Saturday, August 10, 2019

The Pull of Fate Chapter 11: Sending Help

This is a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil crossover fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.


Jon Stark

This morning had brought many thoughts coursing through my head. Being King of the North was no blessing and instead a curse from the gods. All men and women would not easily agree on a single thing. Everyone had their egos to please and I couldn't yell at them for that fault. Unless I wanted war to break out as the insulted tried to overthrow me. Sansa couldn't easily come to Winterfell's political defense as she had her husband and House Baratheon to care for. She was now part of the South which meant if I sought her help that two kingdoms could be at war.

To calm my addled mind I was riding Ghost in an attempt to collect myself before the sun fully rose. The sun gave the landscape a haunting look as if it was also uncertain about how well I could rule. My father was Rhaegar Targaryen and my mother was Lyanna Stark so there was strong blood in my veins. Then there was the fact that Ned Stark had raised me as his own which had strengthened my spirit. There was nothing I should fear back in Winterfell.

"Your Grace." The guards bowed to me as I rode Ghost through the gates.
The only reason I never ran to the Far North was that my duty continually called me back. While politics made me want to flee Westeros, I cared about the lives of everyone under my rule. From Arya Stark to the guards to the maids. It was my heart that stopped me from acting so selfishly. As if appearing from my thoughts my cousin stood by Nymeria.

"You can't be running off every morning." Arya said and crossed her arms over her chest. "It makes you appear weak."

"I don't ride every morning." I retorted as I got off my direwolf and the two ran off together. "I need to clear my mind and sometimes...you aren't enough."

"Of course I'm not."

"And why are you all motherly all of a sudden?"

"A raven came from King's Landing."

With a disgruntled sigh Arya gave me the paper. The message was extremely simple. Daenerys Targaryen and Jorah Mormont were both looking for a tutor for their daughter Sarisa. The child had come from my loins but my place was in the North, not by my aunt's side. It seemed that my daughter also did not want to rule as her parents were asking for more tutors. Because it was a request from the Southern queen, I would be paid handsomely for helping.

"How many people are left to tutor Sarisa?" I asked.

"Not enough." Arya replied. "The first time Queen Daenerys sent you a letter like this was when she was first looking for candidates. The fact she has sent out a similar letter now means she is desperate."

"Do we have anyone to send?"

The question wasn't directed at my sister, it was me asking myself. There were so few maesters in Westeros that I couldn't lend her the support of ours. One that was old and had finished his training had arrived two nights ago. It was only by luck that happened and sending him to the South would create two problems: the first was leaving Winterfell without a maester and the second was giving out the appearance the North was still controlled by the Iron Throne.

"We shouldn't need to send anyone." Arya retorted. "I don't like to conform to how a lady is supposed to be, but I never drove away tutor after tutor. I never made the maester decide to request a different House to serve. If she fails in learning how to rule, that will be the South's problem."

"The South's problem will be ours if we allow it to grow large enough." I reminded her. "For now Daenerys and Jorah are content to be allies. If we keep in their good graces Sarisa won't decide to make war with us. But if the rulers of the Southern Kingdom becomes unhinged then we will have problems. Unless you decide to run away."

"You know I would never run if I thought you were in danger."

It had been a cruel thing for me to imply. My cousin's veins were thick with Stark blood. Her veins were thicker with Stark blood than me as I had bits of Targaryen in mine. I was a ballad of ice and fire. The new maester had shown interest in writing an epic poem of my history. I was sure this wasn't a show of kindness but a way for him to get into my good graces.

The only reason I had spoken such cruel words was because I was nervous. I needed better training than I ever had. When I was young the status of bastard stopped me from going above my station. It was only when I joined the Night's Watch I was treated with respect. Now as King of the North I was nearly helpless when it came to political situations.

"I know Sarisa is no longer my concern." I said and started to walk to the Great Hall. "But she is my child. I can't forget that she shares my blood. My eyes never saw my father and mother together. It hurts that I gave my daughter a life of not knowing me. Except if there is a namesday celebration or wedding I attend. But there is some responsibility I have for her future."

"If you didn't worry about your daughter's future, I'd be worried about you." Arya replied. "A Jon that doesn't care beyond reason, is not really Jon."
The people we passed bowed down to me and Arya. While she was not yet my queen, she still commanded respect. She had been one of the leaders during the War for the Dawn. If not for her the world would have been lost. She was strong and caring in equal measures. Though her face no longer hinted at her humanity most of the time. Unless we were together she didn't manage much more than a stoic face. Her, Jorah, and Grey Worm had some of the sternest stares I had ever seen.

"But you don't think I should send anyone else?" I asked after I took note of her tone.

"We have already sent two people." Arya replied as we entered the Great Hall. "That is two more people than any allied kingdom need send to another. If Daenerys can't get her heir under control, it is not our duty to tend for it. Besides, aren't you concerned about any political complications about sending more people South?"

"I will only choose those loyal to the North. If Sarisa is taught by a Northerner then it might be that she won't war with us."

"You are trying to sound like Sansa."

"Am I succeeding?"

Arya just laughed. My cousin was right in that I was just doing my best to justify sending another tutor to King's Landing. She had both complimented my love for my daughter and pointed a finger at my inability to truly grasp politics. She was a good lover and sibling. For some reason my sexual interest in Arya had never wavered while my Stark upbringing had stopped me from wanting to continue a romance with my aunt. That and the fact she had made the decision to choose Jorah as king instead of me. I guess Jaime was right and we didn't choose who we loved.

"So why won't the Northern lords find it suspicious that you're sending another tutor to King's Landing?" Arya asked. "Every time we have sent a tutor they have seemed to be on edge. I overheard one say that you're being too kind and would be unable to kill her if need be."

I wanted to yell that I would never harm my daughter. But that wasn't the right thing to say as it would only play into the hands of Northern lords. It wasn't enough to them that I kept my kingdom prosperous. No, I had to make the North into their image. If only I had Sansa's political expertise so I didn't feel as though I were blind.

"We will only send one more." I promised. "And if the King and Queen of the South decide to ask us for another tutor, there will be a price to be paid. A price that will be decided on by all the Northern lords."

"And what price will you be willing to ask for?" Arya asked.

"I'm hoping that Sarisa will take to her next tutor. I don't know how I'll be able to handle negotiating with them and the South. I might age fifty years."

"You will be able to negotiate." My lover said and took my hands in her own. "You weren't raised with a royal upbringing, but your heart is more pure than any I've seen before."
I looked into her eyes. She was the strength of the North in one body. She was wild yet refined enough to take out in public. If only she would be my queen and have my children. We ****** nearly every night, and sometimes during the day, but had not yet had a child. The son or daughter would never be a bastard as I would legitimize them.

"I wouldn't have made it anywhere without the faith of those around me." I said with a gentle smile.

"I can promise you I don't have any faith in you." Arya replied with a playful look.

"Then why stay in Winterfell so long?"

"There are other things here than faith."

Without being aware of my head moving, my lips met hers and we kissed. She completed me in a way no one else did. No, that was a lie. Ygritte lit a flame in me that would never die and helped me move on after her death. The fire she started made me strong enough to fight every battle that needed to be fought. With Arya's lips on mine I was aware of a flame I wanted to end in our marriage. But she would need prompting before she agreed.

"What are you thinking, Jon?" Arya asked and pushed me roughly against one of the tables.

"You would make a strong queen, if that is what you wanted." I said and instantly regretted my words.

"I have never wanted to wear a gown or other lady things."

"My queen could dress how ever she wanted to. If you wanted to wear manly clothes, you could."

"Why can't you accept things for what they are? That the life you want for me isn't something I will ever accept?"

"If you are too wild to be a queen, why not go to King's Landing to be Sarisa's tutor? You would be able to go on a great journey and train another girl with your ideals."

Arya stepped back from me and I could tell she was considering the offer. It would grant her what she wanted which was time away from Winterfell and an excuse to traverse Westeros. It would grant me the ability to put someone I trusted to watch over my daughter. Even if I couldn't ever claim her as such.

"No," Arya replied softly. "I don't want to become involved in politics if I can avoid doing so. You want me to become queen and I am of House Stark, how do you think the Northern lords will take that? You and I will both have to defend me. Sarisa is safe in King's Landing and there is no attempt on her life. If someone does threaten her I will race to the South."

I knew that arguing the matter further would be more than futile. She also had a point. Sending a tutor to the South was a risky enough move without sending a Lady of Winterfell. Granting Daenerys use of a Northerner was walking a fine line between helping an ally and endangering my kingdom.

"You are right, as always." I said with a nod. "I'll put out an offer for a tutor to go down South to teach Sarisa Targaryen. I will clearly state this is the last time such a thing will be done. There will be tryouts to see if anyone would be fit training my daughter."

"And what if there is no suitable tutor?"

"Then my aunt can figure something out. She was able to gather an army to conquer Westeros and survived the War for the Dawn. She is quite capable of doing the impossible."

"Or maybe her daughter is the one thing she can't conquer."

"Just like you."

"It's the day, shouldn't you be busy doing kingly duties?"

"Arya, you are the only duty I care about now."

I embraced her and kissed her deeply. She started to push me to the nearest wall and I allowed her to guide me. It excited me to not be fully in control like this. It felt good to abandon everything in these moments.

"What are you thinking about now?" Arya asked the moment my back slammed into a wall.

"I wish you were wearing a dress." I breathed. "I want to tear it off of you."

"Maybe I'll get a dress just for you."
The rational part of my mind told me to not make love here, but that part wasn't in control. So we teased and played with each other as we made love. Our sensual danced ended with her underneath me and both of us more than satisfied.

As I started to speak there was a knock on one of the doors. Arya chuckled as our lovemaking had not gone unnoticed. At least whoever was outside was kind enough to wait. We quickly got dressed and did our best to hide the marks of what had happened.

"Yes." I said loudly and one woman entered the room. "What is it?"

"I am sorry to disturb you, Your Grace." The woman said and bowed deeply. "But a raven has come from what remains of Eastwatch."

Eastwatch had been used by the Night's Watch before the War of the Dawn. It was not destroyed, yet not normally used. Those without royal blood sought to claim it and make a name for themselves. While allowing it to be claimed seemed like a minor thing, it would allow new Lords and Ladies to come forth. Thus making it my duty to drive them out unless I saw them as worthy of holding a title.

"I will see the maester shortly." I told her.

"Yes, Your Grace." She replied with another bow and acted as if she hadn't heard the ******* that had just occurred in the Great Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment