Sunday, November 13, 2022

Wakanda Forever (Mini-Review)

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is another entry in the ever growing Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and a sequel to Black Panther. T'Challa, ruler of Wakanda and Black Panther, dies of a mysterious illness which leaves Shuri reeling. A year after his death, Shuri is still having trouble accepting her brother's death. At the same time Namor seeks to wage war on those from the surface. It is up to Shuri to battle through her emotions to find a way to keep Namor from spilling the blood of those from the surface. Wakanda Forever was released in 2022. It was directed by Ryan Coogler. It stars Letitia Wright, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, and Winston Duke.

There is no post-credits scene but is a mid-credits scene. The scene twisted a knife in my heart when I thought there was no more pain to be felt. It answers the question of what Queen Ramonda was going to tell Shuri earlier in the film. It also raises a whole host of other questions. What Ramonda was going to tell Shuri earlier involved the stability of Wakanda so why weren't there rumors of it? Because more than one person would have to know which increases the likelihood of the truth coming out. Also what if the people don't like this direction for Wakanda?

This film really reminds you that Chadwick Boseman died. The start of Wakanda Forever focuses on the funeral of T'Challa. I liked this as it really helped me process my emotions of his passing. Though, since I was in a crowded theater, I held back all the tears I wanted to cry. Then the Marvel logo has no sound and shows clips of Boseman in his role of T'Challa. If you aren't bawling, or holding back tears, you have no soul and I envy you.

Before Shuri felt to me to be T'Challa's perfect successor as the Black Panther. She was charismatic and was connected to T'Challa through being his sister. She was also smart, cunning, and quick on her feet. But during the Covid-19 pandemic Letitia Wright (who plays Shuri) revealed herself to be an anti-vaxxer. This caused me to not want her to appear in any future MCU film. I was also hoping that Shuri would die in the movie as that would make me so happy. Alas Wright's character was one of those that couldn't die as it wasn't that type of film.

Namor was an interesting character. He rules a hidden kingdom that shares numerous similarities to Wakanda. His realm is also hidden and loathes outsiders as they were the causes for his ancestor's woes. He saw them with slaves and decided the world would be better off without them. I agree that the past is full of many sins, some that we haven't yet grown away from. So maybe he does have a point. Plus he is super hot so I would follow him in a heartbeat...don't judge me!

I would highly recommend Wakanda Forever to fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I would also highly recommend Wakanda Forever to fans of superhero films.

No comments:

Post a Comment