Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The Dragon's Mistake

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This is a drabble. Feel free to make a request or two.

The smell of the burned bodies of King's Landing filled the air as did the ashes. I had had no choice but to slaughter those below. At least Jon had finally accepted that I was justified in his actions. There were tears wanting to leave his eyes but he held them back as he knew the truth.

When Jorah had died I realized my feelings for him went deeper than I wanted to admit. He was a mere knight and I a queen. Queens did not marry knights and so I hadn't allowed my love for him to be known by me. Jon would never be Jorah, but he would do. Our love would be enough to lift me up to new heights.

As Jon and I kissed I noticed nervousness in the act. Yet his lips claimed mine in a passionate manner. He would come back to me and there would be no need to kill him. After losing everyone else I couldn't stand to also lose his affections.

Suddenly there was a pain in my chest and I looked down. I had been betrayed by one who was supposed to love me! A burning rage started to form in the depths of my soul but the world turned black before I could do anything.

The feeling of waves against my body was the next thing I was aware of. The water was so cold and the pain the waves caused so great, that I had no choice but to wake up. I coughed as I slowly, too slowly, crawled out of their reach. The moment the water didn't touch me I rolled over and looked at the sky.

The sun was bright, too bright, and I realized I was wearing what I had been when traveling with the Dothraki. In the clothing I had died in there would have been more protection from the shearing heat. All of my body hurt as I managed to stand up.

What now? Did I even want to continue exploring this afterlife?

I looked behind me and sighed. Maybe it was possible for me to stand here for eternity but that would grow boring quickly. Besides standing still would remind me of how small I was. It would be easier to keep the pain of Jon killing me fresh. The thought of Drogon killing the traitor gave me enough strength to move.

Each breath was harder to take than the last. At least I would spend the afterlife in Dragonstone, the home of House Targaryen. There were still so many places of my birthright that I didn't know about. Maybe Rhaegar was here and he could tell me endless stories about his life.

I yelled out in fright when I stepped through the doors to the throne room and walked into the town of Meereen. It was lifeless and I wrapped my arms around myself to keep calm. I wished that someone, even Viserys, would run towards me. The silence had been bearable on the beach but here it would kill me.
My footsteps soon took me to the throne. Tears started to form in my eyes when I saw Jorah. There was no doubt that this was him and not an illusion. I would be able to tell if I was being fooled. He was much too real to be fake.

In his eyes I saw the burning of King's Landing in an entirely new light. While the cries of the fallen hadn't been lost to my ears, now they had a new weight to them. They weren't mere objects to destroy to cause Cersei Lannister to know she was doomed when I came for her, but actual people. I heard a child cry as she was burned while clutching her mother's fallen body.

I felt the terror of the women as soldiers raped them and then left them to die. I saw the relief of a woman when Jon killed her rapist. The smell of burning bodies made me stumble and Jorah caught me in his arms.

What had I done? Jon was right to kill me.

"Jorah," I begged with tears in my voice. "Please forgive me. I didn't know. I didn't know."

"Are you a child, Daenerys?" He asked me.

"I am not."

"Why did you burn King's Landing? Why did you kill countless innocents?"

"I wanted the Iron Throne."

"We both know that's a lie, Khaleesi."

"I was in pain and needed others to feel my pain. You were gone and I didn't know how to go on."

"You never needed me."

Through my tears I saw his gentle smile. He was the only good thing in this hell and yet he hurt me. He had believed in me. He had trusted in me. He had devoted himself to me and I had repaid him in the worst way. Instead of being the queen he had died for, I had become something dark and twisted.

His arms pulled me against him as my tears continued. He ran his fingers through my hair and I wondered why I hadn't allowed myself such pleasures while alive. He might have been a mere knight, but I loved him more than anyone.

"Daenerys, you will have eternity to make up for your mistakes." Jorah said and looked gently into my eyes. "And I will be by your side the entire time."

"How can you ever forgive me?" I asked him. "After all I've don-"

"I love you. For better or worse, I love you to the very core of my being."

His lips leaned down to mine and I allowed him a chaste kiss. His kiss felt so good I put my arms around his neck and deepened the kiss.

"I should have kissed you sooner, Jorah." I breathed.

"That is another mistake you have eternity to correct." Jorah replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment