Monday, May 9, 2022

Just Say Gay (Journal)

In Florida at the time of posting this there is a bill nicknamed the "Don't Say Gay" bill. Basically what the bill aims to do is to ban talking about the LGBTQ+ community in school. This seems to be a homophobic law aimed to make sure kids won't be gay.

When I was growing up I didn't live in a place where people talked about being in the LGBTQ+ community. As I didn't have a lot of friends growing up, I could count the number of friends on one hand and have fingers left, I wasn't opened to exploring my sexuality.

Did that make me straight?

It took until my freshman year to begin feeling comfortable calling myself bisexual, though I was and still am in the closet in most places. It wasn't until I was in my mid-twenties that I learned about the term genderfluid and so I started referring to myself as that gender identity. Within the past few years I realized I'm not genderfluid but agender.

So all this bill will accomplish is making kids in the LGBTQ+ community hate themselves because they don't know there isn't anything wrong with them. It will also make school more of an utter hell for them.

It is sadly a big deal to say you're not straight. The world judges you for simply being who you are. So what if you are a woman that loves women? So what if you identify outside of the gender binary?

Sometimes you have feelings that you don't want to share with the world. Such as maybe you're exploring the possibility that you're not straight and/or cisgender.

In any case Just Say Gay won't judge you as you explore your feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment