Thursday, June 30, 2022

The Umbrella Academy Season 3 (Mini-Review)

The Umbrella Academy Season 3 picks off right where the second season ended. After encountering his adopted children in the past, Sir Reginald Hargreeves adopted new children. Instead of forming the Umbrella Academy, he formed the Sparrow Academy. The Umbrellas are forced to flee their former home after being defeated by the Sparrows. The Hargreeves feel that, for the first time in a long time, they can relax and start to live their lives again. But with another apocalypse quickly approaching and Reginald's dark secret, there will be no time to relax. The Umbrella Academy Season 3 was released on Netflix in 2022.

Allison goes on an extremely dark path this season. It was heartbreaking and maddening seeing what she did episode to episode. Her descent is sparked by the fact that her daughter has ceased to exist in the new timeline she has found herself in. She then decides that she deserves everything she wants. The point at which Allison lost all sympathy for me is when she rapes a man because she thinks she deserves his physical affections. Now while she has been a hero for the past two seasons, her descent into villainy makes sense. The whole Hargreeves family is emotionally unstable and it's a wonder she didn't crack long before now. Plus her reason for turning makes a lot of sense. I hope she finds the light in Season 4 but I don't mind watching her horrifically die at this point.

After Elliot Page came out as both transgender and non-binary people questioned how that would affect the show's third season. I thought that it was equally possible his character would remain a cisgendered woman or become trans in the show. I, as someone who is agender, was extremely happy when it was announced Vanya Hargreeves would become a trans man. When Vanya started identifying as Viktor things felts heavy handed. But after an episode or two things evened out and he's one of my favorite parts of the season. Sometimes realizing your gender identity is a sudden epiphany where everything falls into place and makes sense. Viktor had his realization that way and so did I. I always felt I wasn't cis but also knew I wasn't trans. It took learning the word 'genderfluid' in my mid-twenties that made me really start to explore my gender identity.

Another side to Reginald is shown this season. He is a cruel man that doesn't mind using his own children as canon fodder. It makes sense that he would be so cold as we saw he's an alien last season and, therefore, most likely has a different set of priorities. While he will kill and manipulate to achieve his ends, he also rewards those that help him. Reginald lets two characters have the chance at a good life as they helped him. That doesn't make up for any of his actions as he's fine with letting the whole world burn for his needs.

Luther's mission to the moon is explained more and I think it ruins that plot point. The whole point of him going to the moon was there was no point. He was tossed aside by Reginald after losing everything and that broke him. It made him begin to understand that his father was a monster. So finding out that Reginald actually sent him to the moon for an extremely important mission changes things. Maybe in time I'll grow used to it but for now it has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I would highly recommend The Umbrella Academy Season 3 to those that enjoyed previous seasons. I would also highly recommend The Umbrella Academy Season 3 to those who like superheroes. I would finally highly recommend The Umbrella Academy Season 3 to science fiction fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment