Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Pull of Fate Chapter 15: An Offering

This is a Game of Thrones/Resident Evil fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE
.

Rin

I heard a few beings come close to the clearing, though they tried to stay hidden behind the boulders. One Nieth had his arm barely sticking out of the camouflage of a boulder. Like the rest of his species his arm was both green and reptilian, almost like the wyverns on the continent. Unlike the majority of his brethren, though, his arms showed scarring from acid. Which meant he was either a wyvern caretaker or a wyvern rider in training.

I didn't bother looking up as the two wyverns landed and their riders dismounted. But I did focus on their breathing and how it quickened once they approached me. Due to my species looking so similar to a human meant people could easily get confused. And a society that was against humans would be more than likely to treat that confusion with violence.

"My name is Rin." I said calmly and quickly undid the sheets holding R'hllor. "I am a Kaari, not human. My kind was descended from dragons."

"That doesn't matter." The older of the pair, or at least the one that looked older, said. "What matters is that you have dared set foot on Sothoryos and that you have brought us the rogue. At least you have told us that is R'hllor."
The two riders stood beside me and their wyverns looked at the corpse. While physically blind they could still see if they were connected to a wyvern. Once their wyverns had spent some time observing the corpse, the riders felt the corpse to confirm it wasn't a fake. With the reward for killing R'hllor, they were probably concerned about a human fooling them and claiming the eternal dedication of the Nieth. Which wasn't something the species would gleefully agree to.

"You didn't lie, this is R'hllor." The older one said once the pair stood up. "So how did you come to kill him?"

"I came from Westeros, just not the one that exists in this reality." I replied. "In my home reality I eventually found out what R'hllor actually was and killed him to ensure the Nieth's loyalty in a war that was being fought. Much later I started traveling to different realities with my husband, Jorah Kaari, and killing R'hllor in every one that he existed."

"And what is a Kaari? Is it a creature that only exists in the reality you came from?"

Of course the Nieth would not know about the Kaari. Anything that happened in Westeros and Essos did not matter to them. If humanity were to die they would not care. The only reason the prophesied destruction that R'hllor would bring concerned them was that he had been destined to one day return to Sothoryos.

"One day the Last Dragon laid an egg that hatched a human-like being." I explained. "That was the first Kaari. My ancestors only established a House due to it being the best way to combat House Targaryen. During the Doom of Valyria a majority of my ancestors managed to flee to Westeros but were then quickly hunted by House Targaryen. To ensure a future, some Kaari sacrificed themselves to convince our enemies that we were dead. I'm the last Kaari with the right blood to continue the line."

With how House Targaryen had slaughtered my ancestors, it was no wonder that Alexander's hatred of them had become so great. There was also the fact that it was him who had started the cycle of revenge against the other Dragonlord House. He had once been a grand creature and was now restrained to a sword.

"Where did you find R'hllor?" The younger looking rider asked.

"On the outskirts of Asshai in Essos." I replied. "He was controlling a religious sect so he could better watch out for those who could kill him."

"Where is Azor Ahai, Lightbringer?"

"Jorah is at Storm's End in Westeros. He is waiting for my return."

"And what is your plan once you go back to him?"

"We are debating the right course of action currently. We left our home reality to retire to a more peaceful existence. There are reasons to stay in this reality for quite some time but there are also reasons to leave."

"And what are the reasons?"

Sarisa Targaryen. A descendant of the House that murdered mine. But, more importantly, she was the daughter of Jon Stark. She was the child of a man that I owed a debt to. At least that is how I felt. Jorah also had loved another Jon Stark and had felt rage upon his murder. We both had reasons to stay if we were stupid enough to do so.

"I owe a debt to a man and want to ensure his daughter's safety." I replied. "At least for some time. It isn't until I return to Storm's End that we will make our final decision on the matter."

"And would you want us to watch over her no matter if you decide to go or stay?" The older one asked.

"No, I don't want Nieth involvement as her future is uncertain. The possibility of her becoming a cruel tyrant is just as likely as a kind ruler."
The older one let out a nearly silent sigh. It would not be an easy task to get Nieth to protect a human even if the order came from Lightbringer. The society in Sothoryos greatly favored the Nieth over humans. Most humans were slaves with little to no freedom. The only exception were the wyvern riders. But even human riders were looked down on compared to their Nieth counterparts.

"And what help of ours will you need?" The older one asked.

