Thursday, May 12, 2022

To Die For You If Need Be Chapter 7: Queen of the North

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

Sansa Stark

In the Great Hall I sat beside Jon. Everyone seemed to sense that something important was about to happen. Ghost was sitting in front of my brother which added a great weight to today's proceedings. While I wanted to argue with my brother, I couldn't risk our subjects seeing a division between me and him. If Littlefinger sowed discord, I wouldn't make things easy for him.

From the corner of my eye I saw the man. If you didn't know what he was, he seemed like just another man. But once you knew what to look for the feeling of uneasiness surrounded him. Yet he could make all the signs that told you to run seem foolish. He had been my teacher once and now he was my enemy.

"Daenerys Targaryen has sent a raven from Dragonstone to ask for me to meet her." Jon began. "I know what happened the last time a Targaryen came to conquer Westeros. I remember how my ancestor bent the knee and I won't repeat that. The North is finally free from the Iron Throne and she will have to honor that!"

There was a loud clamor of excitement except for two people. The first was Littlefinger who didn't have emotions like a normal person. The other was Lady Lyanna Mormont who was utterly concentrated on Jon's whole speech. She probably wouldn't voice her very vocal opinion until everything had been said.

"I do not go to Dragonstone lightly." Jon continued after everyone was silent once again. "The dangers are worth the risk. The Night King wishes to enslave all of Westeros. Right now he is stopped by the Wall but he must have plans to get over it. I won't risk the safety of the North by assuming he will never be able to come here. And as he has a weakness for flames, the Targaryen's dragons are needed to win the war."

Jon was right to go to Dragonstone. He was right to seek Daenerys' aid. But at the same time it felt as though the risks were too great. It had taken some time for me to fall asleep last night as images of his burnt corpse filled my mind. Upon waking I had to remind myself that it wasn't likely she would kill my brother. It wasn't as though she had started ruthlessly attacking Westeros when she could have with three dragons. Never mind the other armies she had at her side.

"My journey to Dragonstone will be a long one if all goes right." Jon said. "So I will leave Sansa Stark in charge until I return. She and I are the last of House Stark. She will be known as the Queen of the North until I return home."

I wanted to break down and cry at Jon's proclamation. He didn't leave me in charge because of some political ploy. He saw me as someone worthy of trust. I wondered why I didn't feel pride like I would have when younger. All I felt was a great weight on my shoulders and the need to return to a simpler time.

"I am honored, Your Grace." I said and managed to keep all negative emotions from my voice. "I will serve the North until your timely return."

"I expect nothing less, Sansa." Jon replied with a curt nod. "I will return with Daenerys Targaryen as an ally. I will return with three dragons ready to fight the dead. I will return without bending the knee to a queen."

The Great Hall erupted into a cacophony of sound as everyone showed their support. As the noise died down servants brought out a small meal for everyone. I had wanted a great feast to announce Jon's leaving so as to put our people into the right mindset. I had wanted to make sure that the memories they had of Jon were good and inspired loyalty. But with Winter approaching, it would be beyond stupid to waste food.

"Ghost should stay with you." Jon said as he ate his meal. "I don't want to leave you here without any protection."

"You need to take him in case something goes wrong at Dragonstone." I told him. "Brienne of Tarth has sworn her loyalty to me. If any are foolish to try and attack me she will kill them."

I tilted my head in Brienne's direction. She was standing guard at one of the walls. Unlike everyone else, she was not eating. I guess she thought that eating would distract her if anything went wrong. She shouldn't be so worried as the only danger right now was Littlefinger and the man wouldn't be foolish enough to attack now.

"I'm aware that Littlefinger hasn't returned to the Vale." Jon said quietly. "The longer he stays the more likely he is to try something."

"And you think Ghost will be able to stop him?" I asked. "He doesn't fight with weapons, he fights with words."

"I know. I know."

"Are you really that worried about leaving me alone?"

"I don't want to leave. The North is all I've ever known. There is no part of me that thinks I'll be comfortable where the weather is warmer."

"Then you need Ghost for that reason. He's both a piece of the North and a gift from father. Even if I did need protection, you need him more than I do."

If only I could accept Jon's offer of Ghost. The direwolf was a piece of my brother and might be the only thing that would remain of him. If Jon were to die wouldn't it be better to have a piece of him to help me carry on? A piece of him that I could tell all my worries to?

But I didn't deserve a direwolf, did I? Being young and naive was no excuse. Lady would still be with me if I had been different. At least Ghost and Nymeria lived on. I didn't know where Nymeria was but if she was as wild as Arya, she was thriving.

"Your Grace," Lyanna said loudly once everyone was finished eating. "Your place is in Winterfell, not in Dragonstone. I don't trust the Targaryen and you shouldn't either."

I wished I could agree with the young Mormont, but that wasn't possible. It would show the others that there might be a division between Jon and myself. If they saw that weakness they would exploit it to the determinant of the North. So my only choices were to remain silent or agree with my brother.

"My place is where duty calls me." Jon replied. "In this case I'm the only one Daenerys will want to talk to. If anyone else goes then she will take it as a slight against her. She won't ally with the North if that's the case."

"And what will we do if she kills you?" Lyanna retorted. "There are many losses the North can handle but you aren't one of them."

"If I don't return then Sansa will take my place. She has shown herself to be both loyal to the North and intelligent. If I'm to die I am more than confident that she will lead the North to glory."

"I don't want the mantle, Lady Mormont," I said. "Jon is the best hope for the North. His bravery and dedication are beyond renown. I am not worthy to rule in his place but it is what I will do. I would rather die than sacrifice Northern Independence. If the Targaryen kills Jon I will seek vengeance."

"Why do we need the Targaryen?" Lyanna asked. "We of the North can defend our own."

"If you had seen the Night King's army, you would understand." Jon replied. "Besides going for her dragons, the island of Dragonstone has something we need to fight the dead. Underneath the island is dragonglass which is one of the only substances that can harm the dead."

I pretended not to be surprised about the news. That must be what the raven from the Citadel had been about. Sam had figured out a way to help Jon and so sent him much needed information. If only the new information had allowed Jon not to go to Dragonstone.

"I don't know my brother to back away from a fight." I told Lyanna. "I also don't know him to take the easiest path. If he says that negotiating with Daenerys is the only way to save both Westeros and the North, I believe him. There is no doubt in my mind."

"Then why didn't you tell him about the Knights of the Vale?" She retorted and her words tore into me.

"It was a mistake on my part and one I regret terribly. I had been raped numerous times by Ramsay Bolton and didn't yet know who to trust. I was dishonorable and didn't trust Jon to do the right thing. I also didn't know if Lord Baelish's offer of help was genuine."

I also didn't know if asking for his help meant there was a hidden cost. It would be like him to help and then take what he really wanted. He had been the one to tell me to always think the worst of people and then decide if those fears were justified.

There was a silence that penetrated every inch of the Great Hall. Lyanna had been one of Jon's most loyal supporters since the Battle of the Bastards. She had loudly defended him and demeaned those that doubted my brother. If she disagreed with him then it could open the doors for others to overthrow Jon. Maybe I would die in the coup or they would look to me as their new ruler. No one could truly tell what another would do.

"Being king is not an easy task, Jon." Lyanna said and I forced myself not to sigh in relief. "Ruling House Mormont has left me to make hard choices and your position must force you to make even harder decisions. I trust Sansa to have dissuaded you from going to Dragonstone if there was any other choice. You're the only one to have seen the dead and so you know their weaknesses better than most."

I looked at those in the Great Hall to see who was disappointed by what Lady Mormont had said. Those faces would reveal to me who to look out for while Jon was gone. They would be the ones that would try to get me to overthrow Jon. Or they might try to kill me and put themselves as King of the North.

"I am grateful for your understanding." Jon said.

"I will be returning to Bear Island." Lyanna replied with a curt nod. "I have been gone for too long."

Of course Lyanna wasn't worried about having been gone too long. She was a child but wasn't hindered by stupidity. She must be worried about Daenerys and wanted to prepare in case she had to fight the Targaryen. I didn't blame her as my mind had being racing with how to defend and survive dragon attacks. Her ancestors had been able to easily take over Westeros so it stood to reason there might be no defense.

Or had Torrhen Stark merely been a coward?

"I will send a raven upon leaving Dragonstone." Jon said.

His words had been friendly but extremely clear. He expected Lyanna to return when he called no matter what the girl thought of Daenerys. Her loyalty was to him and speaking against him in public was going too close to the line. Jon was far from a politician but even he knew the rules for survival. Allowing others to show disloyalty was to court disaster.

If Lyanna wasn't already loyal, I would have spoken out to silence her.

"Until we meet again, King Jon." Lyanna said with a bow and then left.

The Mormonts in the Great Hall followed their Lady and everyone else turned to watch them. I could see men itching to leave but holding themselves back. They knew that Lyanna had privileges that they could only dream of. If they left now it would show Jon and myself where their loyalties didn't lie.
* * *
"What are you thinking?" Jon asked as he prepared his horse.

We were in the stables where no one paid attention to us. Jon had chosen a horse that just happened to be out of direct view of most people. I resisted wrapping my arms around myself so it wasn't obvious how afraid I was. Now that I was temporary Queen of the North it wouldn't do for me to appear human. Humans had weaknesses, gods didn't.

"I still don't want you to go." I admitted. "I know why you have to go but I'm afraid for you. I'm afraid you're wrong about Daenerys and I'll have no one left. If you die I'll have suitors and that isn't something I want now. But if I die there needs to be a child to take my place."

And beneath those reasonable thoughts was something else. Something else that must only be forming because Jon was my only family left. My past had forced me to only trust family. And if I were to marry I wanted to trust my husband. It was sick and twisted but that thought was there.

"****, if I'm going to be king I need to marry." Jon said with a chuckle.

"Don't you dare marry the Targaryen." I joked.

For a brief moment Ghost came over to us and then went back to watching the soldiers. I looked at them briefly. They were both loyal and efficient killers. If my brother got in trouble in the South they would make sure he returned home safely.

Hopefully.

"I'm scared of the South." I admitted. "That's where everything changed for our family. Well, for me more than you. No matter what happened you would have taken the black. You also wouldn't have had to win back Winterfell and father would have lent you his support to fight the Night King."

"I wouldn't have to be the King of the North if father or Robb were still alive." Jon said with a grim grin. "I could just focus on the task of fighting the dead. I would be safe up North while Robb went to negotiate with the Targaryen."

"He wouldn't bend the knee."

I wanted to say that Daenerys couldn't kill someone like our brother. But that was a lie we knew all too well. Before the Red Wedding I had lived under the illusion that nothing could kill Robb. Afterwards...afterwards a great truth was brought to life: no person was ever safe. No matter how much you cared for them.

"Maybe he would allow me to marry Daenerys." Jon teased.

"You are not marrying her." I replied.

"Who would stop me?"

Those twisted thoughts dug into me and I couldn't resist. Especially since this could be the last time I ever saw Jon. So, after making sure no one was paying attention to us, I kissed him gently on the lips.

What the **** had I done? What if I had torn down the bond we had formed? What if I lost my only sibling just because I couldn't control myself?

"I'm sorry, Jon." I said. "You're the only person left I can trust and you're leaving."

My fear was taking control of me and might be my undoing. If I couldn't resist sick, immoral thoughts why should I be queen? Were these the kinds of things Jon was continually resisting? Or was he pure while I was broken?

"Sansa, it's okay." Jon said and rested his hand on my arm. "I'll be returning home with Daenerys as my ally. And you won't kiss me again."

I could hear the joking tone in his voice as he talked about me not kissing him again. I also heard that he didn't want me like that. He had forgiven me.

"Why?" I teased. "Because you'll have married her?"

"You know what they say about Southern women..." Jon began.

"What do they say?"

"I have no idea but I'm about to find out."

"Stay safe and come home."

"I'll do my best. I trust you to lead the North if I die."

"I'll do my best."

"We're ready, Your Grace." A soldier said with a bow.

Jon mounted his horse and followed the man. I walked after him and saw Ghost racing out into the snow. The direwolf would protect my brother when no one else could. A crowd quickly formed and my brother made yet another speech before riding off with his men. I couldn't listen to his words as it took all my strength to not break down crying as he slowly went out of view.

After he was gone the people looked to me. I was their hope against any fears. But I was at a loss as to what to do. Whatever I said would have to appear confident to their ears. Luckily there weren't any armies racing towards us that I had to prepare for. The only threat was the Night King and he was currently held back by the Wall.

"Our King will return to us." I proclaimed loudly. "He will tame the Targaryen queen so that she won't dare attack the North! She may have dragons but Jon is a Northerner!"

Everyone cheered before returning to their duties. In the dispersing crowd I saw two figures that stayed still. The first was Brienne of Tarth who looked proud to serve me. Her face was a good ointment to cool my fears. Jon had Ghost and I had Brienne.

The other face was not so kind. Littlefinger seemed to laugh loudly with a faint grin. His eyes mocked me and asked if I truly believed what I said. His lips silently told me that I would fall and he would be there to use me.

No comments:

Post a Comment