Sunday, April 24, 2022

Everything Everywhere All at Once (Mini-Review)

Everything Everywhere All at Once is a movie that focuses on the struggles of Evelyn Wang. Evelyn helps run a laundromat business with her eccentric husband Waymond and has a distant relationship with her daughter Joy. Her life is full of missed opportunities. But everything changes when she, her husband, and her father have to go to the IRS to see if they can expand their business. It's on that day Evelyn is alerted to the fact there is a multiverse and she may be the only one capable of stopping a great evil. Everything Everywhere All at Once was released in 2022. It was directed by Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert. It stars Michelle Yeoh, Stephanie Hsu, and Ke Huy Quan.

I was very excited to see this movie. The trailers made it seem extremely odd and insane. Plus it dealt with the multiverse. I love odd movies as long as they have a point and it's not just oddness for oddness' sake. This is most commonly achieved by having a simple story told in a complex way. Unfortunately it was limited release for some time and so I couldn't just rush off to my local movie theater to see it. So only within the last few days was it possible for me to see it.

While this film can get extremely odd at times, there is heart to it. Which means when you are seeing some very odd things onscreen, you can connect to the movie. Basically the movie centers around Evelyn deciding what her place in life should be as she is able to view different paths she could have taken. This makes her better able to decide if life has any meaning and if she wants a different life for herself. I sometimes...well...often struggle to understand my life. So seeing Evelyn make choices about her career and relationship really hit home with me. She's a mother and I never will be so...harder to connect with that aspect of her.

Because of the odd way the story is told, this movie might not be for everyone. While it has great heart and tells an emotional story, there are some odd visuals. Evelyn is given a device that allows her the ability to connect with other versions of herself. She can either possess another version of herself or use the abilities of another version of herself. To access those powers she and other people with the device must do nonsensical things. At one point she has to stop someone from putting something shaped like a butt plug into his butt. The scene was hilarious to me but might not be for everyone.

This movie is hard to review both as I'm trying my best not to spoil important moments and it's hard to properly describe how weird it is. Such as there's a reality where people have sausage fingers and that reality ends up having a very heartwarming story to it. I can't properly describe how odd that is or what heartwarming story takes place in it. I want to talk about the great evil but that would go into spoiler territory really quick.

I would recommend Everything Everywhere All at Once to those seeking a good science fiction movie. I would also recommend Everything Everywhere All at Once to those that don't mind odd comedy scenes that also contain awesome fighting sequences. Finally, I would recommend Everything Everywhere All at Once to those seeking a heartwarming tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment