Sunday, April 3, 2022

Morbius (Mini-Review)

Morbius is a movie adaptation of the comic book character. Doctor Micheal Morbius suffers from a rare blood disease which makes him seek a cure to it. He doesn't care about the consequences until he finds the cure. He finds that even though he is healthier, his new found lust for blood makes the cure a curse. Morbius was released in 2022. It was directed by Daniel Espinosa. It stars Jared Leto, Matt Smith, and Adria Arjona.

I was expecting a movie similar to Venom and was glad that this was a more solid movie. Tom Hardy's Venom movies only work because he's such an enjoyable presence onscreen. If this movie went down that route it wouldn't have been good because Jared Leto doesn't have the same onscreen presence as Tom Hardy. This movie was a tightly structured film that focused heavily on the relationship between Micheal and Milo.

There are two mid-credit scenes. Remember the Vulture being in the trailer? Well his only scenes are the mid-credit ones. It seems that Sony is slowly putting together a Sinister 6 movie. To be able to understand the mid-credits scenes you need to see Spider-Man: Homecoming and No Way Home. Though since the scenes are so short, you won't miss much if you're not all caught up. There is no post-credits scene.

I like Jared Harris as an actor and am always happy to see something with him in it. Though the downside of seeing him in things is that his characters tend to die. So when I saw him in the trailer I was excited and also deeply afraid for him. In the movie he plays Doctor Emil Nicholas who is a father figure to both Micheal and Milo.

I have both physical and mental disabilities. So the temptation to take a cure no matter the cost is...I don't know if I'd take it. I have asthma so I have trouble doing the simple task of breathing. I have tendonitis and when it flares up I sometimes have to sit down no matter where I am. I have depression so my own brain forces me to be sad for no reason. Plus various other things are wrong with me. So to have a cure where I could be normal, I might take it even if I turns me into a vampire. I hope I would choose differently but I just don't know. I really liked that the movie made me feel that way.

The relationship between Micheal and Milo seemed nearly romantic. I know that's me being my insatiable shipper self. But there were moments that made me feel that way. At one point early in the film Micheal sends Milo a letter and Milo attempts to beat up another kid to get it back. Then there's the scene in the park that made the pair feel intimate.

Matt Smith seemed to really enjoy playing Milo. There are some darker moments where the actor just seems to enjoy eating up the scenery. He ends up taking the cure and instead of viewing the cost as a curse, he feels it's a blessing. Smith plays a good hero but he also makes a great villain.

I would recommend Morbius to those keeping up with the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). I would also recommend Morbius for those looking for a good superhero movie. I would also recommend Morbius for those who like vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment