Thursday, October 10, 2024

When Darkness Comes Chapter 12: A New Heart Beats

This is a Skyrim/Alan Wake 2 fic. All rights belong to the copyright holders.

This chapter has been edited due to content. If you want to see the unedited version GO HERE.


"Lok Vah Koor!" I Shouted with even more strength into the blizzard.

The storm had been going on for hours and yet, even when Shouting, it refused to bend to my will. I had drunk an unseemly amount of Spiced Wine and even resorted to Skooma to try and feel warm. Eola wasn't as affected by the cold and Alex was enduring the weather better than I.

"We should camp for the night, Kys." Alex yelled.

"And lose time?" I asked. "To travel in Skyrim is to endure its tests."

"And die?"

"I've been through worse and survived. It is not ours to die this day."

Alex just nodded as he knew there was nothing to convince me otherwise. The only way to make me stop was for him to feign injury and he wouldn't put me through that. Ever since we had ******, our time had become even more precious. Each glance. Each word. Each touch.

"You just have to Shout louder." Eola teased and I rolled my eyes.

"Do you want me to lose the ability to speak?" I asked.

"I know your voice can become much louder. It did when you were ******* Alex. Namira, I have never heard you scream so loud and I've ****** you more times than there are stars in the sky."

"You do have a point, Eola."

We laughed but Alex didn't make a sound. I was sure, if the snow would have allowed me to see, Alex was holding back a blush.

"Could you have found a harder way to Winterhold?" Alex asked as a way to break the silence.

"The Champion knows much more of this land than most." Eola replied. "So if you want a harder way to the College, you merely have to ask."

"Lok Vah Koor!" I Shouted yet again and was finally rewarded with a lessening of the storm.

I looked at Alex and hated that we would have to part ways soon. Never again to see the other. It hurt me and I wondered if reality could bend to my will. I was the Last Dragonborn and should have more than enough power to ensure another meeting.

Or maybe I would need a Daedric Prince to help me. Alex was a good hunter as he would charge at any threat. Even if he didn't understand the threat he would fight it. Hircine would be proud to claim such a soul.

"Scouts-Many-Marshes' soul has been reclaimed by the Hist." I said and Alex looked confused. "Lucia and Blaise are now in Sovngarde. My own soul will go to the Hunting Grounds as I serve Hircine. Do you know where your soul goes after it dies?"

"I don't know." Alex replied after a moment. "Frankly, I don't care. Wh-"

Suddenly a very familiar dragon roared loudly. Odahviing roared again to alert us to danger. Eola quickly clutched her staff while Alex dismounted so he would be able to fight. I used Candlelight to make sure the dark entities couldn't get too close as I conjured a Bound Bow of Light.

As Alex's horse ran off, Eola and I positioned our mounts on either side of him. I looked through the storm to try and find what my friend had spotted.

"Vampires!" Eola shouted and pointed with her staff.

Five vampires. I had met and fought their kind over my many adventures. So I could easily tell how the Dark Presence had changed and enhanced them. It was hard but my mind was quickly cleared of anything but thoughts of Alex. I aimed for the one in the center and the moment my arrow was about to pierce its skin, it changed into a swarm of bats that flew towards me. The bats cried out in pain as they turned to smoke upon getting too close to my Candlelight.

"****" Alex yelled as his own arrow shot across a possessed vampire's shoulder.

Even though it wouldn't help, Odahviing used his Fire Breath in an attempt to slow the enemies down. All it did was cover the possessed in fire but didn't harm the abominations. It did make aiming easier though.

"Good shot, Alex!" Eola yelled out as Alex killed the vampire that had been about to dig his fangs into her.

"Have they all been hit?" I yelled out and looked at a vampire staggering like a drunk with an arrow sticking out of his skull.

Some of the vampires were killed instantly by the arrows while others were only slightly injured. They staggered more like zombies than the deadly devotees of Molag Bal. The Dark Presence must have its limits in this world.

"Yes!" Alex yelled out.

"Then run!" I replied in the same tone and pulled him up so he was in front of me.

As Eola and I pushed our horses to their limits, Odahviing used his Fire Breath. The cries of the damned joined the storm that became stronger. Only once my friend flew over me was I reassured that the threat was gone.

"We should make camp." I said as the horses slowed down to a peaceful trot.

"I thought we had a few hours." Alex replied.

"If you want to I will continue making haste to Winterhold."

I laughed as Alex muttered something under his breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment