal Rating: 3.5/5

Oscars: N/A

Plot:  A younger and more reluctant Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, sets out on a "unexpected journey" to the Lonely Mountain with a spirited group of Dwarves to reclaim a their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug.
----------------------------------------

Beginning Scene Went On Too Long
I can understand that Peter Jackson wanted to tie The Hobbit Trilogy (starting with An Unexpected Journey) into his Lord of the Rings Trilogy. So when Bilbo started giving some backstory needed for this Trilogy, I didn't mind. It was nice seeing Bilbo, I won't deny that. But then it just on for way too long. I don't care about tying this up to the beginning of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring to the point where Frodo mentions that he's going to surprise Gandalf. I went to see The Hobbit and not Lord of the Rings. This is a scene that needed to be shortened since it really adds nothing to the film as a whole (except the backstory given by Bilbo).

Gollum is Creepier
I can't believe that Gollum got creepier. I really don't know how that's possible since he is always creepy. The only reason I can think of that Gollum is creepier is due to the fact that he is in his element. Besides that, I really have no idea why Gollum creeped me out this time more than in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

The Misty Mountain Song
This was my favorite piece of music in the movie. I admit I'm biased towards music with lyrics. But it is really the vocals that makes this song so good. The atmosphere the song creates is wonderful to behold. The first time you hear it (the second time being during the credits) is when the dwarves are in Bilbo's house. What makes it seem to take on an even sadder tone during this scene is what Bilbo is going through. So hearing the song is both a reminder of what the dwarves have lost and the guilt Bilbo is experiencing.

Final Thoughts
I  went into this expecting a bad film. I have been angry for awhile that The Hobbit is being split up into three films (due to me seeing this as a blatant money grab thing). So with that low expectation, the movie was better than I was expecting. There wasn't a moment that I was bored during the entire movie. For those wondering, I haven't seen it in 48fps and saw it in the usual 24fps.

No comments:

Post a Comment