Thursday, June 10, 2021

Update: The Pull of Fate Chapter 17 has Been Written

I've finished writing the latest chapter of The Pull of Fate and will start editing tomorrow at the earliest. All depends on how well I'm doing.

Here's a small unedited excerpt of what to look forward to:

Rin

[I am close, my love.] I told Jorah.

If I had been in my human form, I could have smiled. As I was in my dragon form, I could not form such an expression on my face. That was a fair sacrifice to make to be able to fly. The sky felt more like home than land ever could. Up here in the night sky the world didn't look so troubled. All the pain that was mine to bear seemed like a dream. Here there was the lie that my life was not as hard as I imagined it to be.

[It will be good to leave this place for a more peaceful reality.] Jorah replied. [We have both earned rest for all we've done.]

It should have been easy to agree with him. It should have been easy to dismiss this world's problems. It should have been easy to realize my debts to Jon weren't the same as to the debts owned to this reality's Jon. Yet something made it feel dishonorable to leave this world in the state it was. It was the same odd feelings that had lead Jorah and myself to insert ourselves into different conflicts through the ages.

[I don't know if I can leave.] I said. [But I will if you can't stand being here any longer.]

[I just worry that we will make mistakes.] Jorah replied. [This world's Khaleesi is not our own. What if we judge her like the...the one who was willing to burn Bear Island because I sided with you?]

[Isn't it more likely we will see this Daenerys as a way for the other's crimes to be undone? Isn't it more likely we won't judge her for our queen's actions?]

The scent of Storm's End became stronger with each flap of my wings. The waves were faintly illuminated beneath me from the starlight. With the light and the scent of wood I could tell a ship was beneath me. The people onboard weren't thinking of the greater good, most likely, they were thinking about returning home. Or maybe of having a good meal. Or maybe of just being back on land. Throughout the limitless realities, some things stayed the same. Workers were workers no matter where or when they existed.

[Thank you.] Jorah said. [I could never have gone through with it.]

[Neither of us will have to contemplate it happening again.] I replied.

A shiver went down my spine as the memory came back to me. I didn't have to ask Jorah what he had meant as there was only one thing he could be talking about: I had taken on the task of killing Daenerys so her blood wouldn't have to be on his hands.

I had done many horrible things in my long life. It would be wonderful to believe that all of my actions had been done for the greater good, but that wasn't the case. And even though killing Daenerys had been necessary, it was hard to remind myself of that at times. Such as when all I had for company was Jorah's voice in my head and the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment