Saturday, April 30, 2022

Lynesse Chapter 22: Before the End

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

I opened my eyes and in the morning light saw that Daenerys still had her head on my chest. Her hair was disheveled from the lovemaking last night. After I had come back, it was easy to get lost in her. I had realized how important it was that I be by her side and show undying loyalty. Maybe that would be enough to stop her from being the tyrant she was quickly becoming.

"Jorah." Daenerys said sleepily, not bothering opening her eyes.

"Yes, today we start to make our way to King's Landing." I replied as I ran my fingers through her hair.

"And I will burn Cersei alive."

"What about the smallfolk in King's Landing?"

"I don't know. Guess I'll decide when I get there."

It was almost chilling how easily she said those words. It was as if she thought the lives of the smallfolk meant nothing. Or maybe she was just waking up and wasn't thinking clearly. Yes, that was it. She was in a good mood and not saying what she truly thought.

"We should celebrate." Daenerys said and opened her eyes.

"How do you propose we do that, khaleesi?" I asked with a chuckle. "I thought we already celebrated during the night?"

"Then let's celebrate again. Worship your queen, my love."

"Yes, Your Grace."

After we made love I stood up and held out a hand to her. It would take us a little bit to clean up and we would have to leave in only a few hours. The way she looked at me alerted me to the fact that she wanted to **** all day. If only I could grant her that.

As I cleaned up and put on clothes for the day, all my worries flooded back in my mind. They had granted me peace for a moment in time and now were back with a vengeance. They cried out that I could've easily killed her while *******. But after that? How could I convince anyone that her death was accidental? Would they trust me or immediately become suspicious?

"You better do that when I claim my throne." Daenerys said gleefully.

"I'm sure I've done better." I replied with a grin.

"I'm sure you haven't."

"If you are certain."

When I was finished getting dressed I helped her finish. She was very responsive whenever any part of my body touched her. Once we overthrew Cersei then I would sit her down on the Iron Throne and tear her clothes to shreds. If only that time was now.

"What are you thinking, Jorah?" Daenerys teased.

"I'm thinking of how I want to properly celebrate you becoming Queen of the Seven Kingdoms." I replied.

"Will I like it?"

"I think if I told you now you would want me to...practice."

There was a knock on our door before she could reply. Her posture became that of a queen and mine of a king. She looked at me and I nodded at her. Later we could free ourselves of responsibility but for now she was queen.

"You may come in." Daenerys said and a young man opened the door.

"I am sorry to disturb you, Your Grace." The messenger said and barely moved in time to let Ghost in. "But the news I have is of the utmost importance."

"What is so important that you should disturb me this morning?"

"It has to do with Ser Jaime Lannister."

I did my best not to tense up. It would show me as weak to the messenger and might make Daenerys think I was hiding something. I didn't know what his plan was but the last thing I wanted was him dead. Maybe he could take this decision away from me.

"Has he attacked my men?" Daenerys asked. "Why wasn't I informed sooner?"

"He hasn't attacked anyone, not yet." The messenger said. "The knight has headed in the direction of King's Landing."

"Why did you let him go?"

"We thought that he was an ally and was free to leave on a supply ship ahead of your army. But when he left the rest of the army behind...we grew suspicious."

"Make sure that if you see him again that you capture him. I wish to execute him myself."

The messenger gave a low bow and shut the door before he left. Ghost pressed up against me and I wondered what the direwolf was worried about. Did he know what Jaime's plan was? Did he think that Daenerys might try to kill him? My love may try to kill me in the future, but I doubted I had cross the line this morning.

"I should have killed them both when I'd had the chance." Daenerys said angrily. "I should have executed Tyrion when you brought him to me."

"Do you want him executed?" I asked.

"My men are loyal to me so I'll allow him to think he's safe. Do you think he has a way to communicate with his brother?"

"No as there was no message intercepted. Jaime is on his own and Tyrion most likely doesn't know anything more than his brother will be in King's Landing soon."

Why was Jaime going to King's Landing? He had fought in the Battle of Winterfell which made me doubt him turning traitor. No man would go against impossible odds just to turn against the people he had fought beside. No, there must be another reason.

"Ghost knows Jaime turned traitor." Daenerys said and I realized how fiercely the direwolf was pushing against me.

"Direwolves are smart creatures." I agreed. "If only he could tell us."

Why would Jaime go to King's Landing? The only reason I could think of was to save his sister. He must be planning to get his sister and flee to Essos. I smiled at the thought of Cersei being forced away from the Iron Throne. Everything she had fought for was no longer hers. She had done horrible deeds for nothing. Unlike Daenerys, it was not possible for Cersei to garner power across the Narrow Sea. But at least Jaime would be happy for a time. Would Cersei leave him like Lynesse left me?

"Is something about this amusing to you?" Daenerys asked and crossed her arms.

"I'm imagining you killing the last of House Lannister." I lied. "You will make your House proud."

I made a few adjustments to my armor to make it slightly more comfortable to wear. Did Tyrion know what Jaime was doing? Most likely not. Jaime knew that Tyrion being aware of his plan meant the Imp would be in danger. But what if Jaime wanted a final good-bye with his brother and **** the consequences?

It would have been good to discuss with Daenerys so my own mind could be calmed. But I couldn't ask without making her suspicious. She might start to think that I was in on Jaime's scheme. She could even blame me of being a traitor and turn me to ashes.

"I could let you kill Tyrion." Daenerys said. "You are the king and should share in my glory."

"I brought him as a gift to you." I replied with a polite bow. "He is yours to do with as you wish."

She reached up and put a hand on my cheek. I leaned down and we kissed. It was full of love unlike the words that had left her mouth. It was the oasis in the desert that I needed. How different her lips were to Jon's. His lips had been the first drops of rain before a storm.

"I think they are waiting for us." I said and tilted my head to indicate Ghost.

The direwolf's ears were moving as if he could hear something. I waited for Daenerys to react before doing anything. She was a queen, the Mother of Dragons, and a force to be respected. Her anger would become a thing of legends. So it was best to let her move as she wanted without feeling cornered.

"Then we should not keep them waiting." Daenerys said and beneath her voice I felt joy.

I opened the door for her and closed it once we had all left. Even though she was smaller than me, she seemed so much larger. While others had helped her, her strength was the reason she hadn't faltered for long. It took more courage than I could imagine to do what she had done. There was nothing I wanted to do more than serve her. Why did the gods make doing so hard for me?

We didn't meet many men along our walk to the beach. There were a few servants that would continue to take care of Dragonstone for Daenerys. Though it was doubtful that she would be returning soon. She might only leave King's Landing to claim the North. But she didn't want to leave any doubt to who Dragonstone truly belonged to.

Five Dothraki followed behind and in front once we walked into the morning light. The sunlight had started to illuminate the beauty of the island. The sight nearly made me strong enough to voice all my fears and worries to Daenerys. But my strength quickly withered away as the memory of burning flesh filled my mind.

There was still someone to love in Daenerys, but she could easily let fear cloud her judgment. I'd like to believe that she would never knowingly harm me. However, if I took an unneeded chance now I could die. Hopefully she loved me enough to not have me burned alive and eaten by Drogon. Or would she consider that the highest honor?

I looked at the Dothraki and thought of how they would die if our queen merely asked. Why couldn't I have that loyalty any longer? Why did my mind have to be plagued with doubts? Why? Gods, why?

"I'm surprised." Daenerys said calmly.

"About what?" I replied stoically.

"The Northerners that stayed."

"I don't think you have to worry about them."

"Drogon and the Unsullied can easily take care of them if need be. I'm wondering if Jon said anything about them before he left."

"Why would I know that?"

"You're the last of House Mormont. I thought he would want to talk to you before he left."

"I am yours, Daenerys, completely."

"Did he ask you to do something? Is that why you had to have a walk last night?"

"Jon asked me to leave your side. I refused."

Daenerys was more certain of her steps after I said that. She had guessed that Jon would talk to me but didn't know the real reason. I doubted she thought that Jon loved me and I loved him back. To her I was her husband and couldn't form any romantic relationships with anyone but her. Before Jon that was true.

She saw Jon as a traitor who wanted to tear everyone away from her. So it stood to reason that he would try to tempt me away from her side. And, of course, I would never part from her side. She had just needed reassurance that I would never leave her side. My job had become to remind her that she was deserving of love.

But if Daenerys showed herself to be a villain, how many people would I sacrifice in an attempt to kill her with no blood on my hands? Could I be strong enough if the moment came? Or was it a matter of strength at all?

We got on a small boat that took us to her ship. It was an impressive vessel and the Targaryen sigil seemed to want to wage war with the world. Ghost made his way onto the ship before either of us exited. He was there making sure that no one would dare to attack us.

I went onto the ship next and held out my hand to help Daenerys up. I looked at Grey Worm who seemed to be hidden in the small crowd. Everyone on this ship was trusted by Daenerys and if they dared try to turn on her, there would be more than enough men that would die to defend her.

"Dothraki, Unsullied, and Northerners," Daenerys began once everyone was on board. "I am not the Mad Queen they claim I am. I am no more mad than the countless kings that have come before me. I will retake the throne for House Targaryen and then retake the North. Thus I will destroy the wheel and take Westeros into a new golden age!"

The Dothraki seemed to roar in the anticipation of bloodshed. The Unsullied roared with a sound that seemed like loyalty. The Northerners cheered for a reason I did not know. The Dothraki loved war and the Unsullied were loyal to Daenerys but the Northerners...why were they here? Did they believe Daenerys was the rightful ruler or were they spies instructed to stay by Jon?

Daenerys walked to the front of the ship and I followed her. Everyone else was busy preparing the ship for travel. I looked briefly at the ships around us and saw activity there. This was a momentous occasion that I wanted to enjoy. This was the end result of everything I had fought for.

"Would you blame me for being nervous?" Daenerys asked.

"I wouldn't." I replied. "I would be more worried if you were calm now. You have dreamed of this moment for years."

Daenerys put her hand on the railing and both of us looked up as Drogon flew overhead. If only things weren't so complicated and I could enjoy this moment of glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment