Wednesday, September 22, 2021

The Cracklock Saga Book 1: Fae or Foe?

Paid Promotion
No one would want to kill a Faery, surely?

Jack Crackley wouldn't; he has no time for make-believe. No decent teenager does. There are plenty of other things to worry about; his mum, jobs, school, the local bullies, not to mention some weird disease that's affecting kids the world over.

However, things are never as they seem. Little eyes watch out for him whilst bigger ones seek him for their own ends. Jack will have to step up if both the Fae and our children are to stand a chance. And that's a tall order when you have no idea who you really are...

Talking With C A Deegan

What was the inspiration for writing Fae or Foe?

“The Cracklock Saga” series of books came about from reading some pretty awful fairy books to my daughter over the years – she’s in her teens now and has (with more than a little relief, I have to say!) left those behind. But I always wondered what would happen if someone didn’t like fairies, what they would do about it, and could anybody stop them? This idea grew, and the Cracklocks were born. I liked the idea of people who hated the Fae and everything they stood for. And who knew just how wicked those people were? I certainly didn’t until Anastasia and Agatha got their claws into me!

What was the writing process like for Fae or Foe?

The funniest thing. I’ve always read, and have been lucky enough to be selected to beta read for a few authors; going over their works before they publish as an extra set of eyes. That’s really what made me start to wonder if I could do it. Then, in early 2019 I met one of my favourite authors. It was something he said when I floated the idea of perhaps writing one myself. “If you don’t have a go, you’ll never know.” I’d had the idea for the Cracklocks in all but name for a number of years, so I dipped my toe in with a couple of shorts that were relatively well received.

It was in May 2019 that I started tentatively drafting the story arc. Then tried to write. It was like ‘the little engine who could’ to be honest. Took a while to get into the swing of it, but I am so pleased I did, because now I can’t stop!

What music did you listen to while writing Fae or Foe?

I don't; I find it distracting. I've tried many times, but I just can't!

What was your favorite scene in Fae or Foe? to write?

When Elsie comes to the rescue of Sammy and Dorcas - loved writing that scene.

What was the hardest scene in The Cracklock Saga to write?

The final scenes, as I wrote Books 1 and 2 together. Trying to figure out where to split them was pretty intensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment