Thursday, June 6, 2019

I Have a Mouth and I Can’t Scream Chapter 4: A Plan for Revenge

This is a Flight Rising fanfiction. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This fic was originally published HERE.

A day later and my rage was back. Everything irritated me. I wanted to attack the sun but Vergere stopped me before I could make an attempt to do so. The grass fluttering in the wind made me ready for battle but Jorah knocked me out. I was told to meditate and it barely calmed me down. With this mindset I went to meet with Seitou.

There was a boulder half the size of an Imperial in the center of the clan. Names had been etched into it and I wondered if all were still members of the clan. Or maybe some had been lost to war and other ravages of time. I spread my wings and flew to the top.

A Wildclaw covered with bloody bandages, bird skull headdress, and a crown of bones was there. He had rusty red scales and black wings. The power he exuded was that of a leader and there was no doubt this was Seitou. Beside the leader was a Nocturne who wore orange armor that blended into her body. This must be Kaliforna. Both would make formidable opponents and I wanted to attack them. But I restrained myself since they could prove valuable allies in killing the demons that had destroyed my clan.

"Kali." Seitou said and I bowed to him.

Just as I was about to speak, two dragons landed beside me. The first was Scourge who didn't reveal any of her inner thoughts. Jorah was one of her husbands and even his scowl didn't match hers. The second dragon was Nazilla, the half-robotic Imperial who was the personal guard of Seitou and Kaliforna. Due to her large size, her tail went over the edge of the rock.

"I am in need of your help." I said and tried to keep the annoyance out of my voice. "There is a threat to Sornieth and I can't fight the battles alone."

"We are here to discuss if there is a problem." Seitou replied. "My clan fights not for Sornieth, but for the Shadowbinder. It is her we seek to bring honor to. The only territories we can claim are those under her control. To break beyond her borders must be because of a great need, not because of a horror done to one clan."
"Seitou does not mean to demean your struggles." Kaliforna said in a kinder voice than her husband's. "But you must understand if we end up not being able to help you."

"I've known dragons of different Flights to cross borders." I hissed. "You can't tell me that isn't possible."

"Each time we fight, there is a reason we do so." Seitou replied. "We only cross the border when doing so protects ourselves. Once the battle is over, we return to our side. There is order in this world that must be followed."

"Without order there would be chaos." Kaliforna finished. "Scourge has assured us that you will tell the truth. Do not be afraid."

Even though the Nocturne had the more pleasing demeanor, I could tell there was a warrior underneath. Someone that could easily kill me if the need called for it. She would not be so close to the leader's side if she were weak. There were not many in this clan, but everyone was strong. It did not seem like Seitou allowed weakness in his people.

"The demon that controlled me was called Tarik." I started with a growl. "I was very young when the demons first came to the Ruby Eyes Clan. There was not much time for me to form memories of a life with freedom."

"Which is why you have so little control." Scourge said with a slight nod of her head.

Nazilla's silence was odd though it shouldn't have surprised me. She was a guard, not an actual member of the inner circle. Her large body was impressive as well as the pieces of metal that could be seen. I didn't want to know her history as she seemed more broken than myself. Yes, that was it. There existed someone more broken than I could ever be.

"I guess so." I replied dismissively. "Everyone in the clan had their own demon. Their own thing that controlled all their movements. Tarik was not of high rank as there was much information he didn't know. Or else it appeared so to me."

Yes, the monster that had ruined my life was actually weak. What a pleasant truth. But was it too pleasant? Was I fooling myself so I'd be calmer? So I wouldn't attack the prey around me? Did it matter?

"Are you sure about Tarik's rank?" Kaliforna asked.

"No, I am not." I had to force out my reply. "But there were remarks here and there that showed he wouldn't be missed. I assume those of a high rank would be in charge of expanding their invasion or would be on the front lines of invading other clans. Yet he was in me and he did no great things."

Seitou was the clan leader. Kaliforna was his wife. Nazilla was their personal guard. Scourge was a friend. I repeated these simple facts in my head as Vergere had instructed me to. Like she had told me, this did help to keep myself focused.

"Due to the acidic rain, I was able to free myself from Tarik's control." I continued after Seitou gave me a signal to do so. "I was finally free to do what I pleased. I didn't understand about having to control myself and so I killed everyone."

"Did you hate your clanmates?" Seitou asked.

"No, I merely wanted to hunt. After I regained control I realized what had happened. Eventually I ran into Scourge and now I'm here. I need your help to get justice for my clan."

Seitou and Kaliforna leaned close to talk privately to each other. I didn't know where to look as no hunting could be done at the moment. If I attacked any of the dragons, the others would quickly become my foes. I had faced off against Scourge before and had failed. If I angered her now then I wouldn't need to worry about the demons any longer.

"It is strange to see someone so concerned about her clan's fate, not feel any regret at killing them." Kaliforna said. "There must be some feeling of loss that overwhelms you."

"There isn't." I replied. "I don't feel those emotions anymore. I mainly feel a need to hunt and attack."

"And are you feeling those emotions now?"

"Yes, but I have them under control."

There was doubt in the Nocturne's eyes. In truth I couldn't even reassure myself about my control. In my recent past there were too many moments when my impulses had ruled me. Yet while there was shame there was no regret. Or was I confusing the two emotions as being different from each other? The demons would pay for what they had done to my mind!

To distract myself from my fears, I looked at Seitou. Even as a Wildclaw he had the presence of a Guardian. It was as if I were looking at a dragon that was much larger than the one right in front of me. He would make a good enemy.

"The clan cannot have a dragon who is unable to control themselves." Seitou said with a slight nod of his head. "If you can control yourself, though, you'll make a fine warrior."

"Kali needs a department that will hone her skills." Scourge retorted. "But that is not the main reason for the meeting."

"You are right, Scourge."

Had my existence caused the leader such great stress that he would rather think of another task? His tail twitched and I could see him controlling his breathing. He had just given me enough of an opening to attack. Yet he would let me get vengeance.

"Is it possible for the demons to reach outside of the Plaguebringer's territory?" Seitou asked.

"That is what they do." I replied with a low growl. "They take and take and take until everyone is an empty shell. Until those who can escape become like me."

"I would never become like you!" Nazilla exclaimed.
"You're saying that while having your mind be your own. You're saying that while having the possibility of a demon entering your mind being a mere dream. Even less than a possibility."

I was wrong, though, as the way the Imperial glared at me showed that she was someone in great pain. She showed it in the same way I did. Her face kept her exact emotions a secret as though they didn't exist. It was strange seeing my reflection in her eyes and I wanted to take back my words.

Kaliforna and Seitou both gave Nazilla a momentary glance. It must have been a reprimand as she now had the same stoic expression as before. I didn't want to know the history behind someone as broken as me. If she had managed to overcome her own pains then it must mean that there was hope for me. I could be rebuilt in a sense.

"If they can cross territories, then they are a problem." Seitou mused. "Unless the Plaguebringer decides to help her children out."

"We are her children," I said. "But she will let us fight our own battles. If we rely on her for help then it will show we are weak."

"Either that or deities are too weak to fight this problem."

I wanted to cry blasphemy but in his own words he was mentioning the Shadowbinder's weakness. There was a truth to his words I didn't want to hear. If even deities could be defeated by the demons, how much hope was there for dragonkind?

"I don't think we should pay any mind to the demons." Nazilla said. "Not until they enter the Shadowbinder's territory."

"You are weak!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. "You are pathetic! You would allow your fear to make you falter?"

"I'm not afraid. I am just aware that this clan only has so many resources to spare for an outright war. If it were as simple as going to one location, I would be less hesitant. But these demons aren't just in one clan and might invade beyond the Plaguebringer's territories."

"And even if we sent out a cry for help, we won't know if the other clan is already infested." Kaliforna added. "Kali, what you are asking is for us to slowly figure out the current demon headquarters and attack it. For all we know the demons aren't centralized like dragons and so their center of operations isn't in one single location. You are asking us to abandon the health of our clan."

"If the demons go left unchecked, there will not be a clan." I growled. "You will all suffer the fate I did."

I couldn't believe the direction this meeting had taken. Scourge remained calm but that was normal for her. She was merely a dragon and yet she was always controlled. Always assured about herself. Unlike myself who was doing everything not to attack the dragons. If they didn't fight off the demons now, then the Sornieth they knew would be gone. Why couldn't they see that? Because they might have to become nomads? Because life would become harder for them?

Seitou looked at me and I managed not to attack him. In my mind the only hope was for the Wildclaw to disagree with everyone else. He had to see that leaving the demon threat unchecked meant destruction for all. Meant there would be no hope for the world. That freedom would become a thing of the past.

The leader took his time and paced around the top of the boulder. I started to breathe in and out to the rhythm of his movements so my mind remained calmed. Sometimes he would swing his tail back and forth as if there was a blade at the end of it. He finally took his place next to Kaliforna. If he refused to help me seek vengeance I would attack him as I wouldn't allow myself to live in a world that was overcome by darkness.

"Kaliforna and Nazilla are correct that helping Kali will risk the safety of this clan." Seitou started. "No action that is taken is worth the possibility of harming those closest to us. But, at the same time, Kali is right that defeating the demons is important to keeping Sornieth free. If we ignore that threat for too long the Shadowbinder won't provide us safety. Nor should she."

"If the demons are a threat, the deities should take care of it." Nazilla argued. "We aren't the only ones in this war, nor should we be."

"We don't know if the deities have the power to stop these new enemies. While they are strong, they weren't able to eliminate the Shade completely. They do have their limits. We can't wait to find out if they are unable to kill the demons. I find the only compromise is to create an elite group set to find out more on this threat. If at all possible they will defeat the demons. The rest of the clan will help only if the demons are too great of a threat."

"Who will be on the team?" Scourge asked. "If I must, I will join in on your hunt. It will make me uncomfortable but that is a small price to pay."

I flapped my wings in excitement. Seitou wasn't going to abandon my need for vengeance. He would help me fight and spill the blood of my enemies. Even though Scourge was eager to join the team, I wasn't. My mind was still too broken to do something so tedious. But once the final battle was underway nothing could stop me. Fate would have to bow down to my will.

"Are you sure?" Seitou asked. "You like your freedom and there will be many months where you have to stay in clan territory."

"But there will be even more time when I'm in my element." Scourge insisted. "This darkness that threatens to overwhelm the land is something a coward would fly away from. My family will be in danger if the demon threat spreads. How can I let the ones I love die?"

"I will leave the decision to Elfangor. He has a sound mind in even the darkest of times. He has made our army one of the most feared even though it is small. He knows how to use any dragon and he will know who is best for the team."

Scourge nodded and I wondered why she didn't argue. Why she didn't demand that she be allowed to get the duty she wanted. Then I realized it was because she had much more control than myself. She had appraised the fight and found it better to wait. There was so much for me to learn with my freedom.

Since Seitou trusted Elfangor to lead his army and to put together a special team, the dragon must be one of great renown. With all the rage inside of me I hoped to be put under his guidance. My urge to spill blood would benefit from defending my new clan. That is if the leader still wanted me to join his clan.

"Will Elfangor lead the team?" Nazilla asked.

"No, he will only form it." Seitou said after a momentary pause. "It will be quite a task to lead both the army and the team. More of a task than anyone should have to deal with. He shouldn't be distracted with his duties of guarding this clan."

I worried that it would take Elfangor too long to make a team. Half of Sornieth could be controlled by demons before the team could make a move. I would not be taken by a demon ever again. I would not become a prisoner in my mind once more. Before a demon entered me I'd kill myself.

"What will you call this team?" Scourge asked.

"Dracomorphs." Seitou replied. "Alexander has made a breakthrough in morphing technology. By the time Elfangor assembles a team, the technology should be perfected."

"What use will it be for the Dracomorphs to disguise their appearances?"

"They will need to be where they're not supposed to be. They will need to go outside the Shadowbinder's territory. Taking on the appearance of a Light or Water dragon would be more than useful."
Wasn't that like what the demons did? They too took on the appearances of friends and family. They used those appearances to ensnare other victims into their vicious trap. Seitou was asking for the technology for him to do the same. That should have disturbed me but I couldn't be more happy about it. Those foul creatures would be destroyed by their own tricks. Their strengths would become their weaknesses.

"Kali, I will allow you to be sorted." Seitou said. "After this meeting you will go to Metis and she will figure out the best department for you. Once she has made her decision it will be up to the Department Heads to accept or reject you."

"What department do you think I'll be sorted into?"

"You have a need to kill which is too fierce for our warriors. You love the fight too much. Yet you wouldn't fit in with any department where you couldn't kill."

"So I'll never have the chance to defend this clan?"

"All of the clan knows how to fight. If the enemy is powerful enough, you will be called on to risk your life for your clan."

One day I would be in a battle where the scent of blood would fill the air. There would be screams and cries as the chaos enveloped us all. It would be a simple life if only for a few hours. In the meantime, though, as long as I could spill blood I would be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment