Sunday, January 12, 2020

Underwater (Mini-Review)

Underwater is about an earthquake devastating an underwater base and forcing the survivors to make an impossible escape. It was released in early January 2020. It stars Kristen Stewart, T.J. Miller, and Jessica Henwick. It was directed by William Eubank.

This film is extremely well paced. It balances fast paced action sequences with calm moments so that the audience can breathe. At no point in the film do you feel safe but, at the same time, your heart is allowed to calm down from time to time.

From the opening credits I had started to piece together a theory. As I didn't expect much from this movie, I thought it could come true. I was surprised but not disappointed about that.

There are strange creatures that are released after the earthquake that end up picking off the survivors. I do enjoy that their origins are kept a secret and no one spends too much time questioning what they really are. The first reason why I enjoy the secrecy is that the unknown is the best kind of terror. The second reason is that having a long exposition dump about the monsters would seem out of character for those that just want to come out of the situation alive.

I think seeing this film on the big screen or with all the lights off are the best ways to view it. A lot of the enjoyment of the film is the experience of it all and feeling like you, too, are trapped underwater.

I recommend Underwater to those seeking a good horror film and those who are afraid of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment