Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Mini-Review)

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was released in August of 2019. The movies is based on a series of three books released from 1981 to 1991. It is directed by André Øvredal and stars Zoe Margaret Colletti, Micheal Garza, and Gabriel Rush. I was interested in this movie because I had read at least one of the books and Guillermo Del Toro's name was attached.

On the positive side of things the monster designs were outstanding. They were extremely spooky and frightening. A monster I didn't think I'd have problems with really unnerved me. I also enjoyed how one character transformed into a scarecrow. It was disturbing even though I didn't really care for the character.

Finally, the final fight had the survivors fighting separate battles. Those battles were combined so that you were equally focused on both.

As for the not so good...one sequence I had been looking forward to had a little too much bad CGI for me to be properly freaked out. Though I still felt like things were crawling on me afterwards so I guess it couldn't have been that bad.

There are some plot lines and reveals that are predictable. So while this is a good movie, don't expect it to properly mess you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment