Friday, February 25, 2022

Lynesse Chapter 20: The Breaking

This is a Game of Thrones fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.

The Chamber of the Painted Table always had an uneasy air to it. This was the room where fates were decided. There was a history to this place, to all of Dragonstone, that seemed daunting at times. Usually the uneasy air made me feel young again and gave more purpose to my life. Especially when I stood behind Daenerys who seemed to be the rightful ruler of the Iron Throne.

But now things were different. Missandei had been savagely murdered and the Northern soldiers had suffered a kinder fate. Everyone in the room was tense as memories of the Mad King were going through our minds. Except for Daenerys who saw nothing politically wrong with what she had done. She might not even care about politics now.

Jon Stark hid his true feelings under a mask of unease. Hopefully he had faith that Daenerys would not use dragons as a common execution method. Avenging Missandei could be justified, but not every execution could be done by flames. Not unless she wanted to continually remind people of her father.

Ser Jaime Lannister had barely controlled rage beneath his eyes. He had killed Daenerys' father and now he must be reminded of the past. Aerys hadn't been killed in a fair battle but by being stabbed in the back by a man he was supposed to trust. I would have to keep an eye on him and stop Daenerys from executing him at the moment. He hadn't done anything yet and might not be a problem for her reign.

"Missandei's killers deserved worse." Yara Greyjoy said, her face still bruised from what Euron had done to her. "If I had arrived in time, I wouldn't have waited for dragons to get them."

"Burning her killers alive was justified." Jaime replied, his voice much calmer than his eyes. "My concern is that using dragons will become the main form of execution. King Aerys used fire to kill those he saw as enemies. Not all of us have forgotten his terrifying reign."

"Are you planning to stab your queen in the back?"

"No, but I am concerned about what my queen will do next."

I was concerned but stating my opinions would be wrong at this time. If my men saw their rulers as divided they would dig into us like starving animals. Even if I wanted to overthrow Daenerys, now wouldn't be the time to show my true thoughts. Any smart player of the game of thrones would be hiding their true intentions. Which meant the majority of my thoughts were concerned with trying to see under everyone's masks.

"I see nothing wrong with burning those who wronged me alive." Daenerys replied with a dangerous edge to her voice. "Or am I to allow traitors to walk free? Is that justice?"

Why had she done that? It would be easier to defend her stance if she wasn't so blatant. I couldn't be the only one that heard the hunger in her voice. She had spent so many years being the pawn of others that the temptation of power was letting her darker side out. There was a kind heart that would see burning all of her enemies alive as going too far. Missandei's killers suffered what could be seen as justice. But what petty crimes would she burn people alive for in the future?

The hunger for violence could take over in this land that was not home for her. Why hadn't she stayed in Essos? That was her home.

"I think your men just want to be assured that those who commit petty crimes or mistakes are not classified as traitors." I replied gently. "They are afraid that you'll start seeing traitors in shadows."

"I am not going to massacre innocents." Daenerys said. "My hatred is directed only at those who wish to undermine me. Raping, torturing, and murdering one close to me is undermining me. Jorah, do you not think what I did was justified?"

"I think those animals deserved much worse than you gave them. But you need to solidify your rule and the Westerosi people remember all too well what your father did. What happened on the beach last night will be easily twisted to show you as your father's daughter. Who will follow you then?"

It felt as though my heart stopped beating. Could she see the doubts in me? Would the others also see that their king was just as uncertain as they were? Or did I show my commitment to my queen and my words only seemed like advice?

"If not burning, how should I execute traitors?" Daenerys asked as a stillness came over the room.

"Torture and humiliation for lesser crimes." I replied. "For those that deserve death, you need to be more traditional. Beheading and hanging traitors would rally the Westerosi people to your side."

We all waited patiently to what our queen would say. Daenerys had it in her blood to be a great ruler that would be worshiped long after she was dead. She only needed guidance to realize her true potential. As long as she had competent advisors by her side, no enemy could stand against her.

"Your Grace," Tyrion began. "You have come to Westeros and used your dragons. Not only in battle but executions."

"What is your point?" Daenerys asked.

"The people you wish to rule need to be reassured that they won't be burned alive. They need to be reassured that you won't continue your father's wicked reign."

Tyrion was a fool but brave. There was not a shred of fear on his face, just the conviction that he was in the right. Part of that could be the wine he had most likely consumed before the meeting. He might have even drank himself into a stupor during the night. Or maybe I was thinking the worst of him and he really did have that courage in him.

Yara looked like she was about to speak but was quieted when Daenerys raised a finger.

"I understand that my subjects are worried about me." Daenerys said. "They have been told lies about me and my family. But that doesn't mean I should change to suit them. I am here to break the wheel. I am here to end the cycle of Houses fighting for the throne. They will be made to see my ways as just."

A queen needed to be politically savvy. Any ruler needed to look for battles not only on the field but in rooms like this. Fights could break out with no blood being spilt. This meeting was a battle and she could very well lose everything now. The wrong words could lose her alliance with the North as Jon didn't seem open to her point of view.

"So you want to continue to burn people alive?" Jaime nearly shouted.

"I am not my father." Daenerys said. "I do not see enemies in shadows. My mind is clear. Those who would kill my allies and men deserve to be burned alive by my dragons. Why should I resort to swords and ropes when I have dragons? Should I not use my dragons because the Westerosi are scared of them?"

Was I the only one to hear darkness in her voice? One part of her voice was that of a ruler. Someone who had to be cruel because the world wasn't kind and didn't pretend otherwise. Those who smiled at you could be your greatest enemy. Yet another part off her voice reminded me of Drogon. She was a dragon and wanted nothing more than to burn the ground beneath her feet. In Essos that would be a strength, but in Westeros it was a weakness.

"Do you not care about the common folk?" Jaime asked. "Do you want them to live in fear their entire lives? Should they have to worry that a dragon could destroy their towns? I thought that you were a just ruler."

"You need to watch your words, knight." I warned him. "You have never sat on a throne, you do not know of what you speak."

"Now you care about the common folk, Lannister?" Daenerys asked coldly.

Jaime looked more frightened than when he had been fighting the dead. What great shame was he hiding? Or was it something that would turn Daenerys' wrath from him? If that was the case he needed to tell the truth and be able to escape in the night.

"I didn't kill your father out of malice." Jaime replied. "He was about to burn King's Landing to the ground with dragonfire in the hopes of becoming a dragon himself. I killed your father and tarnished my honor to keep the common folk alive. They didn't deserve that fate. No one should be allowed to destroy King's Landing and claim to be its rightful ruler."

The slight change in Daenerys' stance was glaringly obvious to me. We had been through too much together for it to be hidden. Would Jaime's words be the difference between life and death for him? Would she believe him after the shock wore off? The honest way he delivered the revelation couldn't be faked. He had killed the Mad King not out of hatred, but devotion to the common folk. He was not a sinless man, but there was goodness in him.

"And I'm supposed to believe you?" Daenerys asked.

"There's no reason he would lie." Jon retorted.

"Why reveal this truth now? Why live so many years with a different story told?"

"Because he doesn't want to die." I replied. "Or he doesn't think you will show mercy to him and thinks his time is limited."

"Why would he think I want him executed?"

"Your Grace, your method of execution reminds him of the reign he ended. Though he has nothing to fear, he remembers your father much too well."

Daenerys turned to look at me. She turned too fast and the expression on her face was too blatant. It was clear to me and everyone else that she was shocked. It was clear she hadn't made the connection until I spoke up. She hadn't wanted to make the connection as it would mean she was traveling a darker path than intended. Or maybe she was always on a dark path and my love had blinded me to the truth.

Though my face didn't show it, I feared the effects of her quick turn to look at me. It could mean that her men would come to me if they wanted a lesser sentence. But I wanted nothing more than to help my love. Jon's brief glance at me showed that the fear was not unwarranted.

"I did not mean to doubt you, Ser Jaime." Daenerys said once she turned to face the others once again.

"I understand your doubts, Your Grace." Jaime replied and I couldn't tell if he was lying.

"Why are we listening to this tyrant?" Varys shouted and we all turned to him.

There was a brief moment where he appeared shocked and then the moment was gone. Again the facade of someone in control of himself covered him. Somehow he made his outburst appear to all be part of his plan. Maybe, in his mind, it was as he didn't see a way to overthrow Daenerys in the future. Or maybe he had allowed his emotions to control him.

"Daenerys Targaryen is turning into her father." Varys replied calmly. "She feels nothing when burning men alive. No, she does feel something. She feels joy like regular men do while *******. I never should have supported someone who would become a tyrant. I made a mistake. Little did I know then that there was a man more worthy of the throne and with a greater claim: Jaehaerys Targaryen."

With the briefest of glances, the eunuch looked at Jon Stark. The anger coming off of Daenerys made me certain that this was the last thing Varys would be allowed to say. Becoming food and ashes for her children would be his end.

"Jaehaerys should take the throne, not this mad woman." Varys said. "You all have your doubts that are warning you of what will happen."