"If we stay and Westeros is in danger, I will call on you." I reassured the two riders. "Until such a time, all I wanted was to rid the world of a great danger."

"Why did you have to kill R'hllor instead of your counterpart in this world?"

"She must have been killed. In my home reality my life had been full of many dangers and I managed to fool death numerous times. She didn't."

"We are extremely grateful that you have done this kindness for us. We believe you but our king will make the final decision."

Of course someone of higher power than two human riders would have to confirm I had indeed killed R'hllor. Which meant the story I had told the two humans would have to be repeated to the Nieth. Sometimes Sothoryos was made up of one kingdom and sometimes many. In some realities humans were fighting for freedom by the time I had arrived and sometimes they had been exterminated. Minus the half-breeds and humans that were riders. Would I again meet Chl'lor or would a strange face greet me?

As the two riders picked up R'hllor's corpse, their wyverns flew away. The relationship between wyvern and rider was extremely mysterious as they seemed to share souls. While their minds were always connected to each other, sometimes the wyverns were given time to live their own lives. The joy with which they took to the sky confirmed that the riders didn't need them for the moment. The riders had their training and the crowd that had been gathering around us to keep order.

"Go in front of us so that we can keep our eyes on you." The younger one said with a smirk.

I did as the rider commanded. As we started our walk there were murmurs of 'Lightbringer'. The crowd had believed my story and were waiting to see what decision the king would make. There was a helplessness that the humans wore and I knew their wish. They wanted me to be their savior but that wasn't my role. There had been realities where humans had managed to carve a place of equality which meant I wasn't needed. I couldn't save everyone no matter how much I yearned to do so. I was sure some of the humans looking at me now could one day overthrow the harsh rule of the Nieth if they so chose.

Sothoryos was like I remembered. While there was enough magic for even one rider to make cities like the Nightmare had, the place remained close to the wild. The buildings were extremely similar to those in Westeros while on the edges of paths were signs of the jungle that spanned the entire continent. Even if I hadn't known where I was going, the crowd followed me to the point I could tell which way to go by them.

I didn't have to look up to recognize the sound of wyvern wings, a sound so like that of a dragon. Some belonged to riders and others were wild. There was hardly any differences between them so I couldn't tell which were which. Me and the two riders stopped suddenly as a few wyvern hatchlings ran across the ground shouting to the sky. A small group of riders raced after them and I realized their excitement had been reflected in their future mounts.

As we resumed our walk the scent of cooked meat hit my nose. Every aroma, no matter how faint or potent, had a story to tell. To me all of my senses were always on high alert to tell me the story of the world I was in. This particular piece of cooked meat had been from fresh kill. The fact it was not raw made me want it less. There was something about hunting that was so pure and brought to me memories of a simpler time. The person I had been back then would not understand my current mission. Back in the days when snow littered the ground like the foliage did in Sothoryos. The humidity would have frightened me back when a mere pup, but now it was pleasant. My ears picked up the sounds of Nieth children running around. They must have been playing a game as there were shouts of laughter from them.

A Nieth woman looked at me and glared. I hadn't expected all of the Nieth to adore me, just that they would send help if I ever called. Some would, of course, see me as a mere human with no worth except one good deed I had done. The society on this continent was hard to change though it wasn't impossible to do so. Essos and Westeros both made changes much quicker than Sothoryos.

Finally I was lead to the mouth of a giant cave. Wyverns were resting outside of the entrance. As it was still daylight, most were sleeping and allowing the sun to warm their bodies. A few did look at me but then quickly turned away. I wasn't important in their minds and we entered the cave without incident.

As the sun failed to illuminate where myself and the riders were walking, crystals in the walls illuminated the area around us. The crystals varied from blue to green so that it felt we were still outside. As we went even deeper into the cave we started walking downward. While life above ground was preferred, the true wonders of the Nieth were down here so as to better hide from the rare outsider who tried to explore the continent.

Soon enough the tight space opened up to a huge cavern that appeared large enough to fit the entire North. The only reason I knew that the crystal ceiling and walls ended were that we were too far underground for that not to be the case. Plus while the scents were meant to imitate the land above, they did not fully hide the fact where we were.
As we entered the large space that fit both cities and countrysides, I admired the different architecture. It was a mixture of Westeros and Nightmare styles. As we walked in the capitol city and got closer to where the king was there were large golden statues of former kings and queens. The largest statue was in front of the throne room building and showed a wyvern with a Nieth rider on it.

After a moment of waiting a Nieth in an orange and black tunic came out. Unlike a rider, he was not blind and the feelers on the side of his face hadn't been removed. His eyes had the same shape as a human's but were compound. It was as if the species were both reptile and insect at once.

"And where did you find this thing?" The Nieth asked, his tail slashing the air in anger.

"Her name is Rin Kaari." The younger looking rider said. "She has killed R'hllor and brought his corpse to us."

The Nieth glared at me and then looked at the corpse. Even though his every breath indicated he wanted to be done with me, he lead us into the throne room. The building was circular and the throne had no back to it so as the king's tail had room to hang out the back. And the king was someone familiar to me from the first time I had met the Nieth.

"King Chl'lor." I said with a slight bow, his sightless eyes seeming to look right into mine.

"And is there a reason you consider yourself more important than a rider?" Chl'lor asked sternly.

"I did not mean to be disrespectful."

"And yet you were. What business does this creature have for being here?"

"Rin Kaari killed R'hllor and brought us his corpse." The younger rider said and the two riders placed the corpse in front of their king.

The loud beating of wings of a wyvern could be hear. Most likely Chl'lor's mount. In this reality he was the king and not just another Nieth. Of the many people I knew, he was one of the few that deserved the honor. So I didn't mind repeating my story to him. Nor did I mind adding more details so he would better understand me.

"And this is true, riders?" Chl'lor asked.

"It is." They replied.

"I will need the corpse verified by more respectable eyes."

The King waved and three Nieth were kneeling by R'hllor. The creatures' feelers moved frantically as they looked calmly at the corpse before them. There were arguments about the truth of the demented Nieth for a few hours. During that time I had to remain calm as the peace with Sothoryos dangled in the balance. I was sure I could escape back to Westeros, but if that happened then my mission would have been wasted.

"We have come to a decision." A Nieth said as the three knelt in front of their King.

"And what is that?" Chl'lor asked.

"We have decided, King Chl'lor, that this Kaari is telling the truth. The corpse in this throne room is that of R'hllor. She has done us a great service."

"And it would only be right to reward her."

Chl'lor stood up and the three Nieth parted so that he could walk to me. In every reality he was slightly different. The differences could be the way he talked, walked, or his position in Nieth society. But always he was the one I talked to to confirm that the Nieth were indebted to me. I wanted to speak to him as a friend, but he had only just met me.

"As you know, Rin, there was a prophecy that R'hllor would have eventually brought destruction to Sothoryos." Chl'lor loudly declared. "The ashes of Westeros and Essos would have meant we couldn't even call on humans to help us. Our way of life would have crumbled and the entire world would be nothing but ruins. With the death of R'hllor, this prophecy has ceased to exist."

Every Nieth, human, and rider in the room started to shout at the top of their lungs. The feelers on the Nieth moved wildly in joy. To these people I had saved them from utter destruction. Those who weren't riders might have died long before R'hllor died and yet they cared for those that would come after. Some of the human slaves dreamed of the Nieth's utter destruction and didn't care if the entire world died in the process so they were shouting to release all their anger. Or at least that is how it appeared to me.

"There is not one gift that will suffice as payment." Chl'lor said once the shouting stopped. "As such, the payment you will receive is the ability to call upon my people whenever you wish. We will fight your wars or enforce your peace. Just ask and we will answer."

It felt like a burden had been put on my shoulders yet again. While the power of Sothoryos would be behind me, I couldn't ask for anything that would make the Nieth displeased with me. While they would be honor bond to answer my calls, they would not do so willingly. Having a force behind you that worshiped you was much different than a force that cursed your name.
"I will not forget your promise, King Chl'lor." I replied. "I promise that none of what I ask of you will go against your beliefs. And, if I do ask you to change yourselves for a short time, it will not be forever. There might be a great war in Westeros and I want you by my side as we will lose without you."

"You have my thanks and the thanks of my people." Chl'lor said. "And what will our enemies look like in the war in Westeros?"

"I am not sure. I just arrived here and don't yet know of all the players this time around."

Chl'lor looked proud and grinned at me. He most likely liked being reminded that killing R'hllor had been one of the first things I'd done when entering this reality. I hadn't waited until a war started to break out and only then kill the renegade Ghost. My actions showed caring and respect that would help me in the future with the Nieth. Maybe he thought I had only killed R'hllor so quickly to gain his favor, in any case he considered me to be an ally.

No comments:

Post a Comment