Saturday, August 13, 2022

To Die For You If Need Be Chapter 16: Calming Winter

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

Daenerys Targaryen

Dragonstone was colder than in days past. It was as if winter wanted to test the waters. A few days had been like this and so I knew the cold would soon pass. The difference with today was the fact that Jon had arrived and thus the weather seemed to be an omen. Winter had come down to Dragonstone to see what kind of woman I was. He would leave here as either an ally or enemy. I wouldn't hope that a stranger holding an area of land I wanted would become a friend.

Tyrion was right, the game of thrones was hard and didn't leave room for much humanity.

I walked through parts that none were currently gathered in. The only ones around me were Dothraki who would die for me. They would consider it a great dishonor if anything were to happen to me. Their loyalty didn't come easily, especially with this cold weather, but my strength had kept them by my side thus far. Once I sat on the Iron Throne I would grant them the option to return to Essos.

My children had been mostly quiet today as if they knew its importance. They had been loud only once which is when I had begun walking to the throne room. I assumed they were alerting me to Jon's presence or he had excited them in some way. There wasn't much remembered about dragons so I didn't know if it was a good sign. Had they been warning me? Was Jon dangerous?

It didn't matter if he was. I had to take the chance that he would become a dangerous enemy. He controlled the North which was one of the largest parts of Westeros. It had grown even larger with the Vale turning away from the control of the Iron Throne. If he decided to act against me, the major fight would be to keep the Iron Throne from the North.

A few small birds ran across the ground and yelled out. One even turned to yell at me as if it could hope to win. But hadn't I been like that bird once? Something small, delicate, and harmless. Yet my position now would make people think such things were nothing but rumors. How could one of the most dangerous people in Westeros ever have let someone beat her? How could the great Daenerys Targaryen ever have been sold by her own brother to get an army?

I entered the throne room and briefly looked at my seat. The two Dothraki stood on either side of the throne as I sat on it. Jon must not see any sign of how nervous I actually was. He couldn't see a weakness that could be exploited. Tyrion had reassured me multiple times that the bastard wouldn't use such tactics. But it had been years since my Hand last saw the king. People could change in unimaginable ways in the span of merely a few months. People could become a completely different person in the span of a few years.

I went over in my mind everything that had been discussed in preparation for this meeting. My attention was diverted from self-reflection when I heard people approaching. Those must be Missandei and Jon Snow along with whoever he had brought. This was the point of no return. If I ran now then he would see me as a coward and there would be no changing his mind of that afterwards.

Missandei entered the throne room first with Jon Snow, Ser Davos, and a wolf-like creature following close behind. It was pure white with red eyes and could have been confused with a wolf if not for being the size of a small horse. Jon could easily ride the strange crea-direwolf. I had only read stories about the creatures. From the stories I knew they were highly connected with House Stark and were long since considered extinct.

Jon looked as if he didn't belong in my throne room. While he had the air of a leader, his demeanor appeared a little too shy for the role. It was strange to consider that this man ruled the North and I needed to do my best to please him. After a moment, though, I saw why people would willingly die for him. His shyness was a strength as it showed humility. Much more humility than I was used to encountering.

Ser Davos' eyes seemed to barely look around the room. But I knew what small glances could mean and therefore saw how thoroughly he was examining the room. He was here to make sure that Jon did not stumble. He had guided Stannis Baratheon until the fool no longer heeded his advice. That cost the Baratheon his life.

The three people and direwolf stopped walking and looked up at me. From their expressions it was clear no one saw my nervousness. No one saw the scared girl that still existed underneath a calm exterior. To his credit Jon did not appear as if he was about to fall down crying. This was a man who had managed to rise above his station as a bastard just as I had risen from mine.

There was a kindness to his face that nearly made me forget the politics of the situation. We weren't two commoners that could meet without the world changing. It wasn't our lot to meet up at the local tavern and share a few pints of ale. No, we held the fate of Westeros in our hands. It wasn't fair but I wouldn't run from my destiny. I wouldn't run from what I had to do.

I trusted that Jon felt the same. He must feel loyalty to House Stark to be crowned King of the North. To be regarded so highly he must have proved himself to his fellow Northerners. That group of people loathed outsiders and so wouldn't accept someone that couldn't adhere to their values.

Missandei walked and took her place at my right side. I looked for Tyrion who was supposed to be here and saw him standing behind a few Unsullied. He must have felt tired from the walk and hadn't made it to my throne in time. To correct the mistake now would be to show weakness.

"You are in the presence of Daenerys Targaryen." Missandei began. "First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Protector of the Seven Kingdoms, the Mother of Dragons, the Khalee-"

I held up one hand briefly and Missandei stopped talking. Normally I enjoyed hearing my ever growing list of titles. It helped me to remind myself of how far I had come. Mother of Dragons was one of my favorites as I always liked thinking of my children. My dragons weren't human but I was their mother nonetheless.

The reason I stopped Missandei was that Jon would not be impressed by my long list of titles. In Essos my titles had worked as a short way to remind people of what I had done. This in turn told them why it was in their best interests to obey my demands. A Northerner, a man who distrusted outsiders, wouldn't care if I had saved the known world. In fact listing my titles might even make Jon more unlikely to ally with me.

"I am Queen Daenerys Targaryen." I said. "I have come to Westeros to reclaim the Iron Throne for my House. It is also true that Cersei Lannister has shown herself to be a poor queen and menace to the Westerosi people. I have heard rumors of her unleashing wildfire in King's Landing."

Jon now had a look of surprise on his face. I could imagine the pictures of what a Northerner would form of a Targaryen. He was unlikely to have considered that I was reasonable. He was likely to think I would just as easily burn as look at him.

"And you are King Jon Snow." I continued. "You may be the first bastard in all of history that has risen to be a king. And you haven't needed to make your subjects fear you, your heart makes many come to your side."

"I di-" Jon started.

"My king has shown mercy to those in the North just as you have showed violence to the people of Essos." Davos interrupted with a tone that seemed kinder than his words.

"To earn respect across the sea you need to show violence." I replied in a tone that hopefully didn't sound too irate. "I would have died if I didn't spill blood."

"My Hand means no disrespect, Daenerys." Jon said quickly.

"I assume his words were to cover you during this meeting."

"His outburst was his own. Many in the North don't trust you but I do. I care for them and accept the titles that reassure them of my loyalty."

Jon looked briefly at Davos. The look of anger passed quickly and he soon looked calm once again. I wanted to yell at them but decided to hold back. Davos had only been looking to protect his king and no harm was meant.

"I admire you, Jon." I said calmly. "You know why you have been called here so I won't waste your time any longer. Will you bend the knee?"

"Torrhen Stark bent the knee to Aegon Targaryen." Jon answered. "He did so because Aegon would have burnt the North. It wasn't until Robb Stark, my brother, seceded from the Iron Throne that the North regained its independence. In his memory I can't bend the knee."

If I hadn't known he was a bastard before, I would never have guessed the circumstances of his birth now. His eyes gave no hint of backing down from his decision. He was looking at me and daring me to argue with him. If not for my need to claim the North as my own, I would have accepted defeat and instead formed an alliance with him. The alliance would span generations and make Westeros even stronger than it was now.

I wished he had bent the knee easily as the plan now was one I didn't want to enact. The embarrassment of admitting my barrenness to Jon was nearly too much to bear. My position as queen made me push through my fears to do what needed to be done. No matter how much I loathed doing so.

"Then I have another proposal for you." I said and my hands rested in my lap. "I have left myself open for marriage and also reinstated polygamy. Thus I am able to have Ser Jorah Mormont as a husband while leaving myself open for a more favorable political marriage."

"It seems that a marriage with you is just another form of bending the knee." Jon replied.

"You're right. But a bending of the knee that leaves House Stark in control of the Iron Throne."

Jon looked at Davos who gave the king a nod. I had to win the Onion Knight to my side or else I could lose the North. There was much to gain today and everything to lose. I tried to remember the lessons I had learned in Meereen.

"I am barren." I continued. "House Targaryen ends with me. I have found peace in my dragons being the only children I'll have. Ser Jorah Mormont has been disowned by his House and therefore House Mormont will not inherit the Iron Throne from him. That leaves you as the only one able to produce an heir."

"And do I have your word that any children I have will be Starks?" Jon asked.

"You have my word. I care more about reuniting Westeros than my pride. Sacrifices must be made in pursuit of the greater good."

"And the greater good just happens to align with House Targaryen retaking the Iron Throne?"

"What other option is there in the present? Do you think that Cersei cares for the Westerosi people? With a marriage to me your House controls the future of Westeros. Don't you trust your family?"

There was not many you could trust in this world. One of the few was your family. At least family was supposed to have your back and be there in your darkest moment. Failing that family was supposed to make sure your position in life was strong so that they too could rise in power. The Stark family had been killed over the years and now only two remained.

Jon stared at me and seemed to consider my words. Even the most honorable of men had their weaknesses. He could be tempted by power, not for himself, but for his House. I didn't have anything against him having kids with Sansa as doing so would keep the bloodline pure. And when rebuilding a House, the bloodline must remain pure at the start.

"Will you not support my war against the dead if I refuse to marry you?" Jon asked. "Or bend the knee at the least?"

"I'm not a tyrant, though rumors would disagree." I replied. "Protecting Westeros is more important than a permanent alliance."

I was not lying, but lies had left my lips. The North was one of the Seven Kingdoms and I wanted to rule them all. My ancestors would not look kindly on me if I didn't reclaim everything they once ruled. But wasn't it more important to repair the damage my House had done? The North had risked everything for independence and that should be honored.

What did I really want? To break the wheel? To rule all of Westeros?

Jon was taking his time to give an answer. He kept nearly turning to Davos and I knew why he wasn't asking his Hand's advice. To do so now would reveal a weakness in him and an assumption that Davos was the true ruler of the North.

"I don't care for power." Jon finally said. "Everything I've done is to ensure a better future for all. The only reason I accepted the title of King of the North is because people wanted it. If you will help me fight the dead without me bending the knee or accepting a marriage proposal, then the North will remain independent."

Even as I wanted to be angry at him, I was more than a little impressed. He had such strength in his convictions even while facing what he must assume was a monster. Jon was more progressive than some in the North but he must still see my House as monsters. The North remembers and would never forget what my House had done.

There was not much I could do if he continued to refuse either option I had presented him with. I needed to convince him I was different and that wouldn't be accomplished if I did the same thing as rulers past. The North was important but so was his respect. If he married me then I would be reassured that I was a good person. That I had not become a villain.

"I commend you for your honor." I said. "It's not a trait often found. I hope to keep such honor in mind when I rule the Iron Throne. But as you have such loyalty to your people, you must have considered how the North will think of control of the Iron Throne. The North will be able to control how Westeros is run and that will ease their ire at any deal you make with me."

Jon turned to Davos and the pair shared a look. During all of this I had forgotten the direwolf. He was looking at me and seemed at peace. With no warning he walked calmly up to me. I looked over to a Dothraki who appeared ready to attack if the creature showed an intent to harm.

"Ghost." Jon hissed.

I held out a hand more calmly than I felt. He sniffed it and then walked back to the bastard. Something important had happened but I didn't know what. Hopefully Ghost had convinced the king to marry me. Or, at least, bend the knee.

"I am willing to prove myself to you, Jon." I said once Ghost had returned to the bastard's side. "I know the North must hold no love for me and you took a great risk coming here."

"I was willing to die because I don't think you're the Mad Queen." Jon replied. "I don't think you would ever kill me after inviting me to Dragonstone."

"Will you now trust me enough to prove myself?"

"Your marriage proposal is sound but I need time to think on it."

I wanted to let out a loud sigh of relief but held myself back. The embarrassment of being known as barren had won me an ally. Jon was looking at Ghost which meant the direwolf must have made a favorable decision about me. Jon had been honest with me near the end which must mean he trusted me. If he trusted me then he would marry me.

I would just have to continue to prove myself to him.

"I have one request of you." Jon said.

"You may ask." I replied.

"The material to defeat the dead, dragonglass, is underneath this island. I need to mine it so that I can stop the dead if they ever cross the Wall."

It was a strange request. It wasn't every day that someone asked to defeat the dead. It was even rarer for the material to defeat a great foe to be on land that you owned. The rarest thing of all, though, was the fact that I needed to do anything in my power to secure a marriage with the man requesting help to fight the dead.

Though it wasn't the only rare sight I had ever experienced.

"I will be happy to aid you in mining dragonglass." I said and managed to hold back asking him if he would accept my marriage request.

No comments:

Post a Comment