There was silence broken only by the waves crashing onto the cliffs. Why had he revealed Jon's true heritage now? He was a clever man that could sway a king's mind his way. There was nothing to gain by speaking out now. There were no minds to be changed to his way of thinking. Then there was the fact if people wanted to do as he said they were too afraid to. No one wanted to face being burned alive.

Maybe they would if they thought there was a chance someone close to Daenerys would take care of the problem. But I would never betray my queen.

"And why should anyone trust you, Varys?" I asked.

"You supported my brother's claim to the throne even though he was a monster." Daenerys continued. "You only cared that he carried Targaryen blood. Now that you don't think you can control me, you find another's claim to the throne to support."

"But it's true?" Jaime asked.

"Yes, he is Jaehaerys son of Rhaegar Targaryen. But he was raised as both a bastard and a Stark." I replied. "Daenerys was raised a Targaryen."

Not that Targaryen blood meant anything as a claim to the Iron Throne. House Baratheon had claimed the throne through conquest. Now Daenerys would have to win the throne in the same manner. While Jon had many strengths, conquering was not one of them.

"Guards!" Daenerys yelled out and three Dothraki entered the room. "This man is a traitor and will feed my children."

Varys, retaining an air of dignity, did not struggle or cry out as the men grabbed him. The hate in their eyes indicated they wanted to do nothing more than kill him slowly or quickly. Whichever way their urges took them. But they would not disrespect their khaleesi in such a manner.

"Everyone shall follow the traitor to the beach." Daenerys said coldly. "My children will know to come. I will join you shortly."

Those present for the meeting stood up and followed our queen's orders. Everyone, that was, except for Jon. He was silent as everyone else left the room so we wouldn't be overheard. Daenerys had been expecting this as she seemed almost eager for all of us to be alone.

"Why aren't you going to the beach?" Daenerys asked.

"You know why I'm not ******* going." Jon replied and slammed his fists into the table. "You're a ******* monster."

"For executing your soldiers?"

"I agree that they deserved to die. I've executed a child because he...he attempted to kill me. When lines are crossed, you're justified in killing."

"So why can you murder a child and I can't execute rapists?"

"You had men burned and then eaten alive. That's the difference. I personally hung the child while you allowed another to execute the rapists. If men give orders then they need to enact those orders. Or else it's all too easy to not understand the scope of your actions."

Jon did not look pleased to be creating such a rift between himself and Daenerys. It must be why Ghost found a reason not to be here today. He was a brave creature, but he had his limits. The declaration that would be made now wasn't an easy thing to take.

"You've shown that you will continue burning men alive." Jon said. "I don't think you do it for justice, you enjoy it. You could have been a great ruler but madness has taken over. I won't stand by your side as you destroy my home."

"Are you going to kill me?" Daenerys asked and I made a show of gripping Heartsbane.

"No, not now." Jon replied. "I'm not going to sacrifice my men to you. Those loyal to you would slaughter all of us."

"If you leave now you will be forfeiting our alliance. After I sit on the Iron Throne I will return to Winterfell. The castle will be less than ashes once I'm done with it. That is something I should've done before."

"I'm not going to waste my time trying to redeem you."

"I don't need redemption. If not for Sansa, then our alliance would still stand strong."

Instead of arguing with her, Jon left. Since I was loyal to Daenerys and he stood against her, my blade would have to be raised against him. If I cried now then my love would misinterpret it. She would think my admiration of Jon meant I would turn on her. But the truth was she could burn Westeros to the ground and I wouldn't stop loving her.

After Jon was gone, Daenerys stood up and looked at me. In her eyes there was a human. A human who could laugh and love. A human that could feel pain, regret, and guilt. There was something in her eyes worth fighting and dying for. In her eyes was a pleading for me to never leave her side.

"Let's go to the beach, khaleesi." I said and she nodded.

We walked to the beach in silence. Every moment with her was to be treasured and I made sure they wouldn't be forgotten. The sound of her children filled the air and I wondered when Jon would leave. He should go now, though I knew preparations would take time. He couldn't just leave and expect to survive the journey. And without Rhaegal Winterfell would be defenseless.

Varys' execution was as graphic as the previous night's. There was a speech from Daenerys and then her children burned the man alive. Though maybe he was conscious enough as Drogon and Rhaegal fought for his body.

The man had crossed a line that called for his execution, but this was too much. Missandei's rapists, torturers, and murderers deserved this fate but not Varys. Hanging or beheading fit the crime more than this.

And this was what the love of my life wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment