This is a Skyrim/Alan Wake 2 fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.
This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.
JASH
The silence had begun to tear into my scales like a dull blade. If I spoke then it would be broken. Both of us could move on. But if there was any chance that enduring the silence could help me keep Tim safe, I would.
He had been a kind face back on Earth and I didn’t want to have to tell Alex that I left him alone on a world he had no experience in.
“You never seemed that hateful before.” Tim said and I had to resist sighing as the silence was broken.
“It takes much to truly anger me.” I replied with a nod.
“So why hate the Thalmor?”
“Because the Thalmor are different. They are High Elf Extremists that look down on anyone who isn’t them. They even hate that most of their own race is more accepting of others. The worst thing about them is that their ultimate goal isn’t known to us.”
I held back a snarl as I began to yearn to tear into more Thalmor flesh. It would be good to hear the pained screams of yet another of that ilk. It was such a pleasant image that I barely noticed that we had drifted back into silence.
“So you don’t even know what the Thalmor want and you hate them?” Tim asked.
“It is true we don’t know their end goal, but we have two well founded theories. Both don’t bode well for Tamriel.” I explained. “This reality is nothing but the latest cycle. Hircine, my husband, is not one for deep thoughts and philosophical discussions. So even though he is older he doesn’t know any more than me about what the ending of this cycle will mean.”
“But the Thalmor know how to end this cycle?”
“There is good evidence that they do.”
“So they just want to destroy the world?”
“Not just destroy this reality. No, they would not pray for destruction if it did not benefit them. They believe that they belong with the Divines and that ending this cycle will ensure their immorality.”
“The second theory isn’t better. Is it?”
“A wise young dryskin you are.”
I paused and looked at how the man was dealing this these revelations. He was unnerved but that was not likely to lead him into inaction.
“Back in the Merethic Era elves reigned supreme.” I continued.
“So all elves, not just High Ones?” Tim asked.
“High Elves were not the only rulers in that era. But it is now only the Thalmor that will do anything to experience such power again. If this is their true goal, I will continue to fight them even if there is no one else. Just like my husband spreads the werebeast blessing, I will make my followers into hybrids of both werebeast and vampire. We may only be a thorn in the side of the Thalmor, but at least we will cause them pain.”
I leaned against the table Tim was sitting by.
“But there is a great war being waged and even if the Thalmor don’t intend to end this kalpa, they will need to win this war.” I said. “That is what gives me hope.”
Tim looked at me in a way that was different from before. It was the same look that many had given me right before they changed their minds. It was clear that he would fight in this war. He was a fighter but he was not yet battle hardened.
Whiterun had taught me the difference. I prayed to Hircine that he will not have the lesson scar his soul in the same way it had mine.
“The Emperor mus-“ Tim started.
“There is no current Emperor or Empress of the Empire.” I corrected him. “After the assassination of Titus Mede the Second, there was too much infighting to settle on a ruler. Then when there was a chance at an Emperor being crowned the Second Great War with the Thalmor started.”
“The Empire mu-why did they give you the Reforged?”
“I formed the Reforged. Not them. It was my accolades and their skills that made it so the Empire allowed me to decide on my own men to fight with.”
“Who are they?”
“Before this war the Empire had to act like they had given in completely to the Thalmor. In truth they were tending to their wounds and waiting for an opportunity to strike once more. Their ruse went to the point of disbanding the Blades. But two managed to escape the slaughter of their order.”
“You’re leading the Reforged and not the Blades so what happened to them?”
“Their cunning and resilience were a boon to what mortals can be. However, their survival had clouded their minds to the point they saw enemies in every shadow and could not let go of old grudges. They even forgot it was theirs to serve the Dragonborn and so thought of me merely as a pawn. It was an annoyance but they were a harm to no one so I let them live.”
Tim’s eyes held such kindness and curiosity that I was able to swim past my guilt.
“Eventually my hatred for the Thalmor caused me to need my own personal army.” I continued. “One that wasn’t bound by any restrictions set by the Empire. Sky Haven Temple, the Blades’ base, was perfectly hidden and hard to travel to even when you knew where it was. So I killed the remaining Blades, renamed the order the Reforged, and took Sky Haven Temple as its base.”
“So could anyone join?” Tim asked.
“No. Due to the need for secrecy, I was highly selective. I would free Thalmor prisoners and if they survived that trial, I would give them the chance to join.”
“So it’s like you’re fighting Nazis.”
Tim paused.
“Uh, do you know who the Nazis were?”
“Tim,” I chuckled. “I lived on your Earth for three years. It was ours to learn about Nazis.”
Tim stood up and held out his hand. I recognized the gesture of him agreeing to join the fight so I took his hand and shook it.
“I’m not going to run away from this war.” Tim said. “But on one condition.”
“Once the war is won I will take you to the Dark Place.” I promised.

No comments:
Post a Comment